A8N-SLi - Overclocking Guide Anyone?

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Oh boy! Am I confused?

I have been lurking around this group for the last few months and so far
have not been able to make head nor tail of this overclocking lark.

I have an A8N-SLi, with an Athlon 3200+ and 2 * Corsair TWINX512-3200C2PT

Please does anyone know where there may be a good overclocking guide? I
have Googled but had no real success.

I have looked at nVidia's EasyTune, and I had high hopes that would do the
job for me, but all I get is warning about the HTT being tied to the PCI.

That means little to me, and I sure don't know how to untie the two. What
is the solution?

ANY help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Jon

Don wrote:
> Oh boy! Am I confused?
>
> I have been lurking around this group for the last few months and so far
> have not been able to make head nor tail of this overclocking lark.
>
> I have an A8N-SLi, with an Athlon 3200+ and 2 * Corsair TWINX512-3200C2PT
>
> Please does anyone know where there may be a good overclocking guide? I
> have Googled but had no real success.
>
> I have looked at nVidia's EasyTune, and I had high hopes that would do the
> job for me, but all I get is warning about the HTT being tied to the PCI.
>
> That means little to me, and I sure don't know how to untie the two. What
> is the solution?
>
> ANY help would be very much appreciated.

This one is good:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1497607&enterthread=y

although there are some caveats with the A8N, mostly in the terminology
ASUS uses. And also in that it is important to lock your PCI at 33 MHz.
And there is a BIOS setting for that in A8N, but apart from setting
this, you ALSO have to put the LDT (which ASUS calls "CPU speed"(!) in
the JumperFree menu or something like that, weird...) above 200 MHz (201
MHz for instance) before PCI is actually locked at 33 MHz, if you want
to adjust things later on in Windows.

/David