Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video Card Install problem.

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 27, 2004 4:21:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.

when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
the screen then goes black.

I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
screwed,

my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.

might anyone be able to help me
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2004 4:44:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You need to disable the onboard video from within the BIOS. When you
first press the power button on your computer, look for a message saying
press DEL (or F1 or F2 or something like that) to enter Setup. Press
that button and it will open up a page with menu options and such. Look
through (but don't change anything except to disable the onboard video)
the BIOS pages and see if there is anything to disable the onboard video
or at least use the AGP/PCI video card instead of onboard.

----
Nathan McNulty


blacken wrote:
> I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
> my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
>
> when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
> everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
> picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
> the screen then goes black.
>
> I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
> log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
> screwed,
>
> my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
>
> might anyone be able to help me
August 27, 2004 4:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.

When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.

"blacken" wrote:

> I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
> my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
>
> when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
> everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play detector
> picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
> the screen then goes black.
>
> I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
> log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
> screwed,
>
> my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
>
> might anyone be able to help me
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 27, 2004 10:41:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Does your power supply have enough wattage to handle the new video card?

Bill Crocker


"blacken" <blacken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E53649B5-3946-45BD-B905-DBF9DA7BDFC3@microsoft.com...
>I bought a new N-vidia G-force for my computer,
> my problem is my computer shuts off after a while of running.
>
> when i start my computer it picks up the new card and i can log on like
> everything is fine. i log onto my account and then the plug and play
> detector
> picks up the old onboard video card and then my computer rebots.
> the screen then goes black.
>
> I disable the card and turn it off in device manager however every time i
> log on to any account it does the same thing picks up the old card and im
> screwed,
>
> my new card meets all the minumim requirements in order to run.
>
> might anyone be able to help me
August 27, 2004 7:43:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hu?? I never thought of that . This might be my problem, I supose

Ill check what kind of power suply I have.
But since the computer boots correctly im guessing it does

"Bill Crocker" wrote:

> Does your power supply have enough wattage to handle the new video card?
>
> Bill Crocker
>
>
August 27, 2004 7:45:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I actually dont have the instructions for my motherboard come to think of it
dont even know what motherboard i have.

ill check my system and then go to any website if i find one thank you.

"BAR" wrote:

> You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
> other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
> an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.
>
> When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
> correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2004 11:20:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You can use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out what
motherboard you have. It will also provide a link to the support page
for your motherboard and there should be the manual online that you can
download and check. It is a good idea to disable the onboard video when
using an actual video card.

Also, the power supply is a very real possibility as is heat. How hot
does it get inside your computer? nVidia cards consume a lot of power
and create a lot of heat. It could be a mixture of these as well ;) 

----
Nathan McNulty


blacken wrote:
> I actually dont have the instructions for my motherboard come to think of it
> dont even know what motherboard i have.
>
> ill check my system and then go to any website if i find one thank you.
>
> "BAR" wrote:
>
>
>>You should go into BIOS and 'disable' the on-board AGP adapter. Follow any
>>other specific instructions for your motherboard relating to installation of
>>an external [plug-in] adapter if there are any.
>>
>>When you reboot the conflicts should disappear and XP will install the
>>correct drivers for the new n-Vidia card.
>>
!