ADI1985 onboard sound - no microphone with updated drivers..

Am I the only person here with a P4P800 S-E Deluxe who can't get the
microphone working with anything other than the original SoundMax
ADI1985 drivers (as supplied on the CD and on the Asus site)?

With the original drivers, the mic works fine, but whenever you update
the drivers, the mic stops working while the speaker out continues to
work fine.

Has anyone got a fix for this, other than to stop being an update whore?
It's getting on my nerves.

TIA,

Anton
3 answers Last reply
More about adi1985 onboard sound microphone updated drivers

    In article <427fdb09$0$93741$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>,
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Anton_G=FFsen?=
    <anton@REMOVETHECAPITALLETTERSgijsen.ndo.co.uk> wrote:

    > Am I the only person here with a P4P800 S-E Deluxe who can't get the
    > microphone working with anything other than the original SoundMax
    > ADI1985 drivers (as supplied on the CD and on the Asus site)?
    >
    > With the original drivers, the mic works fine, but whenever you update
    > the drivers, the mic stops working while the speaker out continues to
    > work fine.
    >
    > Has anyone got a fix for this, other than to stop being an update whore?
    > It's getting on my nerves.
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Anton

    Well, I've been looking at a couple of drivers while testing
    audio on my P4C800-E and AD1985. Have a careful look at some of
    the .ini files.

    For example, looking in the unzipped files for smwdmCH5.inf:

    %*WDM_AC97AUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_JS_JE, pci\ven_8086&dev_24D5&subsys_80F31043

    The 8086 is Intel's number, 24D5 is AC97 in the Intel Southbridge.
    The SUBSYS on the end consists of two parts. The 1043 is Asus's
    number, and I'm guessing that the 80F3 part is the motherboard
    identifier.

    A good .ini file would be using an accurate product identifier string,
    but that is not the case here. And, that is why I cannot help you
    with this file, as you're going to have to trace down what the
    PCI/Vendor/subsystem numbers are for your particular board.

    Another file to look for is platform.cfg . It has some info on
    the "wiring" of the motherboard. A board entry looks like:

    [80F31043]
    DoJS=D
    JSense=1
    JShare=1
    RawJ0=1
    RawJ2=1
    RawJ3=1
    JackSense=50
    JackSense2=2F0
    JackSenseConf=FFF520F1
    JackShareConf=FFFF57FF
    JackPannel=FFF1FFFF

    I think the JackShareConf identifies which inputs and outputs
    are connected to the same jack.

    Now, imagine if this "wiring" information, or the subsys was not
    properly related. Say this info is correct in the original driver
    package, but got botched in later versions. It could be a few
    simple edits in either the .ini or that .cfg, would be enough to
    fix it.

    It is good that one driver works for you and another does not.
    Simply because that rules out so many other thing...
    By playing the "delta game" between driver versions, and
    using Everest (lavalys.com free download home edition) to
    get vendor/device/subsystem info, perhaps you will be able to
    figure out what has changed between driver versions.

    Also, as an "update whore" you should be using the 5150 driver
    from the P5P800 download page. That one is the latest driver in
    reasonable shape, as Asus doesn't seem to be copying links to
    later drivers, into the older motherboard download pages, like
    for my P4C800-E Deluxe. There are later ones than that, but the
    reviews on those aren't all positive. The 5150 reduced the
    "muddy" sound output a bit from the 36xx I was using.

    Good luck,
    Paul

    Paul wrote:

    > Well, I've been looking at a couple of drivers while testing
    > audio on my P4C800-E and AD1985. Have a careful look at some of
    > the .ini files.

    <I'd better snip the rest of this>

    Thanks for that info, Paul, I should have thought about looking at the
    ..ini files. I'll do that sometime when I have nothing to do.

    Cheers!!!

    Anton
  3. This is an old thread, but if anyone is still searching for a solution, try

    http://forms.analog.com/Form_Pages/soundMax/soundMaxSupportFAQ.html

    If you are using 5.1 speakers go to Preferences on the SoundMax control panel and disable AudioESP. That should solve the no microphone detected problem.

Asus Drivers Microphone Motherboards