Workgroup vs Domain sharing problem

I use XP Pro sp2 at both home (tower) and work (laptop).
My home system uses a workgroup and my laptop is a member of a domain. Both
have the same name. Lanca
I also have a netgear wireless router to share internet access.
I am trying to share my home printer - which is shared, but the laptop will
not recognize the tower in order to add the shared printer. I also on
occasion wish to share files. The laptop takes a very long time even showing
me the lanca network location when trying to find it at home.
The tower recognizes the laptop, and if I double click on it, it asks for a
user name and password, then gives me access to the laptop.
What am I doing wrong??
Thanks,
5 answers Last reply
More about workgroup domain sharing problem

    Golfnutz wrote:

    > I use XP Pro sp2 at both home (tower) and work (laptop).
    > My home system uses a workgroup and my laptop is a member of a domain.
    > Both have the same name. Lanca
    > I also have a netgear wireless router to share internet access.
    > I am trying to share my home printer - which is shared, but the laptop
    > will not recognize the tower in order to add the shared printer. I
    > also on occasion wish to share files. The laptop takes a very long
    > time even showing me the lanca network location when trying to find it
    > at home. The tower recognizes the laptop, and if I double click on it,
    > it asks for a user name and password, then gives me access to the
    > laptop. What am I doing wrong??
    > Thanks,

    Here is how to use your laptop (domain account) at home:

    from MVP Lanwench:

    Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Golfnutz wrote:
    >
    > > I use XP Pro sp2 at both home (tower) and work (laptop).
    > > My home system uses a workgroup and my laptop is a member of a domain.
    > > Both have the same name. Lanca
    > > I also have a netgear wireless router to share internet access.
    > > I am trying to share my home printer - which is shared, but the laptop
    > > will not recognize the tower in order to add the shared printer. I
    > > also on occasion wish to share files. The laptop takes a very long
    > > time even showing me the lanca network location when trying to find it
    > > at home. The tower recognizes the laptop, and if I double click on it,
    > > it asks for a user name and password, then gives me access to the
    > > laptop. What am I doing wrong??
    > > Thanks,
    >
    > Here is how to use your laptop (domain account) at home:
    >
    > from MVP Lanwench:
    >
    > Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources
    > on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all.
    > Once you've logged in using your domain account (using cached
    > credentials), and have an IP address on the home network, you can map
    > drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command
    > line:
    >
    > net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    I'm not sure I typed in all the right variables, so if you could be a bit
    more specific, it would be helpful.

    Home tower computer has a name of P4
    Home user is golfnutz
    Laptop name is lsd-vaiolaptop
    Laptop user is golferd

    not sure what to put in for sharename or user

    Thanks,
    Golfnutz

    Golfnutz wrote:

    >> Here is how to use your laptop (domain account) at home:
    >>
    >> from MVP Lanwench:
    >>
    >> Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access
    >> resources on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network
    >> settings at all. Once you've logged in using your domain account
    >> (using cached credentials), and have an IP address on the home
    >> network, you can map drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one
    >> way, in a command line:
    >>
    >> net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username
    >> <enter>

    > I'm not sure I typed in all the right variables, so if you could be a
    > bit more specific, it would be helpful.
    >
    > Home tower computer has a name of P4
    > Home user is golfnutz
    > Laptop name is lsd-vaiolaptop
    > Laptop user is golferd
    >
    > not sure what to put in for sharename or user

    Here's a link to an MS article which details the full use of the net use
    command:

    http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj

    Malke
    --

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Golfnutz wrote:
    >
    > >> Here is how to use your laptop (domain account) at home:
    > >>
    > >> from MVP Lanwench:
    > >>
    > >> Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access
    > >> resources on it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network
    > >> settings at all. Once you've logged in using your domain account
    > >> (using cached credentials), and have an IP address on the home
    > >> network, you can map drives, use printers, whatnot, very easily - one
    > >> way, in a command line:
    > >>
    > >> net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username
    > >> <enter>
    >

    > > I'm not sure I typed in all the right variables, so if you could be a
    > > bit more specific, it would be helpful.
    > >
    > > Home tower computer has a name of P4
    > > Home user is golfnutz
    > > Laptop name is lsd-vaiolaptop
    > > Laptop user is golferd
    > >
    > > not sure what to put in for sharename or user
    >
    > Here's a link to an MS article which details the full use of the net use
    > command:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    Using the net use command only shows me my disconnected work network drives.
    It will not show me my home workgroup or P4 computer, so I still cannot
    connect to the printer or access the shared drives on my home system.
    Could the wireless router be stopping things? It doesn't make sense since as
    I said earlier, P4's view workgroup computers sees the laptop and can access
    it's resources if I set them to share. It just asks for a valid user name and
    password.
    Why would it only work in one direction??? My home computer (P4) has all
    it's resources shared.
    Thanks again,
    Golfnutz

    Golfnutz wrote:

    >> > I'm not sure I typed in all the right variables, so if you could be
    >> > a bit more specific, it would be helpful.
    >> >
    >> > Home tower computer has a name of P4
    >> > Home user is golfnutz
    >> > Laptop name is lsd-vaiolaptop
    >> > Laptop user is golferd
    >> >
    >> > not sure what to put in for sharename or user
    >>
    >> Here's a link to an MS article which details the full use of the net
    >> use command:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/3bpnj
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >>
    > Using the net use command only shows me my disconnected work network
    > drives. It will not show me my home workgroup or P4 computer, so I
    > still cannot connect to the printer or access the shared drives on my
    > home system. Could the wireless router be stopping things? It doesn't
    > make sense since as I said earlier, P4's view workgroup computers sees
    > the laptop and can access it's resources if I set them to share. It
    > just asks for a valid user name and password.
    > Why would it only work in one direction??? My home computer (P4) has
    > all it's resources shared.
    > Thanks again,
    > Golfnutz

    No, the wireless router is not stopping things. It sounds as though you
    have a firewall misconfigured. Here is a network troubleshooter by MVP
    Hans-Georg Michna. Go through it carefully and it will pinpoint the
    source of the problem.

    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --