Hardware changing name! external HD

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

I have a Amacom external harddrive with a usb connection. This drive is a
hot swap and has worked perfectly with XP Pro for over a year. Normally I
plug it in and it finds the Amacom Drive, now when I plug it in it is finding
a Fujitsu Drive! Once it installs the Fujitsu Drive it then cant connect to
the drive! I have tried installing the Amacom drivers (which I have never
had to do before) but I get a message saying the drivers do not apply to the
fujitsu device!

Is it possible for an external ard drive to suddenly think it his now a
Fujitsu hard drive? Im not sure if its XP or the hard drive. Amacom
advertise the harddrive of being shock proof and capable of dropping 9 feet
onto concrete, I only took it out the case so it cant be the drive can it??

Please help, this drive is my back up devise and has a years worth of photos
on it!

Did you perhaps install any device drivers from Windows Update? This is
usually considered a no-no.

I've never seen this happen with a USB hard drive. You may need to find it
in the registry & remove it & then try to install the correct drivers, or
see if plug&play detects it properly.

Not sure what you mean by "took it out of the case"....what did you do,
exactly?

Reg wrote:
> I have a Amacom external harddrive with a usb connection. This drive
> is a hot swap and has worked perfectly with XP Pro for over a year.
> Normally I plug it in and it finds the Amacom Drive, now when I plug
> it in it is finding a Fujitsu Drive! Once it installs the Fujitsu
> Drive it then cant connect to the drive! I have tried installing the
> Amacom drivers (which I have never had to do before) but I get a
> message saying the drivers do not apply to the fujitsu device!
>
> Is it possible for an external ard drive to suddenly think it his now
> a Fujitsu hard drive? Im not sure if its XP or the hard drive.
> Amacom advertise the harddrive of being shock proof and capable of
> dropping 9 feet onto concrete, I only took it out the case so it cant
> be the drive can it??
>
> Please help, this drive is my back up devise and has a years worth of
> photos on it!

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Many thanks for your swift response. When I say toook it out of case I mean
the carry case that holds the drive not the drive case!

What would I need to change in the registry, will the fujitsu drive have an
entry?

After formatting I tried the drive before going to windows update, my system
disk is xp pro with sp1, however I have formatted and re-installed many times
using this disk with no problems.

Cheers

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> Did you perhaps install any device drivers from Windows Update? This is
> usually considered a no-no.
>
> I've never seen this happen with a USB hard drive. You may need to find it
> in the registry & remove it & then try to install the correct drivers, or
> see if plug&play detects it properly.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "took it out of the case"....what did you do,
> exactly?
>
> Reg wrote:
> > I have a Amacom external harddrive with a usb connection. This drive
> > is a hot swap and has worked perfectly with XP Pro for over a year.
> > Normally I plug it in and it finds the Amacom Drive, now when I plug
> > it in it is finding a Fujitsu Drive! Once it installs the Fujitsu
> > Drive it then cant connect to the drive! I have tried installing the
> > Amacom drivers (which I have never had to do before) but I get a
> > message saying the drivers do not apply to the fujitsu device!
> >
> > Is it possible for an external ard drive to suddenly think it his now
> > a Fujitsu hard drive? Im not sure if its XP or the hard drive.
> > Amacom advertise the harddrive of being shock proof and capable of
> > dropping 9 feet onto concrete, I only took it out the case so it cant
> > be the drive can it??
> >
> > Please help, this drive is my back up devise and has a years worth of
> > photos on it!

Ah, well, you took it out of the shipping carton. Not supported! <g>

The registry can be a scary place. You'd most likely find your USB drive in
HKLM\system\current control set\enum\usb\..... of course you'd make a backup
by exporting it out to a .reg file on your desktop or somewhere safe, before
changing anything.

Have you tried contacting the USB drive mfr for support first?

Reg wrote:
> Many thanks for your swift response. When I say toook it out of case
> I mean the carry case that holds the drive not the drive case!
>
> What would I need to change in the registry, will the fujitsu drive
> have an entry?
>
> After formatting I tried the drive before going to windows update, my
> system disk is xp pro with sp1, however I have formatted and
> re-installed many times using this disk with no problems.
>
> Cheers
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>
>> Did you perhaps install any device drivers from Windows Update? This
>> is usually considered a no-no.
>>
>> I've never seen this happen with a USB hard drive. You may need to
>> find it in the registry & remove it & then try to install the
>> correct drivers, or see if plug&play detects it properly.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean by "took it out of the case"....what did you
>> do, exactly?
>>
>> Reg wrote:
>>> I have a Amacom external harddrive with a usb connection. This
>>> drive is a hot swap and has worked perfectly with XP Pro for over a
>>> year. Normally I plug it in and it finds the Amacom Drive, now when
>>> I plug it in it is finding a Fujitsu Drive! Once it installs the
>>> Fujitsu Drive it then cant connect to the drive! I have tried
>>> installing the Amacom drivers (which I have never had to do before)
>>> but I get a message saying the drivers do not apply to the fujitsu
>>> device!
>>>
>>> Is it possible for an external ard drive to suddenly think it his
>>> now a Fujitsu hard drive? Im not sure if its XP or the hard drive.
>>> Amacom advertise the harddrive of being shock proof and capable of
>>> dropping 9 feet onto concrete, I only took it out the case so it
>>> cant be the drive can it??
>>>
>>> Please help, this drive is my back up devise and has a years worth
>>> of photos on it!

reg

Distinguished
May 11, 2004

Thanks for that, If I try and remove from the registry will the drive need to
be plugged in at the time?

I tried to e-mail Amacom support but that was a week ago and no response!

Reg wrote:
> Thanks for that, If I try and remove from the registry will the drive
> need to be plugged in at the time?

With it plugged in, take a look at the registry and post what you see in
there...
I think you'll want it unplugged when you remove the 'offending item', tho.
And be careful when editing the registry!