Help: The specified network name is no longer available

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 3:07:29 AM

Hi,

I have researched this problem on the web. Many have asked the question,
there have been no good answers. Let's try here.

I have a network with a cable modem feeding an SMC 7004AWBR. There is one
hardwired computer. There are 2 wireless computers. All computers can
access the internet. All computers can see each other. They all run Windows
XP pro.

Here's the problem. If I try to copy a single small file from the hardwired
computer to a mapped drive on a wireless computer it works fine. If I try
this with a backup of many files both large and small, sooner or later the
process hangs and gives and error message: "The specified network name is
no longer available".

What causes this?

tia

More about : network longer

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 3:14:50 AM

Is your wireless connected by USB by any chance, and if so is it via a non
powered hub?

--
Regards
Ken.......................

"random electron" <fake@fake.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have researched this problem on the web. Many have asked the question,
> there have been no good answers. Let's try here.
>
> I have a network with a cable modem feeding an SMC 7004AWBR. There is one
> hardwired computer. There are 2 wireless computers. All computers can
> access the internet. All computers can see each other. They all run
Windows
> XP pro.
>
> Here's the problem. If I try to copy a single small file from the
hardwired
> computer to a mapped drive on a wireless computer it works fine. If I try
> this with a backup of many files both large and small, sooner or later the
> process hangs and gives and error message: "The specified network name is
> no longer available".
>
> What causes this?
>
> tia
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 7:38:04 AM

"Ken Wright" <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in

> Is your wireless connected by USB by any chance, and if so is it via a
> non powered hub?

No. In this case, the wireless nic is a pci card.

Regards
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 3, 2005 2:27:35 PM

I am having the same problem. I've seen reports of this elsewhere, but have
not found a solution.

Any help is appreciated.

Rich Maggio

!