MS Wireless Optical Desktop HALO problems

I bought the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop yesterday and set it up
according to the manual. Mouse and keyboard works perfectly
fine in Windows, but I have certain difficulties with playing FPS games like
Halo or Doom3.
For instance: I am able to walk in all directions by keyboard
presses alone, no problem at all. But once I move the mouse to look around
or turn sideways, my character just stops.
It seems that I can't use the keyboard and mouse simultaneously, which
(obviously) makes gaming impossible.
In essence: I'm going nuts...

Any ideas, people?

*Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop mouse/keyboard
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
MSI KT4 Ultra
768 mb RAM
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless optical desktop halo problems

    > I bought the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop yesterday and set it
    up
    > according to the manual. Mouse and keyboard works perfectly
    > fine in Windows, but I have certain difficulties with playing FPS
    games like
    > Halo or Doom3.

    Do any of the mouse buttons result in any response in the game? Can
    you use a regular wired P2/2 or USB mouse successfully in these games?
    If you never used a mouse with these games, check the game's Settings
    or Options under the Controller or Movement section and make sure the
    mouse is enabled and configured for controlling movement. I have both
    games and if a working mouse was installed on the box when you
    installed the game it should have enabled the mouse. However, I don't
    know what happens if either a) there is no mouse present when the game
    is installed or b) the game is played at some point later with no
    mouse installed.

    Good luck,

    ---
    Papaboojum

    Yup, I have been using a regular wired USB mouse with no problems at all...
    sadly it broke three days ago, or I wouldn't have made the"upgrade" to a
    wireless solution... :o(
    All three mouse buttons work fine, but it's almost like there's some kind of
    interference between the mouse and keyboard signals, as they work fine one
    by one. They share one single reciever, but I find it hard to believe that
    this should be an issue these days.... or what?

    Thanks for your reply, mate! :o)
    Still going crazy... aaaaarhhh...

    *Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop mouse/keyboard
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
    MSI KT4 Ultra
    768 mb RAM

    In the game configurations/settings, have you looked for anything
    labeled hardware mouse or hardware keyboard? In several games that I
    have (I use a BlueTooth Wireless Keyboard), I need to use the hardware
    mouse/keyboard for the input devices instead of the actual name of the
    keyboard (which shows up as Microsoft BlueTooth Wireless Keyboard or
    something similar).

    Here is my understanding as to why selecting this as the input device
    does not work and feel free to add comments or thoughts on this. When
    you select hardware keyboard/mouse, the video game uses Windows to
    control the devices and allows Windows to interpret the information
    being sent to the computer (through the drivers). When you select the
    Wireless Keyboard in the options, the game tries to gather the input
    from the drivers directly instead of allowing Windows to tell it what
    the input was. The one game that comes to mind that exhibited this
    behavior for me was Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (not quite the same
    type of game, but may have similar options).

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Thomas wrote:
    > Yup, I have been using a regular wired USB mouse with no problems at all...
    > sadly it broke three days ago, or I wouldn't have made the"upgrade" to a
    > wireless solution... :o(
    > All three mouse buttons work fine, but it's almost like there's some kind of
    > interference between the mouse and keyboard signals, as they work fine one
    > by one. They share one single reciever, but I find it hard to believe that
    > this should be an issue these days.... or what?
    >
    > Thanks for your reply, mate! :o)
    > Still going crazy... aaaaarhhh...
    >
    > *Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop mouse/keyboard
    > Windows XP Pro SP2
    > AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    > ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
    > MSI KT4 Ultra
    > 768 mb RAM

    If you connected with PS/2, try switching to USB instead. It worked for me.
    My situation:

    I had that same problem with the Optical Desktop Comfort Edition. It
    happens not only in games, but even in something like Notepad as well. In
    Notepad or Call of Duty, I would hold down one key and it would respond.
    After a short (random) period of time, the key would cut out and I would
    have to release the key and repress it for it to respond.

    I used mskey.exe to check the input of the keyboard and here's what I got:
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Unknown keyboard input - 0x59
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Key: E (make) - 0x12
    Key: E (make) - 0x12

    I don't know if this is some culprit, but it does hint as something weird.
    As I type this, I can see the "Unknown keyboard input" message appearing
    from time to time.

    So I switched to USB instead of PS/2. The problem seemed to have
    disappeared. I don't know if this is the issue, but switching to USB worked
    for me.

    Hope this helps
    Brian Abram
    bjabram@hotmail.com

    "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
    > In the game configurations/settings, have you looked for anything labeled
    > hardware mouse or hardware keyboard? In several games that I have (I use
    > a BlueTooth Wireless Keyboard), I need to use the hardware mouse/keyboard
    > for the input devices instead of the actual name of the keyboard (which
    > shows up as Microsoft BlueTooth Wireless Keyboard or something similar).
    >
    > Here is my understanding as to why selecting this as the input device does
    > not work and feel free to add comments or thoughts on this. When you
    > select hardware keyboard/mouse, the video game uses Windows to control the
    > devices and allows Windows to interpret the information being sent to the
    > computer (through the drivers). When you select the Wireless Keyboard in
    > the options, the game tries to gather the input from the drivers directly
    > instead of allowing Windows to tell it what the input was. The one game
    > that comes to mind that exhibited this behavior for me was Prince of
    > Persia: Sands of Time (not quite the same type of game, but may have
    > similar options).
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Thomas wrote:
    >> Yup, I have been using a regular wired USB mouse with no problems at
    >> all...
    >> sadly it broke three days ago, or I wouldn't have made the"upgrade" to a
    >> wireless solution... :o(
    >> All three mouse buttons work fine, but it's almost like there's some kind
    >> of
    >> interference between the mouse and keyboard signals, as they work fine
    >> one
    >> by one. They share one single reciever, but I find it hard to believe
    >> that
    >> this should be an issue these days.... or what?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply, mate! :o)
    >> Still going crazy... aaaaarhhh...
    >>
    >> *Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop mouse/keyboard
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2
    >> AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    >> ATI 9800 Pro 128mb
    >> MSI KT4 Ultra
    >> 768 mb RAM

Mice Wireless Optical Desktop Microsoft Windows XP