PC Probe

Hi,

I am having a big problem with installing ASUS PC Probe software. Every time
I try to install it the instalation simply hungs at the step "ASUS Probe
installation is inspecting your system configuration". I reinstalled Windows
and it did not help. My motherboard is A8N SLI Deluxe and I have Windows XP
Pro SP2.

Thanks in advance!
11 answers Last reply
More about probe

    Did you get the 64 bit version by mistake?
    Ken'

    På Mon, 9 May 2005 20:30:07 +0200, skrev marko <mark111@net.hr>:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am having a big problem with installing ASUS PC Probe software. Every
    > time
    > I try to install it the instalation simply hungs at the step "ASUS Probe
    > installation is inspecting your system configuration". I reinstalled
    > Windows
    > and it did not help. My motherboard is A8N SLI Deluxe and I have
    > Windows XP
    > Pro SP2.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    DONT EVER INSTALL IT!
    That program should never been issued at all....
    Its worce than virus, and will leave you with a Bios checksum error for
    sure..

    You have several other options for flashing bios.

    regards
    Ottar T

    --
    Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
    http://www.opera.com/m2/

    Didn't know probe was for flashing bios???, just reads the cpu temp,
    fan speeds ,etc on my machine & works fine...

    På 11 May 2005 14:35:07 -0700, skrev wally <wallynospam@hotmail.com>:

    > Didn't know probe was for flashing bios???, just reads the cpu temp,
    > fan speeds ,etc on my machine & works fine...

    sorry I meant Liveupdate...

    Everest from http://www.lavalys.com/ can do most of the things you need...

    regards
    Ottar t
    --

    "wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> writes:
    > Didn't know probe was for flashing bios???, just reads the cpu temp,
    > fan speeds ,etc on my machine & works fine...

    PC Probe works for me, too. Just doesn't display the 2nd case fan and
    no way to configure it to...

    Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:05:09 -0700, Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>
    wrote:

    >"wally" <wallynospam@hotmail.com> writes:
    >> Didn't know probe was for flashing bios???, just reads the cpu temp,
    >> fan speeds ,etc on my machine & works fine...
    >
    >PC Probe works for me, too. Just doesn't display the 2nd case fan and
    >no way to configure it to...

    AFAIK Probe can only reads 3 fans, most Asus boards only have 3
    monitored fan headers on them, CPU, Chassis & Power.

    Ed
    --
    PCpTray: Add-on for Asus PC Probe
    http://tinyurl.com/6bhxe

    One would think that in the near future Asus will change that to 2 or even 3
    case fans being monitored as most case have at least that many now.
    Ken'

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 16:54:22 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >>On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:05:09 -0700, Ronald Cole <ronald@forte-intl.com>
    >>wrote:

    >>>PC Probe works for me, too. Just doesn't display the 2nd case fan and
    >>>no way to configure it to...
    >>
    >>AFAIK Probe can only reads 3 fans, most Asus boards only have 3
    >>monitored fan headers on them, CPU, Chassis & Power.
    My A7V400-MX only seems to have the chassis and CPU sensors connected
    (Antec case & psu).

    PC Probe always shows the power fan at 0, even though the fan in the psu
    is running.

    "Brad Clarke" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > My A7V400-MX only seems to have the chassis and CPU sensors connected
    > (Antec case & psu).
    >
    > PC Probe always shows the power fan at 0, even though the fan in the psu
    > is running.

    Your PSU would have to have a fan monitor cable (not all do), and you would
    have to plug it into the correct MB connector for the PC Probe to see the
    RPMs.

    It's not magic.

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:51:50 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >>"Brad Clarke" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>> My A7V400-MX only seems to have the chassis and CPU sensors connected
    >>> (Antec case & psu).
    >>>
    >>> PC Probe always shows the power fan at 0, even though the fan in the psu
    >>> is running.
    >>
    >>Your PSU would have to have a fan monitor cable (not all do), and you would
    >>have to plug it into the correct MB connector for the PC Probe to see the
    >>RPMs.
    >>
    >>It's not magic.
    But it could be :)

    The specs on my board indicates it only has monitoring capabilities for
    the CPU fan and one chassis fan.

    In article <0m5d91pnmgv2oq9mnj8osrmi6g2l6c13kr@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:51:50 -0600, "Mark A" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    > >>"Brad Clarke" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > >>Your PSU would have to have a fan monitor cable (not all do), and you would
    > >>have to plug it into the correct MB connector for the PC Probe to see the
    > >>RPMs.
    > >>
    > >>It's not magic.
    > But it could be :)
    >
    > The specs on my board indicates it only has monitoring capabilities for
    > the CPU fan and one chassis fan.

    The number of fans monitored is determined by the monitor chip.
    There are chips that have two fan monitors and chips that have
    three fan monitors.

    When a motherboard has three fan headers, and a chip with two
    fan monitors, one of the headers simply doesn't use the tachometer
    signal that comes from the fan. I would presume the unimplemented
    channel would read zero in Asus Probe.

    Some of the monitor chips, also have Q-fan type support for all
    channels. But, Asus only puts one power transistor on the motherboard,
    for control of the CPU fan header. Some of the newer motherboards
    have Qfan2, which allows the CPU fan header and a second fan header
    to be controlled by the monitor chip. A program like speedfan cannot
    know how many channels have power transistors - while speedfan
    can attempt to adjust a channel in the monitor chip, if there is
    no driver transistor on the board, then nothing will happen (i.e.
    fan continues to run full speed).

    To see what a typical chip looks like, try this doc.

    http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/PCIC/627hf.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Configuration Motherboards