Asus A8V Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2005 2:33:35 AM

Hello,

Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?

TY

Richard

More about : asus a8v deluxe

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2005 10:28:13 AM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 22:33:35 -0700, "Richard K Rabbat" <richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?

No
May 7, 2005 9:30:26 PM

In article <Z-idnW1QUMmzzuHfRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, "Richard K Rabbat"
<richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?
>
> TY
>
> Richard

First, download this document:

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/ftool_user_guide_...

On page 22, you can see that Hitachi requires the user to
switch the drive from 1.5Gb/sec to 3.0Gb/sec. The warning
with the tool says:

"WARNING! SWITCHING YOUR DRIVE TO SUPPORT 3.0Gb/s OR ENABLING
SPREAD SPECTRUM CLOCKING ON YOUR DRIVE AND THEN USING IT IN A
SYSTEM THAT CANNOT SUPPORT THESE FUNCTIONS, MAY RENDER YOUR
DRIVE UNUSABLE IN THAT SYSTEM."

(You repair it by moving the drive to a 3.0Gb/s capable system
and using the Feature Tool to switch it back to 1.5Gb/s.)

What that tells me, is for a consumer level drive, the disk
drive will ship set to 1.5Gb/sec operation. It will
take a Feature Tool from the manufacturer, to turn on the
feature.

I think some of the Nvidia chipsets can operate at 3.0Gb/sec.
Download the Asus user manual for one of those boards and
see if "3Gb/sec drives" is listed as a feature. I don't think
Via chipsets have that yet (as long as VT8237 is the
Southbridge on the Via chipset, the disks will run at
1.5Gb/sec).

HTH,
Paul
!