Video Card Install problem.

I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.

when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
the screen then goes black.

I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
screwed,

my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.

might anyone be able to help me
6 answers Last reply
More about video card install problem

    You need to disable the onboard video from within the BIOS. When you
    first press the power button on your computer, look for a message saying
    press DEL (or F1 or F2 or something like that) to enter Setup. Press
    that button and it will open up a page with menu options and such. Look
    through (but don't change anything except to disable the onboard video)
    the BIOS pages and see if there is anything to disable the onboard video
    or at least use the AGP/PCI video card instead of onboard.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    blacken wrote:
    > I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
    > my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
    >
    > when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
    > everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
    > picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
    > the screen then goes black.
    >
    > I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
    > log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
    > screwed,
    >
    > my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
    >
    > might anyone be able to help me

    You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
    other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
    an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.

    When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
    correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.

    "blacken" wrote:

    > I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
    > my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
    >
    > when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
    > everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
    > picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
    > the screen then goes black.
    >
    > I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
    > log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
    > screwed,
    >
    > my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
    >
    > might anyone be able to help me

    Does your power supply have enough wattage to handle the new video card?

    Bill Crocker

    "blacken" <blacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
    > my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
    >
    > when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
    > everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play
    > detector
    > picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
    > the screen then goes black.
    >
    > I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
    > log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
    > screwed,
    >
    > my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
    >
    > might anyone be able to help me

    Hu?? I never thought of that . This might be my problem, I supose

    Ill check what kind of power suply I have.
    But since the computer boots correctly im guessing it does

    "Bill Crocker" wrote:

    > Does your power supply have enough wattage to handle the new video card?
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    I actually dont have the instructions for my motherboard come to think of it
    dont even know what motherboard i have.

    ill check my system and then go to any website if i find one thank you.

    "BAR" wrote:

    > You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
    > other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
    > an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.
    >
    > When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
    > correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.

    You can use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out what
    motherboard you have. It will also provide a link to the support page
    for your motherboard and there should be the manual online that you can
    download and check. It is a good idea to disable the onboard video when
    using an actual video card.

    Also, the power supply is a very real possibility as is heat. How hot
    does it get inside your computer? nVidia cards consume a lot of power
    and create a lot of heat. It could be a mixture of these as well ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    blacken wrote:
    > I actually dont have the instructions for my motherboard come to think of it
    > dont even know what motherboard i have.
    >
    > ill check my system and then go to any website if i find one thank you.
    >
    > "BAR" wrote:
    >

    >>You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
    >>other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
    >>an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.
    >>
    >>When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
    >>correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.

Graphics Cards Computers Windows XP