CPU dead?

G

I recently tried upgrading the memory in my computer. At the same time I removed my cpu (Duron 650) and added Artic Silver under my ArcticCooler. When I put everything back together, my computer doesn't work. No power to anything. I have tried different PS's, the old memory (all the memory, old and new, works fine in another computer). I have had the MB (Gigabyte 7ZM, I know it sucks) replaced, but still nothing. Does this sound like a dead CPU? There is no visible damage to the core, but...

TIA!

Paul

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
when you say no power to anything, do you mean nothing, no power supply fan, mobo lights, case fans anything?

even if the cpu was dead the rest of your stuff should get power to it.

it sounds wacky. i'd check and make sure that it isn't something dumb like a cable not plugged in, or the power switch to the atx power supply is on, something that you've overlooked.

<font color=red>yeah baby, my kung fu's the best...</font color=red>

G

I once had a Power supply that would switch between 110 and 220 volts when bumped. The switch may be stuck in the middle. Otherwise if nothing is working I would check the cables. If cables are good, then just go buy a decent power supply. Good luck in your struggle!

Calm Like a Bomb!

G

Hi Paul
I would like to know if you have solved your problem because I have the same. I removed the cpu from my notebook to write down the ID. no. I placed it back, turned on power and... nothing. The power is on but not even the cooler is running now.

Suppose the CPU is dead. What happens in the startup process?

Rasmus

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, there should at least be power going to the cooler. The CPU has nothing to do with power going to the HSF. I suspect the motherboard is fried. If it's an ATX board and you fry the board- you won't get power to crap.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

G

if you don't get power anywhere then your PSU is not firing , this is cos it thinks nothing is connected too it, firstly I would suggest manually shorting the power jumpers on the MB, if this doesn't work take out and replace all of your cards and the power to all IDE devices,
next try the fuses in the PSU and plug and ensure the voltage is correct on the PSU.
if all of this fails then you may well have a dead MB

Good Luck

M

if at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you ever tried...