video editing pc

I'm thinking of building this system as a video editing platform

Asus A8V Deluxe V.2.0
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ !MB 90nm Rev. E
2 pieces OCZ 1GB DDR (400) 3200 (OCZ4002048PFDC-K) Ram

I have an ATI 8500 video card I'll use for now, upgrade after I save a few
more $'s

Am I going the right direction? Are there other choices that might be
better?

Jeff
1 answer Last reply
More about video editing

    In article <b7idnZp29rjliujfRVn-pQ@comcast.com>, "Jeff"
    <design@nospam.com> wrote:

    > I'm thinking of building this system as a video editing platform
    >
    > Asus A8V Deluxe V.2.0
    > AMD Athlon 64 4000+ !MB 90nm Rev. E
    > 2 pieces OCZ 1GB DDR (400) 3200 (OCZ4002048PFDC-K) Ram
    >
    > I have an ATI 8500 video card I'll use for now, upgrade after I save a few
    > more $'s
    >
    > Am I going the right direction? Are there other choices that might be
    > better?
    >
    > Jeff

    Do you know what applications you will be using yet ?
    I really recommend finding some representative benchmarks
    at a site like Anandtech, to make sure you are starting
    with the right platform.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2389&p=4

    Some people use hardware acceleration for their video station,
    and that adds the complication of finding a motherboard which
    is compatible with the accelerator card(s). If you are
    planning on buying a hardware accelerator, that may have
    a major bearing on what motherboard you can buy. Some
    of the Canopus stuff, doesn't work with just any motherboard.

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Video Editing Motherboards