hidden CD drive

My computer wont recognize my CD Rom drive under windoxs
XP home. When I boot up the BIOS shows the drive. Any

See my post in the xp general newsgroup dated 27/8/04 at 16:04 as I have
exactly the same problem but everything the MVP has suggested hasn't worked
,you might have better luck!

TonyP

I'm not sure what the MVP suggested, but here are my suggestions.

1. Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now does it list the
CD ROM drive in there? If it does, try #2. If not, try #4.
2. Also, right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk
Management. Is it listed there?
3. Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
4. Turn off the PC, open the case, remove the power cable and IDE cable
from the CD ROM drive. Now plug them back in snugly and see if that
helps. Some may thing you have jumpered the drive wrong, but if it is
showing properly in the BIOS, I doubt this is the problem.
5. Check the BIOS settings and make sure you don't have it disabled
somehow, but it is still showing up as a peice of hardware connected to
the motherboard.
6. Try a different CD Rom drive in the computer and see if that one
works. Also, try the CD Rom drive in another computer and see if it
works in that one. This will help you determine if the problem lies
with the CD Rom drive or the computer.

----
Nathan McNulty