Can't Connect to Router

Hi,

I have a new PC with WinXP SP2 and a netgear wireless card which I can't
get to connect to my existing wireless network.

My existing network has one other PC and two Netgear MP3 players attached
and is working fine.

The new PC had a generic card but when this didn't work I replaced it with a
netgear one.

I can detect my network but cannot connect to it either with XP or with the
netgear configuration software.

Things I have tried:-
Replacing the Network Card
The computer is in the same room as the router and signal strength is 90 +
The network is set up without encryption and I have turned of MAC address
checking
I have disabled the XP firewall
Dowloaded latest drivers and utility from Netgear

None of these things have made any difference.

Can anybody offer any other suggestions or point to some software that
could help diagnose the problem ? JUst getting a can't connect message is not
a lot of help

Thanks,
Stephen
4 answers Last reply
More about connect router

    If you can detect your router on the new pc then the only thing that will
    stop you from conecting is a firewall, which you say you disabled, or
    WEP/WAP encryption. Do you have encryption set on your router and forgot to
    set it on the new pc?

    Robert...

    "Stephen Brown" <StephenBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a new PC with WinXP SP2 and a netgear wireless card which I can't
    > get to connect to my existing wireless network.
    >
    > My existing network has one other PC and two Netgear MP3 players attached
    > and is working fine.
    >
    > The new PC had a generic card but when this didn't work I replaced it with
    > netgear one.
    >
    > I can detect my network but cannot connect to it either with XP or with
    > the
    > netgear configuration software.
    >
    > Things I have tried:-
    > Replacing the Network Card
    > The computer is in the same room as the router and signal strength is 90
    > +
    > The network is set up without encryption and I have turned of MAC
    > address
    > checking
    > I have disabled the XP firewall
    > Dowloaded latest drivers and utility from Netgear
    >
    > None of these things have made any difference.
    >
    > Can anybody offer any other suggestions or point to some software that
    > could help diagnose the problem ? JUst getting a can't connect message is
    > not
    > a lot of help
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Stephen

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > If you can detect your router on the new pc then the only thing that will
    > stop you from conecting is a firewall, which you say you disabled, or
    > WEP/WAP encryption. Do you have encryption set on your router and forgot
    > set it on the new pc?
    >
    > Robert...
    >
    > "Stephen Brown" <StephenBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a new PC with WinXP SP2 and a netgear wireless card which I can't
    > > get to connect to my existing wireless network.
    > >
    > > My existing network has one other PC and two Netgear MP3 players
    attached
    > > and is working fine.
    > >
    > > The new PC had a generic card but when this didn't work I replaced it
    with
    > > netgear one.
    > >
    > > I can detect my network but cannot connect to it either with XP or with
    > > the
    > > netgear configuration software.
    > >
    > > Things I have tried:-
    > > Replacing the Network Card
    > > The computer is in the same room as the router and signal strength is
    90
    > > +
    > > The network is set up without encryption and I have turned of MAC
    > > address
    > > checking
    > > I have disabled the XP firewall
    > > Dowloaded latest drivers and utility from Netgear
    > >
    > > None of these things have made any difference.
    > >
    > > Can anybody offer any other suggestions or point to some software that
    > > could help diagnose the problem ? JUst getting a can't connect message
    is
    > > not
    > > a lot of help
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Stephen

    Robert,

    Thanks for the reply but no, I don't have encryption set on either the
    router or the new pc.

    Stephen

    "Robert Jacobs" wrote:

    > If you can detect your router on the new pc then the only thing that will
    > stop you from conecting is a firewall, which you say you disabled, or
    > WEP/WAP encryption. Do you have encryption set on your router and forgot to
    > set it on the new pc?
    >
    > Robert...
    >
    > "Stephen Brown" <StephenBrown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a new PC with WinXP SP2 and a netgear wireless card which I can't
    > > get to connect to my existing wireless network.
    > >
    > > My existing network has one other PC and two Netgear MP3 players attached
    > > and is working fine.
    > >
    > > The new PC had a generic card but when this didn't work I replaced it with
    > > netgear one.
    > >
    > > I can detect my network but cannot connect to it either with XP or with
    > > the
    > > netgear configuration software.
    > >
    > > Things I have tried:-
    > > Replacing the Network Card
    > > The computer is in the same room as the router and signal strength is 90
    > > +
    > > The network is set up without encryption and I have turned of MAC
    > > address
    > > checking
    > > I have disabled the XP firewall
    > > Dowloaded latest drivers and utility from Netgear
    > >
    > > None of these things have made any difference.
    > >
    > > Can anybody offer any other suggestions or point to some software that
    > > could help diagnose the problem ? JUst getting a can't connect message is
    > > not
    > > a lot of help
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Stephen

    Jack,

    Thanks for your reply, but I'm still stuck.

    I'd already tried moving the PC, disabling the XP2 firewall, removing all
    encrytion and mac address checking on the router, downloading latest software
    from netgear

    But I still can't connect.

Connection Netgear Wireless Networking