can't delete directories in mounted partition

August 27, 2004 1:54:39 AM

I have two partitions on my disk -> the first (shows up
as C:\) is for the system, the second (shows up as D:\)
for data. Using Disk Management in the Computer
Management tool, I've mounted the D:\ partition at
C:\Documents and Settings (to store all the user data).
Everything is great, BUT for some reason, when accessing
the data through C:\Documents and Settings\blah, the user
can't delete directories. IF however, the user goes in
through D:\, he/she can delete directories. In either
case, the user can delete normal files. Another
interesting note is that if you "Shift-Del", the
directory is deleted with no problems.

It doesn't matter if the directories are empty or not.
Users can create directories, modify directory names,
etc. just not delete.

The error that comes up is "Access Denied".
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:45:26 AM

This is NTFS security. Check the sharing settings and make sure that
all users have full control over both of the drives. That is kind of
funny because it is usually the other way around where you can't delete
data from within the D:\ drive because the C:\ drive won't let you.

----
Nathan McNulty

Richard wrote:
> I have two partitions on my disk -> the first (shows up
> as C:\) is for the system, the second (shows up as D:\)
> for data. Using Disk Management in the Computer
> Management tool, I've mounted the D:\ partition at
> C:\Documents and Settings (to store all the user data).
> Everything is great, BUT for some reason, when accessing
> the data through C:\Documents and Settings\blah, the user
> can't delete directories. IF however, the user goes in
> through D:\, he/she can delete directories. In either
> case, the user can delete normal files. Another
> interesting note is that if you "Shift-Del", the
> directory is deleted with no problems.
>
> It doesn't matter if the directories are empty or not.
> Users can create directories, modify directory names,
> etc. just not delete.
>
> The error that comes up is "Access Denied".
February 9, 2009 1:33:41 AM

It's a problem with the Recycle Bin being stupid and not understanding mounted folders. See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243514

So far as I know, your only option is to shift+delete (bypass recycle bin).
!