A8V Deluxe LOM Network Problem

PB

Hello all.

I have the subject motherboard and am getting very poor LAN performance
using the on-board Marvell LAN controller. More specifically, the
computer shares a directory and when I attempt to copy files from the
A8V, the network utilization bar LED's on my 3Com 100 MB hub spike and
vanish as the transfer occurs. A 100 MB file may take 8 minutes.
Adding a separate 3Com 3C905 will copy the same file in a more
reasonable 10 seconds, and the hub meter stays peaked without the
spiking I described.

System has
1 GB memory
3000+ Winchester core not overclocked

I have:

Performed a repair operation on the Marvell NIC
Rebooted and even cleared the CMOS
Powered off the PC for a hour
Manually changed the speed to 100 MB Full from the default Autosense
Changed cables to the hub

Does anyone have any additional tips that might help in diagnosing and
correcting this problem? If the on-board LOM has failed, then how are
the ASUS folks at warranty repair and return?

Thanks in advance,

PB

Paul

Splendid

In article <wb4ge.69338$NU4.19837@attbi_s22>, PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have the subject motherboard and am getting very poor LAN performance
> using the on-board Marvell LAN controller. More specifically, the
> computer shares a directory and when I attempt to copy files from the
> A8V, the network utilization bar LED's on my 3Com 100 MB hub spike and
> vanish as the transfer occurs. A 100 MB file may take 8 minutes.
> Adding a separate 3Com 3C905 will copy the same file in a more
> reasonable 10 seconds, and the hub meter stays peaked without the
> spiking I described.
>
> System has
> 1 GB memory
> 3000+ Winchester core not overclocked
>
> I have:
>
> Performed a repair operation on the Marvell NIC
> Rebooted and even cleared the CMOS
> Powered off the PC for a hour
> Manually changed the speed to 100 MB Full from the default Autosense
> Changed cables to the hub
>
> Does anyone have any additional tips that might help in diagnosing and
> correcting this problem? If the on-board LOM has failed, then how are
> the ASUS folks at warranty repair and return?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> PB

Have you tried the "Virtual Cable Tester" software ?
Gigabit ethernet uses eight wires in the cable, while
100bt uses four wires in the cable. Run the cable tester
and see what it says. I had a bad connection in my
ethernet connector on the motherboard, and a few
insertion/removal cycles cleaned dirt off the connector
contacts.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS