A8v-e deluxe sata problem with 2HD

Mb: A8V-E DELUXE bios: 1005

2 hd Maxtor:
Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 120 GB
Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 160 GB

Controller SATA works in IDE mode.

Test on each HD: transfer rate about 50 Mb/sec.

Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!

The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
driver VIA 4in1 v456v
driver VIA RAID V430C
driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121

Any idea???

Thank you
11 answers Last reply
More about deluxe sata problem

    In article <UIKce.842017$b5.37333719@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
    says...
    > Mb: A8V-E DELUXE bios: 1005
    >
    > 2 hd Maxtor:
    > Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 120 GB
    > Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 160 GB
    >
    > Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
    >
    > Test on each HD: transfer rate about 50 Mb/sec.
    >
    > Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
    >
    > The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
    > driver VIA 4in1 v456v
    > driver VIA RAID V430C
    > driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
    >
    > Any idea???
    >
    > Thank you

    I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
    hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
    latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
    difference.

    Pollux wrote:
    >>2 hd Maxtor:
    >>Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
    >>Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
    >>The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
    >>driver VIA 4in1 v456v
    >>driver VIA RAID V430C
    >>driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
    >

    > I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
    > hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
    > latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
    > difference.

    as you can see, i'm using the latest drivers.

    The problem still remains. When the two HD exchange data the
    system slows dramatically.

    I'm start to thinking to leave VIA for the Nforce chipset.

    Thanks

    In article <Op0de.844140$b5.37473165@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
    says...
    > Pollux wrote:
    > >>2 hd Maxtor:
    > >>Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
    > >>Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
    > >>The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
    > >>driver VIA 4in1 v456v
    > >>driver VIA RAID V430C
    > >>driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
    > >

    > > I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
    > > hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
    > > latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
    > > difference.
    >
    > as you can see, i'm using the latest drivers.
    >
    > The problem still remains. When the two HD exchange data the
    > system slows dramatically.
    >
    > I'm start to thinking to leave VIA for the Nforce chipset.
    >
    > Thanks

    I was thinking the same before I managed to fix this. I'm still a bit
    pissed off about not having NCP support, but then I'm not sure it would
    make that much difference. I'm very happy with my mobo now.

    Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
    re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
    both drives, what does it say for transfer mode?

    Pollux wrote:

    > Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
    > re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
    > both drives,

    Re-installed the Raid utility, it's all the same.

    > what does it say for transfer mode?

    DMA!

    In article <qJpde.848248$b5.37653112@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
    says...
    > Pollux wrote:
    >

    > > Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
    > > re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
    > > both drives,
    >

    > Re-installed the Raid utility, it's all the same.
    >

    > > what does it say for transfer mode?
    >
    > DMA!

    I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    Pollux wrote:

    > I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

    Things are getting better!

    now the transfer rate Sata1 -> Sata2 is ~40Mb/Sec
    Sata2 -> Sata1 is the same ~4-5Mb/Sec.

    another idea ??? :-)

    Thank you

    In article <l%Dde.1322624$35.49436660@news4.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
    says...
    > Pollux wrote:
    >
    > > I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
    >

    > Things are getting better!
    >
    > now the transfer rate Sata1 -> Sata2 is ~40Mb/Sec
    > Sata2 -> Sata1 is the same ~4-5Mb/Sec.
    >

    > another idea ??? :-)
    >
    > Thank you

    You did that registry trick on both drives right? I guess at this point
    you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.

    Pollux wrote:
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
    >>

    > You did that registry trick on both drives right?

    I think so, i put the key:

    'ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess=1'

    in all the:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    sub keys: 0001,0002,....

    > I guess at this point
    >> you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.

    Nothing... still the same.
    The situation is less critical now, as i told you before.
    Maybe a new driver from VIA or a new BIOS from Asus will
    resolve all. I'm waiting....

    In article <4dJde.851750$b5.37791178@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
    says...
    > Pollux wrote:
    > > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
    > >>

    > > You did that registry trick on both drives right?
    >
    > I think so, i put the key:
    >
    > 'ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess=1'
    >
    > in all the:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >
    > sub keys: 0001,0002,....
    >
    > > I guess at this point
    > >> you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.
    >
    > Nothing... still the same.
    > The situation is less critical now, as i told you before.
    > Maybe a new driver from VIA or a new BIOS from Asus will
    > resolve all. I'm waiting....

    I'm not sure a new driver would solve you problem to be honest. I'm
    pretty sure you've been experiencing the same as me, though it's hard
    for me to tell you what fixed it.

    I guess you could also give Sisoft Sandra a try and see what it reports.

    Pollux wrote:

    > I guess you could also give Sisoft Sandra a try and see what it reports.

    i tried Everest and it says that both hd are working in:

    UDMA active UDMA 6 (ATA-133)

    i don't wont to re-istall winxp, but maybe it will be the
    solution...

    On Thu, 5 May 2005 13:39:04 +0100, Pollux <pollux@nospam.spam> wrote:
    Sorry mate, missed the -e part.

    >The A8V-e only has one SATA controller.