ACPI 2.0 question ..........??

Hi I have an P5P800 Asus and I just got a Antec EPS12V Truepower 550W
PSU 2.0 version (24 pin).
First under power in bios it list ACPI. Does this refer to my new
Antec 2.0? Do I enable it? What benefits does enabling it to 2.0 table
do?

CPU.............Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 530 Prescott 3.00GHz

Mobo....ASUS P5P800 BIOS Rev 1005

Chipset.....Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 2

System Memory...........2048 MB (DDR SDRAM)
{4-Corsair XMS CMX512-3200LL modules}
1 answer Last reply
More about acpi question

    In article <276g71pld45che1o9kujgjll8e5co8gj7e@4ax.com>, Ronald Reitch LMT
    <myemail@email.net> wrote:

    > Hi I have an P5P800 Asus and I just got a Antec EPS12V Truepower 550W
    > PSU 2.0 version (24 pin).
    > First under power in bios it list ACPI. Does this refer to my new
    > Antec 2.0? Do I enable it? What benefits does enabling it to 2.0 table
    > do?

    > CPU.............Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 530 Prescott 3.00GHz
    >
    > Mobo....ASUS P5P800 BIOS Rev 1005
    >
    > Chipset.....Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2
    > Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 2
    >
    > System Memory...........2048 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    > {4-Corsair XMS CMX512-3200LL modules}

    Power supplies are not enumerated by a computer. There is
    no communication between the PSU and the CPU. The monitor
    chip can read the voltages, and that is about all the
    intelligence that is available (maybe PSU fan speed, if you
    have a fan speed cable).

    This is a good page for ACPI info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACPI

    You can download an ACPI 2 spec here. They don't have a nice
    summary section listing the differences, so it isn't easy to
    say what the user visible differences might be, when you
    change that BIOS setting. I would say, if your computer sleeps
    and hibernates properly, and shuts down properly when asked to
    do so, just leave the setting the way it is.

    http://www.acpi.info/

    The "2.0" in your new power supply, refers to the ATX power
    supply spec. The version 2.0 spec changes the power connector
    from 20 to 24 pins. It also splits the 12V rail into 12V1 and
    12V2. One of those 12V outputs, powers only the processor. The
    other 12V output powers disk drives and the rest of the
    motherboard, including video cards.

    http://www.formfactors.org/devlist.asp?FFID=1&CatID=2

    12V was split in two pieces, AFAICT, to limit the power on
    an individual output. This allows the power supply to receive
    certain "agency approvals". Basically, the purpose of limiting
    the power on any transformer output, is to reduce the risk of
    fire, if a short develops that cannot be detected as a fault
    by the supply.

    The down side of splitting the 12V output, into two or more
    separate outputs, is there is not sharing of any over-abundance
    of power on one output, with the other. Say, for example, that
    your processor doesn't use all the power available on its
    private supply. That abundance cannot be donated to your
    video cards. This is fairly important on an SLI setup, and is
    one reason why what would otherwise be decent supplies, do not
    seem to work well.

    As an example, compare the Turbocool 510 from pcpowerandcooling,
    to their newly offered 850 watt supply.

    The 510 versions are here. A single 12V rail shared by all loads.
    http://pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/maxperformance/turbocools/index_hp_atx.htm

    +5V @ 40A
    +12V @ 34A/38A
    -5V @ 0.3A
    -12V @ 2A
    +3.3V @ 30A
    +5VSB @ 3A
    power=510W

    The 850 version is announced here:
    http://pcpowerandcooling.com/about/index_whatnew850.htm

    It has four 12V rails, each limited to 17 amps. I think I would
    rather have one 34 amp rail, than four 17 amp rails where not
    all the power can be profitably used/shared.

    Heres an entertaining thread on power supplies that may be of
    interest to anyone shopping for a supply.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56231

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Motherboards