video editing pc

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 1, 2005 5:52:54 PM

I'm thinking of building this system as a video editing platform

Asus A8V Deluxe V.2.0
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ !MB 90nm Rev. E
2 pieces OCZ 1GB DDR (400) 3200 (OCZ4002048PFDC-K) Ram

I have an ATI 8500 video card I'll use for now, upgrade after I save a few
more $'s

Am I going the right direction? Are there other choices that might be
better?

Jeff

More about : video editing

May 2, 2005 2:01:17 AM

In article <b7idnZp29rjliujfRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, "Jeff"
<design@nospam.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking of building this system as a video editing platform
>
> Asus A8V Deluxe V.2.0
> AMD Athlon 64 4000+ !MB 90nm Rev. E
> 2 pieces OCZ 1GB DDR (400) 3200 (OCZ4002048PFDC-K) Ram
>
> I have an ATI 8500 video card I'll use for now, upgrade after I save a few
> more $'s
>
> Am I going the right direction? Are there other choices that might be
> better?
>
> Jeff

Do you know what applications you will be using yet ?
I really recommend finding some representative benchmarks
at a site like Anandtech, to make sure you are starting
with the right platform.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=238...

Some people use hardware acceleration for their video station,
and that adds the complication of finding a motherboard which
is compatible with the accelerator card(s). If you are
planning on buying a hardware accelerator, that may have
a major bearing on what motherboard you can buy. Some
of the Canopus stuff, doesn't work with just any motherboard.

HTH,
Paul
!