disk configuration

I am building a system on the P4C800-E DELUXE

I have one Serial ATA150 drive.
And 2 ATA100 drives.

I plan on putting XP on the ATA100.

My question is:
Would it be a faster system if I put the applications programs on the 150
(an therefore interfere with XP) or the one of the100s?

Jim

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote:
>I am building a system on the P4C800-E DELUXE
>
>I have one Serial ATA150 drive.
>And 2 ATA100 drives.
>
>I plan on putting XP on the ATA100.
>
>My question is:
>Would it be a faster system if I put the applications programs on the 150
>(an therefore interfere with XP) or the one of the100s?
>
>Jim

I'd put Xp and the programs on the Sata (150) and whatever else on the 2
IDE's (ATA100). And use the ICH5R controler. It's faster and putts less
load on the cpu than the Promise.

Nickeldome

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Nickeldome:
>And use the ICH5R controler. It's faster and putts less
>load on the cpu than the Promise.

Are there two SATA controllers on the MB? I must be using one, bc my system
drive is SATA. But how do I know which one I'm using? RAID vs regular? I'm
not running a RAID array.
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z.invalid> wrote:
>Per Nickeldome:
>>And use the ICH5R controler. It's faster and putts less
>>load on the cpu than the Promise.
>
>Are there two SATA controllers on the MB? I must be using one, bc my system
>drive is SATA. But how do I know which one I'm using? RAID vs regular?
>I'm
>not running a RAID array.
>--
>PeteCresswell

Sata1-2 (the top ones) are the ICH5R connectors. You can use them independent
or configure them as a raid0 array. Sata_Raid1-2 and the ata100 connector belong
to the Promise controler (Raid0 or 0+1). The ICH5R is embedded and shows up
in the bios. You have to press ctrl+F to access the settings of Promise.

Nickeldome

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Nickeldome:
>Sata1-2 (the top ones) are the ICH5R connectors. You can use them independent
>or configure them as a raid0 array. Sata_Raid1-2 and the ata100 connector belong
>to the Promise controler (Raid0 or 0+1). The ICH5R is embedded and shows up
>in the bios. You have to press ctrl+F to access the settings of Promise.

Thanks. Not wanting a RAID config, I didn't connect to the connectors labeled
"RAID", so I guess I'm on the ICH5R.
--
PeteCresswell