Installing an Asus L5000D from scratch

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Sorry for asking a notebook related question here but couldn't find an
Asus specific notebook group...

Which drivers are needed when installing an Asus L5000D (Athlon64,
nVidia Crush K8M chipset, Nvidia GeForceFXGo 5650) from scratch
(without using the recovery CD). OS will be XP.

Which Asus specific drivers are needed, eg ATK0100 or the Power4
Gear software?

Thanks in advance for all answers!

Tim

Chris,

You just listed most of the h/w that will need drivers (add NIC, modem, Card
Bus thingy and check the lists), so with this pick list, go to
www.asus.com.tw and then the downloads page and get the latest from there.
See:
http://www.asus.com/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=L5D&Type=Latest .

I always err on the least added software as so many products come with 'eye
candy' applications, but for notebooks some of this software is quite
necessary for correct operation EG check out ATK0100 - have a good look
around the downloads page for the L5000.

If you are starting from scratch, then perhaps start with a bios version
check.

- Tim

"Chris" <asusnb@aon.at> wrote in message
> Sorry for asking a notebook related question here but couldn't find an
> Asus specific notebook group...
>
> Which drivers are needed when installing an Asus L5000D (Athlon64,
> nVidia Crush K8M chipset, Nvidia GeForceFXGo 5650) from scratch
> (without using the recovery CD). OS will be XP.
>
> Which Asus specific drivers are needed, eg ATK0100 or the Power4
> Gear software?
>
> Thanks in advance for all answers!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Thanks for the quick reply.

Since Asus' driver section is kind of outdated, I was wondering
which drivers are really needed.

Do I need something from the AMD site?

Do I need all Nvidia drivers?

What's the ATK0100 anyway?

Still confused...

Tim

Get the manual first! It details just about everything you are asking about.
I just downloaded it and it does not seem to cover any of this... however it
does mention some of the not so obvious devices that will need drivers: EG
the synaptics touch pad, PC Card, etc. but then they are peripheral to the
motherboard... and you may not have these.

Get 1 of everything - most recent from the Asus site and bung in a
directory.
AMD *might* have updated chipset drivers, might not.
nVidia might have more recent drivers, but the stock graphics driver from
Asus is likely good enough to get started.
Chipset drivers (motherboard) - get his from Asus as they know what is on
the motherboard.

ATK0100 - dunno actually :) I have an M6Ne (Pentium M) which has it. I'd
need to fish out the manual but think I recall that it indicated it was
rather important...