Joe

Okay, I was all ready to get the Asus P4P800E Deluxe motherboard and a
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512k Cache 800 Mhz FSB 478 Northwood core processor
but Intel has stopped making them and has made sure no one will sell
them since they are better, less power hungry, and faster than the 33%
extended pipeline Prescott cores. You can get older P4s but not the
2.8 Ghz as it is the point where the older processor beats their newer
ones.

This being the case I have decided to go with AMD. I had spent so much
time researching the P4P800E, P4 2.8 Ghz, and the Corsair memory that
I was going to use that I was hesitant to throw in the towel but now
feel I have no choice. I have heard AMD is better for gaming which is
what I am planning to use the new computer for but don't have a clue
where to begin. I am going to check out Tom's Hardware and the other
hardware sites to research, but would appreciate comments on the best
Asus AMD processor board and of course what AMD processor to use or
avoid as a starting point for my research. I know the FX ones are too
expensive so I guess a AMD 64 3500 or 3700 with price points around
$280 to $320 would fit the bill for best bang for the buck. PCI
Express is not necessary as I was planning to get an ATI XT800X AIW
video card which is AGP but I can change my mind on that if there are
other concerns such as compatibility or equivalent performance from a
PCI express card. Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

In article <cof671lnhcvrq1i4u9702fbvn53ggqafq5@4ax.com>, Joe
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> Okay, I was all ready to get the Asus P4P800E Deluxe motherboard and a
> Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512k Cache 800 Mhz FSB 478 Northwood core processor
> but Intel has stopped making them and has made sure no one will sell
> them since they are better, less power hungry, and faster than the 33%
> extended pipeline Prescott cores. You can get older P4s but not the
> 2.8 Ghz as it is the point where the older processor beats their newer
> ones.
>
> This being the case I have decided to go with AMD. I had spent so much
> time researching the P4P800E, P4 2.8 Ghz, and the Corsair memory that
> I was going to use that I was hesitant to throw in the towel but now
> feel I have no choice. I have heard AMD is better for gaming which is
> what I am planning to use the new computer for but don't have a clue
> where to begin. I am going to check out Tom's Hardware and the other
> hardware sites to research, but would appreciate comments on the best
> Asus AMD processor board and of course what AMD processor to use or
> avoid as a starting point for my research. I know the FX ones are too
> expensive so I guess a AMD 64 3500 or 3700 with price points around
> $280 to $320 would fit the bill for best bang for the buck. PCI
> Express is not necessary as I was planning to get an ATI XT800X AIW
> video card which is AGP but I can change my mind on that if there are
> other concerns such as compatibility or equivalent performance from a
> PCI express card. Thanks.

Newegg has Northwood processors. The ones I see listed are OEM,
which means you'll need a third party heatsink/fan. The 2.8C
listed here is $189.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116162

For a heatsink/fan, I like the Zalman 7000 series. There are
several models, and basically, the later models support more
sockets than the earlier ones. (There is also an adapter
ring which can be purchased separately, to use some of the
Zalman models with an LGA775 processor. That won't affect you,
but is something to watch for, for other people.)

The only thing to check for, with a Zalman heatsink, is
clearance between the top of the motherboard, and the bottom
of the PSU. If there is a 10mm gap between the edge of the
motherboard, and the PSU case, then there is likely room to
fit a 7000. I like the AlCu, because it weighs a bit less
than the pure copper heatsink, yet cools just as well on an
Intel processor with heatspreader on the top.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7000(AB)_478MBlist_eng.htm

There are currently two gotchas with 865PE boards. One is the
video artifact issue, at high overclock, with 1:1 CPU/Mem
ratio. Using 5:4 ratio is one workaround, while purchasing
the P4C800-E is a better fix (P4C800-E is the board for
overclocking).

Read up on the video artifact issue here:
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62275

Even a P5P800 can have video artifacts (it uses 865PE too):
http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=914703&highlight=p5p800#post914703

The other issue is the failure of ICH5/ICH5R Southbridges, when
some static electricity gets into a USB port. If you have a lot
of "hot-plug" USB toys, that you plug and remove all day long,
I highly recommend the purchase and use of a separate USB2 card
with your P4P800E. Do not use the onboard USB ports at all -
Asus hasn't admitted to the problem, and there is no published
info from Intel, as to whether a different batch of chips fixed the
problem or not. This issue is not a motherboard brand issue, and
is an issue with the design of the Intel Southbridge and its
sensitivity to static electricity:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_456.htm

The AMD boards can also have issues. There are issues with certain
brands and models of SATA drives. Some of the Asus boards overclock
further than others (check out the Anandtech reviews of boards).
I'm afraid no motherboard these days is a "slam dunk" - they all
need research. Check the private forums like abxzone.com,
forums.pcper.com, nforcershq.com, as many of those forums have
"sticky" threads tracking issues with the various boards and
versions of processors. If you are a gamer, I think an Athlon64
motherboard is the right choice, while if you have more mixed
usage planned, spend more time finding benchmarks for the
competing systems.

HTH,
Paul

JEK

Hi,
I use a AMD Athlon64 3200 Winchester (2000Mhz) overclocked to 2800 (stable
2700)on a asus A8N-sli Deluxe, I can really recomend this prosessor because
of the price compared to f.ex FX55 (2600Mhz)
As for the main board i recomend DFI Lanparty, this board oveclock better
than any asus card.

good luck

"Joe" <me@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Okay, I was all ready to get the Asus P4P800E Deluxe motherboard and a
> Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512k Cache 800 Mhz FSB 478 Northwood core processor
> but Intel has stopped making them and has made sure no one will sell
> them since they are better, less power hungry, and faster than the 33%
> extended pipeline Prescott cores. You can get older P4s but not the
> 2.8 Ghz as it is the point where the older processor beats their newer
> ones.
>
> This being the case I have decided to go with AMD. I had spent so much
> time researching the P4P800E, P4 2.8 Ghz, and the Corsair memory that
> I was going to use that I was hesitant to throw in the towel but now
> feel I have no choice. I have heard AMD is better for gaming which is
> what I am planning to use the new computer for but don't have a clue
> where to begin. I am going to check out Tom's Hardware and the other
> hardware sites to research, but would appreciate comments on the best
> Asus AMD processor board and of course what AMD processor to use or
> avoid as a starting point for my research. I know the FX ones are too
> expensive so I guess a AMD 64 3500 or 3700 with price points around
> $280 to $320 would fit the bill for best bang for the buck. PCI
> Express is not necessary as I was planning to get an ATI XT800X AIW
> video card which is AGP but I can change my mind on that if there are
> other concerns such as compatibility or equivalent performance from a
> PCI express card. Thanks.

Paul

Splendid

In article <d4vh7b$fuu$1@bat-news01.osl.basefarm.net>, "jek"
<janerik.kvamsdal@losmail.no> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use a AMD Athlon64 3200 Winchester (2000Mhz) overclocked to 2800 (stable
> 2700)on a asus A8N-sli Deluxe, I can really recomend this prosessor because
> of the price compared to f.ex FX55 (2600Mhz)
> As for the main board i recomend DFI Lanparty, this board oveclock better
> than any asus card.
>
> good luck

No question the DFI boards are capable of some good overclocks.
One comment about them, though, is the BIOS seems to be pretty
twitchy. You would think, if you wrote all your BIOS settings
on a piece of paper, did a clear CMOS, then reentered
all the settings, would give you the same overclock. Some people
find they cannot enter all their overclock tweaks in the same
BIOS session, and have to change a thing, save, boot and test,
then change a second thing, and so on. If you go with the
DFI motherboard, you'll need some patience if you are an
overclocker.

Paul

> "Joe" <me@privacy.net> skrev i meddelandet
> > Okay, I was all ready to get the Asus P4P800E Deluxe motherboard and a
> > Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz 512k Cache 800 Mhz FSB 478 Northwood core processor
> > but Intel has stopped making them and has made sure no one will sell
> > them since they are better, less power hungry, and faster than the 33%
> > extended pipeline Prescott cores. You can get older P4s but not the
> > 2.8 Ghz as it is the point where the older processor beats their newer
> > ones.
> >
> > This being the case I have decided to go with AMD. I had spent so much
> > time researching the P4P800E, P4 2.8 Ghz, and the Corsair memory that
> > I was going to use that I was hesitant to throw in the towel but now
> > feel I have no choice. I have heard AMD is better for gaming which is
> > what I am planning to use the new computer for but don't have a clue
> > where to begin. I am going to check out Tom's Hardware and the other
> > hardware sites to research, but would appreciate comments on the best
> > Asus AMD processor board and of course what AMD processor to use or
> > avoid as a starting point for my research. I know the FX ones are too
> > expensive so I guess a AMD 64 3500 or 3700 with price points around
> > $280 to $320 would fit the bill for best bang for the buck. PCI
> > Express is not necessary as I was planning to get an ATI XT800X AIW
> > video card which is AGP but I can change my mind on that if there are
> > other concerns such as compatibility or equivalent performance from a
> > PCI express card. Thanks.

Joe

Thanks for the info and links Paul!