Users On Lan Unable to Access My Shares

Yeah at the last few lans ive been to people have been unable to access my shares. They recieve the message "you do not have access priviliges" or something along those lines". I have set it to simple sharing and have no security or firewall stuff running except spyware search & destroy. Please help.

Pentium 4 2.8 @ 3.2 + ASUS P4P800 + 512mb DDR400 Ram at 230mhz + XpertVision 6600GT 560mhz core and 1.11ghz ram = 8500 on 3DMark 2003.
9 answers Last reply
More about users unable access shares
  1. Disable simple filing sharing.

Create a new account, domain users/user access. Probably not Admin rights.

On your shares, add that new user account to them. Give them either Read access, or if they're going to change things on your computer, Modify access.
  2. Simple file sharing is the worst thing ever invented hehe

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
  3. Great for home users.. haha. I just had an employee call me up and was asking why he wasn't able to pull files off his other Hard drive with XP installed on it.. had some stuff he was doing for his wife and had it protected for only his account.. Had to disable simple file sharing to get in..

Probably info on his mistress. /shrug
  4. 1st good Reason to use simple file sharing...if you have a mistress :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
  5. Make sure the guest account is on and is added to your shares share permissions and security tab (when simple file sharing is off). Then you will be guaranteed that everyone can see it and no one will have to enter any sort of login info.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
  6. Im not sure about everyone else buy i like to map drives to shares.. makes it much easier

Just open up my computer and go to tools.. map network drive.

If a person is having security issues, just click the link that says connect usuing a different user name. Make sure you have a user account set up for that share.

Browse around until you find the share you want and hit ok.

This method is much bette if your sharing files all the time, but it is generally very reliable for sharing drives.

If your gonna be doing a lot of file sharing on LANs i would go ahead and set up an account on your machine just for that purpose.

My PC:
    Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
    Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
    WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
    Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition
  7. some people cant afford server..or cant find someone to borrow it from.

My PC:
    Abit AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
    Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256 Mb PCIe
    WD Raptor 37 Gb SATA
    Corsair 2x512 PC3200 DDR Dual-Channel Platnium Edition
  8. I'll trade you 3 magic beans for your 2k3 enterprise..

oh wait, I already have 2 different VLK licenses for it. nevermind. I'll keep my magic beans.
  9. After organizing (or at least being an orgnaizer on) several LAN parties, I've found that it's not a good idea to use Windows file sharing in the first place. Sure, it works fine if everybody knows how to configure it (surprisingly few do) AND all of the users are running Windows. Today however, you often have at least some visitors who are running something else (Linux, MacOs or even Solaris). One could ask everyone to run their own FTP server, but that would just create a great big mess. This is my tip to all party organizers: Use DirectConnect. It only needs a non-dedicated server (or you can even run it in the backround if you're hosting a small gathering), the clients are very easy to configure and your visitors will even have a working chat and a fast search feature, way faster than Windows's ever :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games