Transfer OS to new SATA drive

Can I copy/move my c: from my IDE drive to my new SATA
drive and get it to boot?

If so what is best way?

Thanks

Yes you can. There are a couple of methods to do this. The frist I
would suggest is the software that came with the new SATA drive. You
may need to do a repair operation in order to get it working, but we'll
see if that is even necessary before we go into that. The other method
would be to image the old drive to the new one with a program like
Norton Ghost. This basically takes a picture of your old drive and puts
that picture on the new drive. These programs cost money though, so the
other method would be better ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

cbf wrote:
> Can I copy/move my c: from my IDE drive to my new SATA
> drive and get it to boot?
>
> If so what is best way?
>
> Thanks

bar

As an addendum the the information from Nathan.

Should you find error messages during boot-up after 'cloning' with Norton
Ghost then you will need to perform a repair install of XP. This will not
delete any of your files, email etc.

XP has certain aspects built in as part of the anti-piracy, including boot
sector data. A repair install will correct variations in detail between the
two physical hard drives.

I have used the Maxtor supplied software and Seagate's both have performed
the function of partition / format and clone very well and without the need
for repair installations.