wireless can't see desktop

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
January 29, 2005 2:13:01 AM

I am having the same issue as many. I have an existing wireless network
configured as follows:
Cable comes into modem, modem hardwired to wireless router (linksys WRT54G).
Dell Desktop with windows XP with Service Pack 2 which runs 2 printers is
hardwired to router.
E Machine running windows 98 with Linksys Wireless adapter.
This has worked well for 2 years.
Enter the new HP notebook (XP with Service Pack 2) with Wireless Netowrk
Broadcom connection. It has Internet Access but cannot see the DELL nor use
any of the printers

I have run all the wizards,
I have looked at all the troubleshooting.
I have disable firewalls and AntiVirus software.
All the computers can PING each other.

I've spent probably 20 hours on the phone with MS tech support.

The HP can look at all the files on the E machine.
The emachine can look at the files on the Dell and the HP.
The Dell can see all the files on the E machine.
The Dell and Emachine can each PRINT to either printer.
The Dell sees itself and the Emachine in the "workgroup" computer
The HP only can see itself in the view workgroup computers.
All computers are in the same workgroup and each has an individual name.

The Dell can "\\the E machine"
The HP can "\\the E machine"
The Dell cannot "\\the HP" the error message is "hetwork path cannot be
found"
The HP cannot "\\the Dell" same error message "network path cannot be found"

I am at a loss as to how to get the HP to see the DELL and vice versa.
I don't know how to adjust the NETBIOS which is what I think needs to happen
on the HP. Can someone out there help me? Thanks
--
Karen

More about : wireless desktop

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 2:55:53 AM

Karen says:
>>Can someone out there help me?>>

Do you have NetBEUI set up on the network...I had the same problem when I
got my laptop, and that seemed to fix it...

--
:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs

How can I tell if NetBEUI is set up on the network and if not, how do I get
it set up?

"The Baba" wrote:

> Karen says:
> >>Can someone out there help me?>>
>
> Do you have NetBEUI set up on the network...I had the same problem when I
> got my laptop, and that seemed to fix it...
>
> --
> :-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'**'``'*:-.,_,.-:
> Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
> http://members.cox.net/thebaba/WS.html

a b F Wireless
January 29, 2005 11:47:55 AM

NetBEUI is a protocol like TCP/IP or IPX.

To install it do the following:
1. double click on your wireless connection in the system tray
2. click on properties (Now you can see the options and protocols installed
for this connection)
3. click on Install
4. click on protocol
5. find the protocol you want to install and there you are.

Just some info, not all machines show NetBEUI as an option to install
though. And I dont know why you would need it, unless you have some funky
network setup running. Also IPX is an old gaming networking protocol, most
games wont need it today, unless you are playing some older ones.

Robert...

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I tell if NetBEUI is set up on the network and if not, how do I
> get
> it set up?
>

> "The Baba" wrote:
>
>> Karen says:
>>
>> Do you have NetBEUI set up on the network...I had the same problem when I
>> got my laptop, and that seemed to fix it...
>>
>> --
>> Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Champs
>> http://members.cox.net/thebaba/WS.html

January 29, 2005 11:53:12 PM

Hi
Adding NetBEUI as Sharing Protocol in WinXP:
http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

!