Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fast B&W printer - Non Laser

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
May 25, 2004 8:00:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.

Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
to help with printing. only black and white required as
no colour prinitng will be required on this printer

Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that
doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so )

Any thpughts appreciated


Cheers
Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
...............................................
Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)

http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
http://www.megagreen.co.uk
http://www.infiniter.co.uk
http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
http://www.dailysmile.co.uk

More about : fast printer laser

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Look at the Canon models. At least one of them will have a 3/4" wide black
print head that cranks out text VERY fast. I'm not sure which models
currently have that head, but my trusty old S750 does. It's as fast as most
lasers. The Canon site rates them for B/W speeds. Also they are dirt cheep
to operate and refill.


"Bluesky" <spam@spame.come> wrote in message
news:q5Ksc.137$ir2.53@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
> a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
> warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>
> Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
> cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
> to help with printing. only black and white required as
> no colour prinitng will be required on this printer
>
> Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that
> doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so )
>
> Any thpughts appreciated
>
>
> Cheers
> Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
> ..............................................
> Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
> http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)
>
> http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
> http://www.megagreen.co.uk
> http://www.infiniter.co.uk
> http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
> http://www.dailysmile.co.uk
>
>
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 8:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Bluesky wrote:
> I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
> a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
> warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>
> Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
> cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
> to help with printing. only black and white required as
> no colour prinitng will be required on this printer
>
> Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that
> doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so )
>
> Any thpughts appreciated
>
>
> Cheers
> Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
> ..............................................
> Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
> http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)
>
> http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
> http://www.megagreen.co.uk
> http://www.infiniter.co.uk
> http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
> http://www.dailysmile.co.uk
>
>
Laser printers use static electricity to place toner dust lightly on the
paper.

Laser printers then FUSE or MELT (pressure sinter) the toner dust onto
the paper for the image to be permanent.

Different laser printers use different toners and different temperatures
to fuse the toner onto the paper.

So, *some* laser printers may mess up *some* adhesive labels and some
other laser printers won't mess up some adhesive labels.

I have ran adhesive labels twice through my HP Laserjet III printer with
no problems of curl or warpage.

No, I done't really remember what adhesive labels they were, but I
usually use Avery.

Jim

--
................................


Keepsake gift for young girls.
Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
Builds strong minds 12 ways.
Guaranteed satisfaction
- courteous money back
- keep bonus gifts

http://www.alicebook.com
Related resources
May 26, 2004 3:28:17 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Bluesky" <spam@spame.come> wrote in message news:<q5Ksc.137$ir2.53@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>...
> I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
> a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
> warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>
> Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
> cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT

I think new faster lasers use a higher temperature to fuse toner
quicker.

If you can try an older one, like an HPIII,it may not have that
problem. Also, the diameter of the drum might affect it. A loarger
drum should make less curl, also if course run the labels straight
through, many printers have a back hatcgh to let paper go through
without bending.

Of course, really cheap solution is to use an impact printer. Not so
fast though, but the labels are cheaper too.
May 27, 2004 2:51:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Thanks for the information and advice guys , much appreciated.

I took a different route , following a post on alt.consumers i purchased
this
outstanding value Samsung , from comet

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/179973.html

its a Black and White laser reduced to £45 ( also available instore )
and paper is kicked out to a flat tra y £so i decided to try it as its only
£45.
The problem is now solved , ive done 600 label sheets tonight , sent through
the machine TWICE and ive not lost even one sheet.
The sheets still come out Hot/Warm but as they rest on a flat tray instead
of
upright which caused them to cool with a bend / warped , then it seems to
have solved the
probelm

Even if you dont need it to solve a problem like this i recommed this
printer as it seesm still
excelalnt value and refills can be bought cheaply at www.refilltoner.co.uk
for £16.99

--
Cheers
Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
...............................................
Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)

http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
http://www.megagreen.co.uk
http://www.infiniter.co.uk
http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
http://www.dailysmile.co.uk
"Bluesky" <spam@spame.come> wrote in message
news:q5Ksc.137$ir2.53@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
> a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
> warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>
> Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
> cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
> to help with printing. only black and white required as
> no colour prinitng will be required on this printer
>
> Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that
> doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so )
>
> Any thpughts appreciated
>
>
> Cheers
> Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
> ..............................................
> Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
> http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)
>
> http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
> http://www.megagreen.co.uk
> http://www.infiniter.co.uk
> http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
> http://www.dailysmile.co.uk
>
>
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 4:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I too run stickers of all sorts through my laser printers. I rarely
have warpage from the adhesive melting. I use a HP II and Panasonic
KX-4420 printer. I have also run these through photocopiers without
problems.

As the person below mentions, each machine uses different toners and
different fuser temperatures. If you have a problem with warpage, make
sure you buy stickers designated for laser printers or photocopiers.

You may also be able to flatten the stickers under a couple of phone
books as soon as they come out of the printer, allowing them to fully
cool, and then running them through a second time.

You might want to check with some of the sticker manufacturers and see
if they carry stickers designed for higher temperature laser
printers/copiers, or contact Samsung or Lexmark (who brand some Samsung
laser printers as their own) for recommended sticker brands for your
purpose.

If you will be printing a lot of these stickers, cost of printing will
be best with a black and white laser printer.

Otherwise, if considering an inkjet printer, consider one that uses
pigmented inks for black text to avoid bleeding during printing (without
having to use inkjet coated stickers, which get costly) and
these will also be waterproof in most cases. Some Canon, HP and Epson
(Models C64/66 C80/82/84/86) printers have pigmented black inks in their
non-photo color cartridges.

Art


jbuch wrote:

> Bluesky wrote:
>
>> I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
>> a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
>> warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>>
>> Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
>> cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
>> to help with printing. only black and white required as
>> no colour prinitng will be required on this printer
>>
>> Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that
>> doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so )
>>
>> Any thpughts appreciated
>>
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul [Bluesky Marketing]
>> ..............................................
>> Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life
>> http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-)
>>
>> http://www.laserpointers.co.uk
>> http://www.megagreen.co.uk
>> http://www.infiniter.co.uk
>> http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk
>> http://www.dailysmile.co.uk
>>
>>
> Laser printers use static electricity to place toner dust lightly on the
> paper.
>
> Laser printers then FUSE or MELT (pressure sinter) the toner dust onto
> the paper for the image to be permanent.
>
> Different laser printers use different toners and different temperatures
> to fuse the toner onto the paper.
>
> So, *some* laser printers may mess up *some* adhesive labels and some
> other laser printers won't mess up some adhesive labels.
>
> I have ran adhesive labels twice through my HP Laserjet III printer with
> no problems of curl or warpage.
>
> No, I done't really remember what adhesive labels they were, but I
> usually use Avery.
>
> Jim
>
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:01:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I would agree that if you can find an older model laser and don't need
it for high quality image printing (they are fine for text) and fast
enough - 8 pages a minute that might be the best course of action.

They often can have the cartridges refilled cheaply (the drums were
designed for quite a few prints) and the refurb carts are much cheaper
than the current models, and usually have a lot more toner in them. My
HP II has no problem with running stickers designed for tractor feed
impact printers through with no problem (and I have run them through
several times).

Art

Alan wrote:

> "Bluesky" <spam@spame.come> wrote in message news:<q5Ksc.137$ir2.53@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net>...
>
>>I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with
>>a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat
>>warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run.
>>
>>Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with
>>cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT
>
>
> I think new faster lasers use a higher temperature to fuse toner
> quicker.
>
> If you can try an older one, like an HPIII,it may not have that
> problem. Also, the diameter of the drum might affect it. A loarger
> drum should make less curl, also if course run the labels straight
> through, many printers have a back hatcgh to let paper go through
> without bending.
>
> Of course, really cheap solution is to use an impact printer. Not so
> fast though, but the labels are cheaper too.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 5:04:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

OOPS! I just realized I got onto and was answering a thread that was
from May of this year... sorry about that... ignore my replies...
obviously, the issue has been resolved some time ago!


Art
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
news:94ied.35996$z96.8062@clgrps12...
>I would agree that if you can find an older model laser and don't need it
>for high quality image printing (they are fine for text) and fast enough -
>8 pages a minute that might be the best course of action.
>
> They often can have the cartridges refilled cheaply (the drums were
> designed for quite a few prints) and the refurb carts are much cheaper
> than the current models, and usually have a lot more toner in them. My HP
> II has no problem with running stickers designed for tractor feed impact
> printers through with no problem (and I have run them through several
> times).
>
> Art
>

I'm glad to see someone else who uses continuous form labels in their
printers. They are a lot cheaper than sheet fed labels. I've used them for
years without any problems. Just tear them into individual sheets and load
them in. When I had my print shops I also ran them through my offset
presses. The only problem with some lasers is that they don't print the
image at exactly the dimensions specified. My little Lexmark E312 is off by
a couple of percent which affects the vertical alignment of text on the
lower labels. My previous lasers (HP5000 and bigger Lexmarks) were dead on.
I also run these labels through my Canon inkjets and they are 100% accurate.

Ron Cohen


---
AVG reports Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.779 / Virus Database: 526 - Release Date: 10/19/2004
!