SP2: no NIC card entree

August 27, 2004 7:02:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Having just installed Service Pack 2 for my Home XP edition, I couldn't help
notice that there is no longer any entree for the ethernet card in the
Device Manager. Same for the Network Connection section of the Contol
Panel.

The card is a Intel Pro 100 Management Adaptor. At the time it was using
the drivers that from the Win XP CD.

Booting into safe made shows the card, but will not allow me to
remove/uninstall. Attempts to add new hardware or install later drivers
failed also.

Despite all that, I can still connect to the internet.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem and a solution?

More about : sp2 nic card entree

Anonymous
August 27, 2004 9:10:40 AM

No entree? Is there at least a salad or soup? Maybe you
could make a sandwich for it.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 3:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Sounds pretty similar to what I am getting.

The network setup wizard fails to find my network hardware

I can see it on the devi=ce manager if I set to view hidden devices, but if
I try to uninstall these then this fails as the devices are apparently
needed for when the computer reboots!
This happens even if the NIC are physiaclly removed from the computer!

I've notified MS support but had no reply sofar. Adding a new differnt brand
of NIC makes no differnce, as you, it works but not shown in device manager
:-(

"James Coulter" <jdcoulter@telus.net> wrote in message
> Having just installed Service Pack 2 for my Home XP edition, I couldn't
> help notice that there is no longer any entree for the ethernet card in
> the Device Manager. Same for the Network Connection section of the Contol
> Panel.
>
> The card is a Intel Pro 100 Management Adaptor. At the time it was using
> the drivers that from the Win XP CD.
>
> Booting into safe made shows the card, but will not allow me to
> remove/uninstall. Attempts to add new hardware or install later drivers
> failed also.
>
> Despite all that, I can still connect to the internet.
>
> Has anyone else had a similiar problem and a solution?

August 27, 2004 4:00:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

XP "remembers" each instance of a NIC & it's associated
Local Area Connection. This is why you'll sometimes see
Local Area Connect Number X in Network Connections.
The only way to purge/clean them out is via the Registry. It's
somewhat complicated, as you must be careful to delete the
correct sub-keys in \Control\Network tree of Current control
set.

"Pete Bradbury" <pete.s.bradbury@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Sounds pretty similar to what I am getting.
>
> The network setup wizard fails to find my network hardware
>
> I can see it on the devi=ce manager if I set to view hidden devices, but
> if I try to uninstall these then this fails as the devices are apparently
> needed for when the computer reboots!
> This happens even if the NIC are physiaclly removed from the computer!
>
> I've notified MS support but had no reply sofar. Adding a new differnt
> brand of NIC makes no differnce, as you, it works but not shown in device
> manager :-(
>

> "James Coulter" <jdcoulter@telus.net> wrote in message
>> Having just installed Service Pack 2 for my Home XP edition, I couldn't
>> help notice that there is no longer any entree for the ethernet card in
>> the Device Manager. Same for the Network Connection section of the
>> Contol Panel.
>>
>> The card is a Intel Pro 100 Management Adaptor. At the time it was using
>> the drivers that from the Win XP CD.
>>
>> Booting into safe made shows the card, but will not allow me to
>> remove/uninstall. Attempts to add new hardware or install later drivers
>> failed also.
>>
>> Despite all that, I can still connect to the internet.
>>
>> Has anyone else had a similiar problem and a solution?

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 10:52:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm suffering the same problem... I also noticed that not only the NIC Card
is not showing... other drives also (example AC97 Audio Onboard Sound Card,
and when i try to reinstall the drivers it doesnt find the chipset of the
sound card!)...This is ridiculous!!

!