H.D. Swap on a P4C800ED

After investigating every cause I can think of for spontaneous reboots on a
P4C800ED I would like to swap out the motherboard with a new one. I have new
memory and a P4e3.0gig that I would install at the same time. There are a
lot of programs installed on the original drive C hard disk and I wonder if
I can just install that? I haven't done this for years and the last time
seem to remember it didn't work.

So-- The O.S. is XPPro SP2. Can I expect that to work okay with a new
motherboard and cpu or is it reformat and re-install time?

--
jherringshaw@mindspring.com
Janet Herringshaw

    I'm considering buying this m/b and would like to put the fastest CPU
    and RAM I can on it, but the manual is a bit confusing.

    If I read it correctly, I should be able to drop the latest LGA775
    Pentium 4 EE (the 3.73 GHz Prescott 1066MHz FSB) in with four sticks
    of Samsung M378T6453FG0-CE6.

    Also, that CPU supports EM64T, correct? So I should be able to run
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on it, right? Is there any reason
    I wouldn't want to? If not, which video card with STABLE 64-bit
    drivers is recommended?

    Is setting AI Overclocking and DRAM Frequency to "Auto" enough to get
    such a system to detect that it can run at FSB 1066 and actually do
    so?

    Thanks in advance!

    If you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer, then you MUST reformat
    the harddrive and reinstall the OS. Otherwise you will suffer ongoing nasty
    Registry errors and data corruption.

    --
    DaveW

    "Janet Herringshaw" <jherringshaw@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > After investigating every cause I can think of for spontaneous reboots on
    > P4C800ED I would like to swap out the motherboard with a new one. I have
    > new
    > memory and a P4e3.0gig that I would install at the same time. There are a
    > lot of programs installed on the original drive C hard disk and I wonder
    > if
    > I can just install that? I haven't done this for years and the last time
    > seem to remember it didn't work.
    >
    > So-- The O.S. is XPPro SP2. Can I expect that to work okay with a new
    > motherboard and cpu or is it reformat and re-install time?
    >

    > --
    > jherringshaw@mindspring.com
    > Janet Herringshaw
    > MD2MD
    > Pescadero, CA
    > 650-879-0546

    You have to 'repair the installation'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

    "Janet Herringshaw" <jherringshaw@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > After investigating every cause I can think of for spontaneous reboots on
    > P4C800ED I would like to swap out the motherboard with a new one. I have
    new
    > memory and a P4e3.0gig that I would install at the same time. There are a
    > lot of programs installed on the original drive C hard disk and I wonder
    if
    > I can just install that? I haven't done this for years and the last time
    > seem to remember it didn't work.
    >
    > So-- The O.S. is XPPro SP2. Can I expect that to work okay with a new
    > motherboard and cpu or is it reformat and re-install time?
    >

    > --
    > jherringshaw@mindspring.com
    > Janet Herringshaw
    > MD2MD
    > Pescadero, CA
    > 650-879-0546

    Per DaveW:
    >If you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer, then you MUST reformat
    >the harddrive and reinstall the OS. Otherwise you will suffer ongoing nasty
    >Registry errors and data corruption.

    Same thing for 2000 Pro?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    Not neccessary - I've never done it, after numerous upgrades on various sys

    In article <m3br7r6hyv.fsf_-_@yakisoba.forte-intl.com>, Ronald Cole
    <ronald@forte-intl.com> wrote:

    > I'm considering buying this m/b and would like to put the fastest CPU
    > and RAM I can on it, but the manual is a bit confusing.
    >
    > If I read it correctly, I should be able to drop the latest LGA775
    > Pentium 4 EE (the 3.73 GHz Prescott 1066MHz FSB) in with four sticks
    > of Samsung M378T6453FG0-CE6.
    >
    > Also, that CPU supports EM64T, correct? So I should be able to run
    > Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on it, right? Is there any reason
    > I wouldn't want to? If not, which video card with STABLE 64-bit
    > drivers is recommended?
    >
    > Is setting AI Overclocking and DRAM Frequency to "Auto" enough to get
    > such a system to detect that it can run at FSB 1066 and actually do
    > so?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Normally I'd suggest starting with the processorfinder.intel.com
    web page, but not all the processors seem to be properly listed
    there.

    If you start at the processor product page:

    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm?iid=HPAGE+header_products_processors&

    then go to the extreme edition page, it says EM64T support is
    there. (I prefer to see the support listed versus the exact model
    of processor, as web pages like this are likely not updated
    frequently.)

    http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pentium4HTXE/index.htm

    Proof of EM64T is in the datasheet for the 3.73GHz/FSB1066 processor.
    http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30638201.pdf

    This Intel chipset page says DDR2-533 CAS3? is what Intel considers
    the top performance level...

    http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/925xe/index.htm

    The natural (1:1) clock ratio would be FSB1066 and DDR2-533. Both
    use 266MHz clock. The Asus motherboard manual mentions support
    for DDR2-711, which is a 3:4 ratio from CPU to memory. I think this
    comes from Intel's support for both DDR2-400 and DDR2-533 when the
    FSB is FSB800 - the 3:4 ratio comes from the attempt to support
    DDR2-533 at FSB800. Then, when you run at FSB1066, the supported
    memory speeds should become DDR2-533 and DDR2-711.

    This Samsung page lists your 512MB memory choice as 5-5-5 memory
    at DDR2-667.

    http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/DRAM/DDR2SDRAM/DDR2SDRAMmodule/UnbufferedDIMM/M378T6453FG0/M378T6453FG0.htm

    Here are some alternate memories:

    DDR2-800 at 5-5-5-10, available as 2x512MB or 2x1024MB.

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_gold_dual_channel

    DDR2-800 at 4-3-3-8, available as 2x512MB

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_enhanced_bandwidth_dual_channel

    The only comparison of two versus four DIMMs I can find.
    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2288&p=3

    This article compares running at 711 versus 533, and winrar
    gets a 2% performance improvement from the faster memory.
    This article also explains what memory settings are available.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041101/index.html

    Anandtech reviews performance of some low latency DDR2.
    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2306

    An earlier review of first gen DDR2, suggesting overclocking
    works very well with DDR2 memories.
    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2112

    It is possible four sticks of the lower latency RAM will run
    at the same settings as two sticks of the higher latency
    RAM (of the OCZ found above - and assuming a +1 CAS
    latency penalty for using four DIMMs). It is too bad that
    Wesley did not list the command rate when running four sticks,
    or provide even a memtest86 bandwidth reading for that config,
    so we could get some idea of whether the chipset suffers
    a penalty with four sticks.

    With the memory ratings not lining up with the motherboard
    settings, it makes it very hard to find just
    the right combination of RAM to use. 2x1024 would be a
    desirable RAM configuration, if some with decent latency
    could be found. Maybe those 5-5-5 DDR2-800 ones above would
    be the least hassle to use, if 711 was your only target.
    The OCZ-4200EB 3-2-2-8 2x1024MB memory could be run at
    DDR2-533, leaving DDR2-711 as an overclocking experiment.
    I cannot find enough review data to decide which is the best
    course of action.

    The FSB1066 processor has three BSEL pins on the bottom. They
    automatically encode FSB1066 as the desired operating
    frequency. But, I would never trust totally automatic settings.
    At the very least, get a copy of CPUZ and verify that the BIOS
    is setting the frequencies and memory timings according to the
    manufacturer's specs. Depending on which memory strategy you
    use, you could spend quite a bit of time tuning the memory
    manually for best performance. The DDR2-800 5-5-5 memory
    would be close to automatic, but not very aggressive. (I.e.
    Asus may not select DDR2-711 by default, but may require the
    user to switch from a default of DDR2-533. So, you may have
    at least one setting to make, to get memory running at 711.
    I doubt that decision would be automatically done for you.)

    Post back with your experiences, as there is not a lot of
    info on DDR2 to be had.

    HTH,
    Paul

    "Janet Herringshaw" <jherringshaw@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > After investigating every cause I can think of for spontaneous reboots on
    > P4C800ED I would like to swap out the motherboard with a new one. I have
    new
    > memory and a P4e3.0gig that I would install at the same time. There are a
    > lot of programs installed on the original drive C hard disk and I wonder
    if
    > I can just install that? I haven't done this for years and the last time
    > seem to remember it didn't work.
    >
    > So-- The O.S. is XPPro SP2. Can I expect that to work okay with a new
    > motherboard and cpu or is it reformat and re-install time?
    >

    > --
    > jherringshaw@mindspring.com
    > Janet Herringshaw
    > MD2MD
    > Pescadero, CA
    > 650-879-0546

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824125

    Dave, its time for you to do a repair and actually learn what it does, and
    that this incessantly incorrect advice is tiresome.

    - Tim

    > If you change the motherboard in an XP OS computer, then you MUST reformat
    > the harddrive and reinstall the OS. Otherwise you will suffer ongoing
    > nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > "Janet Herringshaw" <jherringshaw@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> After investigating every cause I can think of for spontaneous reboots on
    >> P4C800ED I would like to swap out the motherboard with a new one. I have
    >> new
    >> memory and a P4e3.0gig that I would install at the same time. There are a
    >> lot of programs installed on the original drive C hard disk and I wonder
    >> if
    >> I can just install that? I haven't done this for years and the last time
    >> seem to remember it didn't work.
    >>
    >> So-- The O.S. is XPPro SP2. Can I expect that to work okay with a new
    >> motherboard and cpu or is it reformat and re-install time?
    >>

    >> --
    >> jherringshaw@mindspring.com
    >> Janet Herringshaw
    >> MD2MD