p5ad2e premium and problem raid4 sil 3114

i have xp sp2

1 disk for system "c:"

3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"

I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
SILSAM00014C.EXE

PROBLEM:

1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)

2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting

if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
managment utility working and system not crash

if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
screen.

as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
ecc)
7 answers Last reply
More about p5ad2e premium problem raid4 3114

    In article <hpuvh1hruqnml7gq05pg3vd5satlslbc9j@4ax.com>,
    supermazzinga@yahoo.it wrote:

    > i have xp sp2
    >
    > 1 disk for system "c:"
    >
    > 3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"
    >
    > I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
    > SILSAM00014C.EXE
    >
    > PROBLEM:
    >
    > 1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)
    >
    > 2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
    > send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting
    >
    > if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
    > managment utility working and system not crash
    >
    > if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
    > screen.
    >
    > as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
    > ecc)

    I don't see any hardware XOR (exclusive OR) function in
    the silicon. This is a dumb controller:

    http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3114_PB_090103.pdf

    Perhaps you could try WinXP built-in RAID5. Tomshardware
    has a recipe for it:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/raid5-01.html

    This will probably not go any faster, but the RAID Management
    might be bug-free. You should be able to place the drives
    on any available hardware controller that supports single
    disks.

    The problem with buying real hardware RAID5 controller cards,
    is the cards are likely PCI-X and may not fit in your PCI
    card slot. If you could find one of these cards, or ones
    similar to these, you would be limited by the PCI bus
    bandwidth. Real RAID5 costs money. (2cpu.com and
    forums.storagereview.net are good private forums
    with information on setting up RAID arrays.)

    http://www.2cpu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57853

    1820A fits in a PCI slot, and you might get 100MB/sec via
    a 32 bit PCI slot if you are lucky. ($220 USD). When the
    controller chip on a card has a heatsink installed, chances
    are it has hardware XOR for RAID5 built-in, so your processor
    doesn't have to do the calculation.

    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/sataraid.htm
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/manuals/RR1820A%20V1.2_UM.pdf

    Have fun,
    Paul

    I am understood the limits of the controller integrated in p5ad2-e

    but I do not understand the reason for which "raid utility java for
    monitoring harddisk" crash con driver raid5 and work with driver raid
    0/1

    other motherboard not asus with 3114 raid5 supply software for control
    end monitoring of harddisk.........

    I have used the program of the motherboard INTEL and work with the
    driver raid5 asus.....but this program more is limited of raid utility
    java 1.0.14 or 1.0.19

    In article <nap081d4a55avlv2cq7ctjb4t8dru3dcg0@4ax.com>,
    supermazzinga@yahoo.it wrote:

    > I am understood the limits of the controller integrated in p5ad2-e
    >
    > but I do not understand the reason for which "raid utility java for
    > monitoring harddisk" crash con driver raid5 and work with driver raid
    > 0/1
    >
    > other motherboard not asus with 3114 raid5 supply software for control
    > end monitoring of harddisk.........
    >
    > I have used the program of the motherboard INTEL and work with the
    > driver raid5 asus.....but this program more is limited of raid utility
    > java 1.0.14 or 1.0.19

    Have you tried the "Sataraid tools" download from the Silicon Image
    web page ? Uninstall the current version first, then try this one.

    http://www.siliconimage.com/products/product.aspx?id=28 -->

    http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3114-Sata%20RAID%20Management%20Utility.zip

    Paul

    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:36:06 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > >In article <hpuvh1hruqnml7gq05pg3vd5satlslbc9j@4ax.com>,
    > >supermazzinga@yahoo.it wrote:
    > >
    > >> i have xp sp2
    > >>
    > >> 1 disk for system "c:"
    > >>
    > >> 3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"
    > >>
    > >> I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
    > >> SILSAM00014C.EXE
    > >>
    > >> PROBLEM:
    > >>
    > >> 1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)
    > >>
    > >> 2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
    > >> send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting
    > >>
    > >> if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
    > >> managment utility working and system not crash
    > >>
    > >> if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
    > >> screen.
    > >>
    > >> as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
    > >> ecc)
    > >>

    > >I don't see any hardware XOR (exclusive OR) function in
    > >the silicon. This is a dumb controller:
    > >
    > >http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3114_PB_090103.pdf
    > >
    > >Perhaps you could try WinXP built-in RAID5. Tomshardware
    > >has a recipe for it:
    > >
    > >http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20041119/raid5-01.html
    > >
    > >This will probably not go any faster, but the RAID Management
    > >might be bug-free. You should be able to place the drives
    > >on any available hardware controller that supports single
    > >disks.
    > >
    > >The problem with buying real hardware RAID5 controller cards,
    > >is the cards are likely PCI-X and may not fit in your PCI
    > >card slot. If you could find one of these cards, or ones
    > >similar to these, you would be limited by the PCI bus
    > >bandwidth. Real RAID5 costs money. (2cpu.com and
    > >forums.storagereview.net are good private forums
    > >with information on setting up RAID arrays.)
    > >
    > >http://www.2cpu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57853
    > >
    > >1820A fits in a PCI slot, and you might get 100MB/sec via
    > >a 32 bit PCI slot if you are lucky. ($220 USD). When the
    > >controller chip on a card has a heatsink installed, chances
    > >are it has hardware XOR for RAID5 built-in, so your processor
    > >doesn't have to do the calculation.
    > >
    > >http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/sataraid.htm
    > >http://www.highpoint-tech.com/manuals/RR1820A%20V1.2_UM.pdf
    > >
    > >Have fun,
    > > Paul

    this is versione 1.0.13

    i have test 1.0.13 - 1.0.14 - 1.0.19

    the problems is equal....system crash when start utility whit driver
    raid5

    system not crash when start utility whit driver raid 0/1

    :o(

    i'm test in other system and other mb asus and problem persist

    supermazzinga <supermazzinga@yahoo.it> writes:
    > 1 disk for system "c:"
    > 3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"
    >
    > I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
    > SILSAM00014C.EXE
    >
    > PROBLEM:
    > 1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)
    >
    > 2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
    > send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting
    >
    > if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
    > managment utility working and system not crash
    >
    > if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
    > screen.
    >
    > as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
    > ecc)

    wouldn't boot. Writes are slower than reads for raid5, anyway, so I
    just punted and configured raid10 with my four drives. I get raid0
    performance with raid1 protection. Worked for me!

    Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    i use 3 disk of 300gb

    3x300 to raid5= 600gb online

    if use raid1 o also raidx i not 600gb and not security for date

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:59:49 -0700, Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>
    wrote:

    >supermazzinga <supermazzinga@yahoo.it> writes:
    >> 1 disk for system "c:"
    >> 3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"
    >>
    >> I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
    >> SILSAM00014C.EXE
    >>
    >> PROBLEM:
    >> 1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)
    >>
    >> 2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
    >> send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting
    >>
    >> if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
    >> managment utility working and system not crash
    >>
    >> if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
    >> ecc)

    >wouldn't boot. Writes are slower than reads for raid5, anyway, so I
    >just punted and configured raid10 with my four drives. I get raid0
    >performance with raid1 protection. Worked for me!

    if buy 4th disk for raid1 o raid10 cost= 200euro

    promise controller raid5 = 200e

    wrote:

    >supermazzinga <supermazzinga@yahoo.it> writes:
    >> 1 disk for system "c:"
    >> 3 disk for raid5 (sil3114) " x:"
    >>
    >> I have used for raid5: latest driver asus and software for create raid5
    >> SILSAM00014C.EXE
    >>
    >> PROBLEM:
    >> 1) when copy files disk x: (raid5) il very slow (6000kb/sec)
    >>
    >> 2) if install raid managment utility java for monitoring disk, smart,
    >> send email ecc ecc= system crash when software starting
    >>
    >> if removo driver raid5 and install satalink drivers for raid0 and raid1=
    >> managment utility working and system not crash
    >>
    >> if installa raid5 drivers end lounch managment utility system blue
    >> screen.
    >>
    >> as I make to use drivers raid5 and monitoring disk? (smart, send email,
    >> ecc)

    >wouldn't boot. Writes are slower than reads for raid5, anyway, so I
    >just punted and configured raid10 with my four drives. I get raid0
    >performance with raid1 protection. Worked for me!

Asus Managment Motherboards