Changing boot device SCSI controller

It has become unavoidable to have to change the SCSI RAID
controller on a live 2003 server, so I am quite prepared
for the 'Inaccessible boot device' error message.
As time is of the essence does anyone know of a way to
prepare the existing system ready for the change over?
Is there a registry edit to change the boot device?
Or am I stuck with doing an installation/repair and will
this install the new driver successfully?
Many thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about changing boot device scsi controller

    Hello,

    If you are changing the controller by one exactly the same you shouldn't get
    any errors... but if you are changing the brand of it, sometimes the
    information that is written in the HD about the Raid it varies from
    manufacter to manufacter so probably you will have to reinstall it... this
    of course if you're right now using a 2 raid disks for the system, you have
    an alternative that is to check the bios of the raid controller and see if
    you unmount the raid if it keeps the information on the disks there are
    several controllers that can unmount the raid disk and you'll still keep the
    information if that's the case and if your new controller is from a
    different manufacter and allows you to create the raid and still keep the
    information (this too change from manufacter to manufacter) then you're
    ok... if not you can still use for instance ghost and create a ghost image
    from you unit... change the controller and then recover it... you may need
    to run the the setup and recover/reinstall if your system doesn't recognize
    the new controller automatically in windows.

    "SAB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It has become unavoidable to have to change the SCSI RAID
    > controller on a live 2003 server, so I am quite prepared
    > for the 'Inaccessible boot device' error message.
    > As time is of the essence does anyone know of a way to
    > prepare the existing system ready for the change over?
    > Is there a registry edit to change the boot device?
    > Or am I stuck with doing an installation/repair and will
    > this install the new driver successfully?
    > Many thanks

    Hi

    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it is not possible to
    use the same type of controller looks like I shall have to
    resort to the repair option.

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:18:02 -0700, "SAB"

    >It has become unavoidable to have to change the SCSI RAID
    >controller on a live 2003 server, so I am quite prepared
    >for the 'Inaccessible boot device' error message.
    >As time is of the essence does anyone know of a way to
    >prepare the existing system ready for the change over?
    >Is there a registry edit to change the boot device?
    >Or am I stuck with doing an installation/repair and will
    >this install the new driver successfully?
    >Many thanks

    Alas, I have no answer to this question but I have a similar problem:
    Currently, I'm running XP Pro SP2 on a Western Digital Enterprise U2W
    18GB drive connected to an Iwill 2935UW host adapter. I intend to
    switch to an Adaptec 2940 U2W host adapter. Can I swap the host
    adapters without a reinstall?

Controller Boot Devices Windows XP