sata hard drive addition

Using windows xp professional.... I added another hard
drive. Windows does not seem to pick it up and let me
partion and format it. Bios sees it. Is there something
special I need to do to partion this drive and format it?
Something at boot up? I thought xp would see it if it is
in the bios and ask me what I want to do with the new hardware.
Help anyone????
Thanks

bar

OK, you'll need to give a lot more information in orderto get the correct
answer for your situation.

Try telling us:
1. What drive
2. What Motherboard
3. Plug in Controller Card or On-board
4. RAID level if using RAID
5. Controller Type for SATA

In a nut shell, if BIOS identifies an IDE drive Windows has built in drivers
to recognise the drive, you can then go to DIsk Management and Partition /
Format and assign a drive letter.

XP will do the same for SATA if all the Drivers are correct for the specific
application of the SATA drive.

"Teri" wrote:

> Using windows xp professional.... I added another hard
> drive. Windows does not seem to pick it up and let me
> partion and format it. Bios sees it. Is there something
> special I need to do to partion this drive and format it?
> Something at boot up? I thought xp would see it if it is
> in the bios and ask me what I want to do with the new hardware.
> Help anyone????
> Thanks

Thanks for swift reply.
installed on sata 2 not Sata RAID
ASUS p4c800-e
on board controller ICH5R
The drivers are correct for the application of SATA drive.
I will try your suggestion about going to DISK Management.
Teri

Yes, right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management,
right click on the new drive and set it up. I would also suggest seeing
if you can get those drives working in RAID1 as you will see a large
performance increase and your data will be much safer (and if you don't
care as much about the data as you do the speed, RAID0 is your beast) ;)

You should be able to do this without reinstalling Windows.

----
Nathan McNulty