P$C800-E deluxe Initial Attempt to Power Up

I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.

Mo Bo
P4 cpu
cpu cooler
video card
one SATA drive
Antec p160 case
Antec 550w ps

No:
monitor
mouse
keyboard
pci cards
no optical disks

It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.

Thanks for the help./
Regards,
Jim

Did you install any ram?
"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
>
> Mo Bo
> P4 cpu
> cpu cooler
> video card
> one SATA drive
> Antec p160 case
> Antec 550w ps
>

> No:
> monitor
> mouse
> keyboard
> pci cards
> no optical disks
>
> It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
> I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
>
> Thanks for the help./
> Regards,
> Jim

yes, 1 Gig from Mushkin.

"RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Did you install any ram?
> "jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
>>
>> Mo Bo
>> P4 cpu
>> cpu cooler
>> video card
>> one SATA drive
>> Antec p160 case
>> Antec 550w ps
>>

>> No:
>> monitor
>> mouse
>> keyboard
>> pci cards
>> no optical disks
>>
>> It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
>> I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
>>
>> Thanks for the help./
>> Regards,
>> Jim

Paul

Splendid

In article <3pKdnRHU1ca6xRzfRVn-1Q@comcast.com>, "jime"
<jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote:

> yes, 1 Gig from Mushkin.

Check that the 2x2 power connector is plugged in.
Make sure the power switch is connected to the
correct two pins on the PANEL connector.

The motherboard should be able to start with zero
components installed on the motherboard. A minimum
system is motherboard, power switch, power supply.
Plug amplified speakers into the green lineout connector.
When you press the power switch, the PSU fan should run,
and you'll hear an error message come from the amplified
speakers (left channel).

The easiest way to do this kind of testing, is with
the motherboard sitting on your table. Put a thick
telephone book under the motherboard for support.
Add components one at a time, remembering to unplug
the PSU whenever adding or removing components.

Paul

> "RBM" <rbm2(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > Did you install any ram?
> > "jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
> >>
> >> Mo Bo
> >> P4 cpu
> >> cpu cooler
> >> video card
> >> one SATA drive
> >> Antec p160 case
> >> Antec 550w ps
> >>

> >> No:
> >> monitor
> >> mouse
> >> keyboard
> >> pci cards
> >> no optical disks
> >>
> >> It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
> >> I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the help./
> >> Regards,
> >> Jim

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
>
> Mo Bo
> P4 cpu
> cpu cooler
> video card
> one SATA drive
> Antec p160 case
> Antec 550w ps
>

> No:
> monitor
> mouse
> keyboard
> pci cards
> no optical disks
>
> It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
> I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
>
> Thanks for the help./
> Regards,
> Jim

I had exactly the same thing with my P4C800-E and I was just about to RMA it
too.
Luckily I found a solution on http://www.abxzone.com/ to my Seemingly Dead
M/B.
Basically take out the cmos battery or short the CLRTC jumper, probably one
or the other would suffice
but I done both to be safe!
After this M/B came back to life and is now working like a dream....

Regards

Frank

I now have a bare motherboard. Only the two power cables plugged in. It
still does not come up.It is either the Antec 550w ps or the mobo. I guess
I'll measure the voltages.

Other ideas?
Jim
P.S. Does the vendor (Newegg) have to give the tech support?

"jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
>
> Mo Bo
> P4 cpu
> cpu cooler
> video card
> one SATA drive
> Antec p160 case
> Antec 550w ps
>

> No:
> monitor
> mouse
> keyboard
> pci cards
> no optical disks
>
> It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
> I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
>
> Thanks for the help./
> Regards,
> Jim

I have exactly the same setup and I installed RAM. Nothing happened
when I started the machine. I rechecked all electric and IDE
connections, but did not find anything wrong. I had installed a
ZALMAN fan however and when I removed it to check the CPU I noticed
that the CPU came out attached to the fan. I cleaned everything and
reinstalled the CPU and Zalman fan. I was careful not to use too much
heat grease and I tightened the fan snuggly, but not as tight as I had
the first time.

The machine started up without a problem. Hope this helps.

JACK

On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:11:09 -0400, "jime" <jimeiffe@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I am building the subject mobo. I installed a minimum config.
>
>Mo Bo
>P4 cpu
>cpu cooler
>video card
>one SATA drive
>Antec p160 case
>Antec 550w ps
>

>No:
>monitor
>mouse
>keyboard
>pci cards
>no optical disks
>
>It is dead. There is a green light on the mobo that is on.
>I ohm'd the power on switch, it is ok.
>
>Thanks for the help./
>Regards,
>Jim

This is the latest:
If I unplug the 4 pin power it will come up. I rechecked the position of the
plug and it is installed right.
Talked to Asus TS. Everything they suggested I had already done. Gave me
some things to try. Like remove the board from the tray. did it, no joy.
Asus did say they would rma it if these thing did not fix it. I am calling
newegg and hope to get a swap, should be faster.

Jim

> This is the latest:
> If I unplug the 4 pin power it will come up. I rechecked the position of
> the plug and it is installed right.
> Talked to Asus TS. Everything they suggested I had already done. Gave me
> some things to try. Like remove the board from the tray. did it, no joy.
> Asus did say they would rma it if these thing did not fix it. I am calling
> newegg and hope to get a swap, should be faster.

We are a dealer and have seen similiar issues with that motherboard
model and some Antec power supplies. We thought that ASUS
had revised the board to fix it. The issue pertains to the Antec 4-pin
power plug which doesn't always attach to the motherboard well.

Is it hard to push on? Do you have another brand power supply
to try?

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Hi. I am the person you talked to on the phone about this problem with
constant reboots. I wonder if anyone makes a short cable with a 4 pin male
on one end and 4 pin female on the other to try to save the power supply.

-michael