A8v-e deluxe sata problem with 2HD

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2005 4:19:00 PM

Mb: A8V-E DELUXE bios: 1005

2 hd Maxtor:
Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 120 GB
Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 160 GB

Controller SATA works in IDE mode.

Test on each HD: transfer rate about 50 Mb/sec.

Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!

The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
driver VIA 4in1 v456v
driver VIA RAID V430C
driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121

Any idea???

Thank you
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 30, 2005 6:42:05 PM

In article <UIKce.842017$b5.37333719@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
says...
> Mb: A8V-E DELUXE bios: 1005
>
> 2 hd Maxtor:
> Maxtor 6 Y120M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 120 GB
> Maxtor 6 Y160M0 SCSI Disk Device Capacity 160 GB
>
> Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
>
> Test on each HD: transfer rate about 50 Mb/sec.
>
> Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
>
> The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
> driver VIA 4in1 v456v
> driver VIA RAID V430C
> driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
>
> Any idea???
>
> Thank you

I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
difference.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2005 12:27:26 PM

Pollux wrote:
>>2 hd Maxtor:
>>Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
>>Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
>>The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
>>driver VIA 4in1 v456v
>>driver VIA RAID V430C
>>driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
>

> I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
> hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
> latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
> difference.

as you can see, i'm using the latest drivers.

The problem still remains. When the two HD exchange data the
system slows dramatically.

I'm start to thinking to leave VIA for the Nforce chipset.

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2005 5:05:35 PM

In article <Op0de.844140$b5.37473165@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
says...
> Pollux wrote:
> >>2 hd Maxtor:
> >>Controller SATA works in IDE mode.
> >>Test betwen 2 HD tranfer rate about 4 Mb/sec!!!
> >>The system works in WindowsXp sp2,
> >>driver VIA 4in1 v456v
> >>driver VIA RAID V430C
> >>driver VIA IDE Accelerator V121
> >

> > I had exactly the same issue until a few days ago. I always thought my
> > hard drive was a bit slow, but never thought much of it. I installed
> > latest Hyperion drivers and the VIA raid tool and it made a huge
> > difference.
>
> as you can see, i'm using the latest drivers.
>
> The problem still remains. When the two HD exchange data the
> system slows dramatically.
>
> I'm start to thinking to leave VIA for the Nforce chipset.
>
> Thanks

I was thinking the same before I managed to fix this. I'm still a bit
pissed off about not having NCP support, but then I'm not sure it would
make that much difference. I'm very happy with my mobo now.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
both drives, what does it say for transfer mode?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 5:15:02 PM

Pollux wrote:

> Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
> re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
> both drives,

Re-installed the Raid utility, it's all the same.

> what does it say for transfer mode?

DMA!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 10:14:52 PM

In article <qJpde.848248$b5.37653112@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
says...
> Pollux wrote:
>

> > Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this. Have you tried
> > re-installing the Raid utility? In the RAID utility, when you click on
> > both drives,
>

> Re-installed the Raid utility, it's all the same.
>

> > what does it say for transfer mode?
>
> DMA!

I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2005 9:29:53 AM

Pollux wrote:

> I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472

Things are getting better!

now the transfer rate Sata1 -> Sata2 is ~40Mb/Sec
Sata2 -> Sata1 is the same ~4-5Mb/Sec.

another idea ??? :-)

Thank you
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2005 1:49:36 PM

In article <l%Dde.1322624$35.49436660@news4.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
says...
> Pollux wrote:
>
> > I also tried this, so it might help in your case too:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
>

> Things are getting better!
>
> now the transfer rate Sata1 -> Sata2 is ~40Mb/Sec
> Sata2 -> Sata1 is the same ~4-5Mb/Sec.
>

> another idea ??? :-)
>
> Thank you

You did that registry trick on both drives right? I guess at this point
you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2005 3:25:52 PM

Pollux wrote:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
>>

> You did that registry trick on both drives right?

I think so, i put the key:

'ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess=1'

in all the:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

sub keys: 0001,0002,....

> I guess at this point
>> you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.

Nothing... still the same.
The situation is less critical now, as i told you before.
Maybe a new driver from VIA or a new BIOS from Asus will
resolve all. I'm waiting....
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 3, 2005 9:33:58 PM

In article <4dJde.851750$b5.37791178@news3.tin.it>, prova@prova.com
says...
> Pollux wrote:
> > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817472
> >>

> > You did that registry trick on both drives right?
>
> I think so, i put the key:
>
> 'ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess=1'
>
> in all the:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
>
> sub keys: 0001,0002,....
>
> > I guess at this point
> >> you could try re-installing the hyperion drivers and the sata raid one.
>
> Nothing... still the same.
> The situation is less critical now, as i told you before.
> Maybe a new driver from VIA or a new BIOS from Asus will
> resolve all. I'm waiting....

I'm not sure a new driver would solve you problem to be honest. I'm
pretty sure you've been experiencing the same as me, though it's hard
for me to tell you what fixed it.

I guess you could also give Sisoft Sandra a try and see what it reports.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 4, 2005 5:08:47 PM

Pollux wrote:

> I guess you could also give Sisoft Sandra a try and see what it reports.

i tried Everest and it says that both hd are working in:

UDMA active UDMA 6 (ATA-133)

i don't wont to re-istall winxp, but maybe it will be the
solution...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 5, 2005 6:52:29 PM