Why printer installed as 740 ESC/P and not USB in XP

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 25, 2004 2:14:40 AM

When using my Epson 740 printer on Win98 it installed as Epson 740 USB
and worked fine. Now using WinXP is installs as a 740 ESC/P and
operates anything but fine.

What does ESC/P indicate? How can I install it to the USB port as it
is supposed to be.

Thanks in advance,

Marie
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 2:14:41 AM

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <9pp3b0dtr2kiuqqbsrmaq78363vmgfgkn0@4ax.com>, dokee@tpg.com.au
says...
> When using my Epson 740 printer on Win98 it installed as Epson 740 USB
> and worked fine. Now using WinXP is installs as a 740 ESC/P and
> operates anything but fine.
>
> What does ESC/P indicate? How can I install it to the USB port as it
> is supposed to be.

ESC/P is the printer language. Under Win98, you probably had Epson-
specific drivers. Under XP, you are probably using the built-in drivers.
Just what is not working properly?

A quick check of Epson's web site doesn't show XP specific drivers,
although there are Win2K drivers that MIGHT work. You can also download
the status monitor if you like that kind of stuff running in the
background. (Long link below, cut & paste back together)
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.js...
BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14422&prodoid=10614
&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
May 26, 2004 10:10:56 AM

"Marie" <dokee@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> When using my Epson 740 printer on Win98 it installed as Epson 740 USB
> and worked fine. Now using WinXP is installs as a 740 ESC/P and
> operates anything but fine.
>
> What does ESC/P indicate? How can I install it to the USB port as it
> is supposed to be.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Marie

You have to install Epson's USB driver from the CD. Not an easy task as I
remember, quite convoluted.

Eddie
!