Asus A8V Deluxe

Hello,

Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?

TY

Richard
2 answers Last reply
More about asus deluxe

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 22:33:35 -0700, "Richard K Rabbat" <richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?

    No

    In article <Z-idnW1QUMmzzuHfRVn-gQ@comcast.com>, "Richard K Rabbat"
    <richardkr@comcast.net> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Will the Asus A8V Deluxe support SATA II?
    >
    > TY
    >
    > Richard

    First, download this document:

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/ftool_user_guide_197.pdf

    On page 22, you can see that Hitachi requires the user to
    switch the drive from 1.5Gb/sec to 3.0Gb/sec. The warning
    with the tool says:

    "WARNING! SWITCHING YOUR DRIVE TO SUPPORT 3.0Gb/s OR ENABLING
    SPREAD SPECTRUM CLOCKING ON YOUR DRIVE AND THEN USING IT IN A
    SYSTEM THAT CANNOT SUPPORT THESE FUNCTIONS, MAY RENDER YOUR
    DRIVE UNUSABLE IN THAT SYSTEM."

    (You repair it by moving the drive to a 3.0Gb/s capable system
    and using the Feature Tool to switch it back to 1.5Gb/s.)

    What that tells me, is for a consumer level drive, the disk
    drive will ship set to 1.5Gb/sec operation. It will
    take a Feature Tool from the manufacturer, to turn on the
    feature.

    I think some of the Nvidia chipsets can operate at 3.0Gb/sec.
    Download the Asus user manual for one of those boards and
    see if "3Gb/sec drives" is listed as a feature. I don't think
    Via chipsets have that yet (as long as VT8237 is the
    Southbridge on the Via chipset, the disks will run at
    1.5Gb/sec).

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus SATA Support Motherboards