BSOD when CPU > 58 degrees celcius

Hi there,

Help! I'm sure the Athlon XP 2800+ should withstand higher temperatures than
this, but recently I've been getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD message
when the temperature of my CPU gets to about 59 degrees celsius on my ASUS
A7V8X-X. Asus probe's temperature threshold defaults to 72 degrees celsius,
much higher than 59.

My temporary remedy has been to leave the side cover of my case off, but
surely something else can be done?!

With the cover off the CPU is about 10 degrees cooler. Is my CPU dying?

I don't overclock and my fan runs at 2109 (I assume rpm).

Thanks for any tips,

Adam.

Adam Del-Monte wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Help! I'm sure the Athlon XP 2800+ should withstand higher temperatures than
> this, but recently I've been getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD message
> when the temperature of my CPU gets to about 59 degrees celsius on my ASUS
> A7V8X-X. Asus probe's temperature threshold defaults to 72 degrees celsius,
> much higher than 59.
>
> My temporary remedy has been to leave the side cover of my case off, but
> surely something else can be done?!
>
> With the cover off the CPU is about 10 degrees cooler. Is my CPU dying?

I doubt it.

Is Probe detecting the CPU Diode temp or the socket Temp? The socket temp can be easily 15°C cooler than the CPU Diode. If your PU is 10°C cooler with the cover off, you should
seriously address your case cooling, it is inadequate.

> I don't overclock and my fan runs at 2109 (I assume rpm).

Thats not especially speedy, but depending on the fan and the heatsink, it should be ok for an XP2800. If you have some thermal paste then you should try reseating the heatsink.

Can you describe your case cooling?

Ben

"Ben Pope" <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Adam Del-Monte wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Help! I'm sure the Athlon XP 2800+ should withstand higher temperatures
>> than this, but recently I've been getting an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD
>> message when the temperature of my CPU gets to about 59 degrees celsius
>> on my ASUS A7V8X-X. Asus probe's temperature threshold defaults to 72
>> degrees celsius, much higher than 59.
>>
>> My temporary remedy has been to leave the side cover of my case off, but
>> surely something else can be done?!
>>
>> With the cover off the CPU is about 10 degrees cooler. Is my CPU dying?
>
> I doubt it.
>
> Is Probe detecting the CPU Diode temp or the socket Temp? The socket temp
> can be easily 15°C cooler than the CPU Diode. If your PU is 10°C cooler
> with the cover off, you should seriously address your case cooling, it is
> inadequate.
>
>> I don't overclock and my fan runs at 2109 (I assume rpm).
>
> Thats not especially speedy, but depending on the fan and the heatsink, it
> should be ok for an XP2800. If you have some thermal paste then you
> should try reseating the heatsink.
>
> Can you describe your case cooling?
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure which CPU temperature asus probe is
reporting - there is only one available in the GUI. When I first installed
the heatsink it already had its own thin square of paste. Do you still
recommend I put some more paste on?

The heat sink and fan is an "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2"
(http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=15). Please excuse my naivety,
I'm surprised I may need to add a case fan (I only have a CPU fan
currently), I don't do anything special, my PC is just a normal PC (dell
PC's for example don't have a case fan).

Thanks,

Adam.

ps - I've had the PC since last August and its only now that I'm getting
this problem

Adam Del-Monte wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for replying. I'm not sure which CPU temperature asus probe is
> reporting - there is only one available in the GUI. When I first installed
> the heatsink it already had its own thin square of paste. Do you still
> recommend I put some more paste on?

I wouldn't say "more", I'd say "replace". But thats only if you have some thermal paste lying around, or you suspect your current install to be dodgy.

Make you sure you stop probe, and then install MBM5:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Set the sensors according to here:
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asus.html

That way you can be sure what's what. On my A7N8X, Probe only detected the socket temp.

> The heat sink and fan is an "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2"
> (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=15). Please excuse my naivety,
> I'm surprised I may need to add a case fan (I only have a CPU fan
> currently), I don't do anything special, my PC is just a normal PC (dell
> PC's for example don't have a case fan).

It's possible that the fan in the PSU can do the job of keeping the case cool enough. However, a temperature rise of 10°C with the side on implies that the ventilation in your
case is inadequate. You should be able to bring the temperature down, with the side on, do to wind chill, although there's not usually THAT much flow in the case :p.

I'll refrain from commenting on Dell machines.

Ben

Venom

I believe if you get your cpu cooling fan up to or over 3,200 rpm your cpu
will run as it should.
2.000 rpm is not the correct speed for those cooler fans.

"Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
>I believe if you get your cpu cooling fan up to or over 3,200 rpm your cpu
> will run as it should.
> 2.000 rpm is not the correct speed for those cooler fans.

Any ideas on how I set this? There is no option in the BIOS (apart from the
Q speed control thingy, which when was on my CPU still got too hot).

Thanks,

Adam.

Your case and CPU need more cooling! That's too high a temp for continuous
use.

--
DaveW

Adam Del-Monte wrote:
> "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
>
>>I believe if you get your cpu cooling fan up to or over 3,200 rpm your cpu
>>will run as it should.
>>2.000 rpm is not the correct speed for those cooler fans.
>

> Any ideas on how I set this? There is no option in the BIOS (apart from the
> Q speed control thingy, which when was on my CPU still got too hot).

A blanket statement saying that 2000RPM is not the correct speed for your fan, is clearly wrong:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=15&data=2

One of the best heatsinks I know of is the XP-120, which has a thermal resistance of around 0.25°/W when paired with a fairly quiet fan (~32CFM, <30dB) which is around half of the
quoted thermal resistance figure of your cooler (which means it's temperature will rise by half of what yours does). It is big, though.

Ben

Venom

Sorry Ben. I never realised the poster had told you he was running an after
market cooler and fan. In my ignorance I thought he was running a stock
cooler and fan.

> Sorry Ben. I never realised the poster had told you he was running an
> after
> market cooler and fan. In my ignorance I thought he was running a stock
> cooler and fan.

Wow, I've certainly got things to learn - what's an "after market" cooler?
As opposed to a "stock cooler". fyi I bought this exact heat sink and fan:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58512

Cheers,

Adam.

> Adam Del-Monte wrote:
>> Hi Ben,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. I'm not sure which CPU temperature asus probe is
>> reporting - there is only one available in the GUI. When I first
>> installed the heatsink it already had its own thin square of paste. Do
>> you still recommend I put some more paste on?
>
> I wouldn't say "more", I'd say "replace". But thats only if you have some
> thermal paste lying around, or you suspect your current install to be
> dodgy.
>
> Make you sure you stop probe, and then install MBM5:
>
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
>
> Set the sensors according to here:
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asus.html
>
> That way you can be sure what's what. On my A7N8X, Probe only detected
> the socket temp.
>
>> The heat sink and fan is an "Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2"
>> (http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=15). Please excuse my
>> naivety, I'm surprised I may need to add a case fan (I only have a CPU
>> fan currently), I don't do anything special, my PC is just a normal PC
>> (dell PC's for example don't have a case fan).
>
> It's possible that the fan in the PSU can do the job of keeping the case
> cool enough. However, a temperature rise of 10°C with the side on implies
> that the ventilation in your case is inadequate. You should be able to
> bring the temperature down, with the side on, do to wind chill, although
> there's not usually THAT much flow in the case :p.
>
> I'll refrain from commenting on Dell machines.
>
> Ben

Ok, I've installed MBM5, I can't understand what reading means what, but
here is the low down with the cover off:

Asus1 = 39
Asus2 = 23
Asus2 (cusl2) = 41
Asus3 = -1
Asus4 = 25
w83l785ts-s = 51
w83l785ts-s diode = 51

Does that mean anything to you? Does that help to ascertain the source of
the problem?

Many thanks,

Mark.

> "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry Ben. I never realised the poster had told you he was running an
> > after
> > market cooler and fan. In my ignorance I thought he was running a stock
> > cooler and fan.
>
> Wow, I've certainly got things to learn - what's an "after market" cooler?
> As opposed to a "stock cooler". fyi I bought this exact heat sink and fan:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58512

That's an aftermarket cooler. If you bought it by itself, it's aftermarket
(or 3rd party). If it came with the *CPU* (you bought the CPU separately, or
got an unassembled system), it's stock. If it came with the *system*, it
could be either, depending on the system's origins.

--

Alan "A.J." Franzman

Email: a.j.franzman [ A T ] verizon [ D O T ] net