Help: The specified network name is no longer available

Hi,

I have researched this problem on the web. Many have asked the question,
there have been no good answers. Let's try here.

I have a network with a cable modem feeding an SMC 7004AWBR. There is one
hardwired computer. There are 2 wireless computers. All computers can
access the internet. All computers can see each other. They all run Windows
XP pro.

Here's the problem. If I try to copy a single small file from the hardwired
computer to a mapped drive on a wireless computer it works fine. If I try
this with a backup of many files both large and small, sooner or later the
process hangs and gives and error message: "The specified network name is
no longer available".

What causes this?

tia
3 answers Last reply
More about help network longer available

    Is your wireless connected by USB by any chance, and if so is it via a non
    powered hub?

    --
    Regards
    Ken.......................

    "Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in

    > Is your wireless connected by USB by any chance, and if so is it via a
    > non powered hub?

    No. In this case, the wireless nic is a pci card.

    Regards

    I am having the same problem. I've seen reports of this elsewhere, but have
    not found a solution.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Rich Maggio

    "random electron" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have researched this problem on the web. Many have asked the question,
    > there have been no good answers. Let's try here.
    >
    > I have a network with a cable modem feeding an SMC 7004AWBR. There is one
    > hardwired computer. There are 2 wireless computers. All computers can
    > access the internet. All computers can see each other. They all run Windows
    > XP pro.
    >
    > Here's the problem. If I try to copy a single small file from the hardwired
    > computer to a mapped drive on a wireless computer it works fine. If I try
    > this with a backup of many files both large and small, sooner or later the
    > process hangs and gives and error message: "The specified network name is
    > no longer available".
    >
    > What causes this?
    >
    > tia

Wireless Computers Wireless Networking