P4C800-E Deluxe ~ newbie question about LAN

Toby

I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra, 2 x
160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received when I
got the machine.
Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does not.
In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark thingy.
It is enabled in BIOS.
I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do so.
I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell me
how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the manual
but this doesn't give much help either
Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and, probably
more important, how to do so?
As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.

Many thanks

Toby

Toby
Did you get the cd with the Asus drivers?
If install the drivers for the network card.
Ken'

"Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
> P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra, 2 x
> 160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
> Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received when I
> got the machine.
> Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does not.
> In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark
> thingy.
> It is enabled in BIOS.
> I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do so.
> I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell me
> how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the manual
> but this doesn't give much help either
> Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and,
> probably
> more important, how to do so?
> As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Toby

Here is the Asus download site for that board. It has the drivers for the
nic
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P4C800-E%20Deluxe
"Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
> P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra, 2 x
> 160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
> Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received when I
> got the machine.
> Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does not.
> In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark
> thingy.
> It is enabled in BIOS.
> I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do so.
> I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell me
> how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the manual
> but this doesn't give much help either
> Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and,
> probably
> more important, how to do so?
> As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Toby

Toby

Thanks Ken'

unfortunately, and as said in my op, no documentation or software was
received when I
got the machine.

Toby

"Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Toby
> Did you get the cd with the Asus drivers?
> If install the drivers for the network card.
> Ken'
>

> "Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> >I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
> > P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra,
2 x
> > 160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
> > Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received
when I
> > got the machine.
> > Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does
not.
> > In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark
> > thingy.
> > It is enabled in BIOS.
> > I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do
so.
> > I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell
me
> > how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the
manual
> > but this doesn't give much help either
> > Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and,
> > probably
> > more important, how to do so?
> > As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Toby

BigJim

you need to insert the cd that came with the machine and install the lan
drivers
you may also at startup hit the delete button to enter the bios to make sure
the onboard lan is enabled.

> Thanks Ken'
>
> unfortunately, and as said in my op, no documentation or software was
> received when I
> got the machine.
>
> Toby
>

> "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote in message
>> Toby
>> Did you get the cd with the Asus drivers?
>> If install the drivers for the network card.
>> Ken'
>>

>> "Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
>> > P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra,
> 2 x
>> > 160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
>> > Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received
> when I
>> > got the machine.
>> > Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does
> not.
>> > In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark
>> > thingy.
>> > It is enabled in BIOS.
>> > I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do
> so.
>> > I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell
> me
>> > how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the
> manual
>> > but this doesn't give much help either
>> > Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and,
>> > probably
>> > more important, how to do so?
>> > As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>> >
>> > Many thanks
>> >
>> > Toby

To see "what's working and what isn't", it's a good practice to do the
following in Windows:

- right-click My Computer, click Manage
- expand device manager
- look for devices with a yellow question mark

Such devices are usually missing the required driver.

-Pat

Toby wrote:
> Thanks Ken'
>
> unfortunately, and as said in my op, no documentation or software was
> received when I
> got the machine.
>
> Toby
>

> "Ken'" <xyz@Mailinator.com> wrote in message
>
>>Toby
>>Did you get the cd with the Asus drivers?
>>If install the drivers for the network card.
>>Ken'
>>

>>"Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
>>>P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra,
>
> 2 x
>
>>>160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
>>>Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received
>
> when I
>
>>>got the machine.
>>>Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does
>
> not.
>
>>>In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark
>>>thingy.
>>>It is enabled in BIOS.
>>>I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do
>
> so.
>
>>>I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell
>
> me
>
>>>how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the
>
> manual
>
>>>but this doesn't give much help either
>>>Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and,
>>>probably
>>>more important, how to do so?
>>>As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>>>
>>>Many thanks
>>>
>>>Toby

The XP driver you need is located here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us and
it's the 4th one up from the bottom of the page.

I would go back to whomever built the system for you and demand the
manual and CD!

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:19:33 +0100, "Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
>P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra, 2 x
>160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
>Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received when I
>got the machine.
>Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does not.
>In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark thingy.
>It is enabled in BIOS.
>I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do so.
>I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell me
>how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the manual
>but this doesn't give much help either
>Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and, probably
>more important, how to do so?
>As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>
>Many thanks
>
>Toby

Unzip the file you downloaded (WINXP.ZIP) to an empty temp folder. Go
back to Device Manager and double click on your ethernet card with the
yellow exclamation point. Select the Driver tab and click on "Update
Driver". When prompted, browse to the temp folder where you unzipped
the files. The ethernet should now install and your yellow
exclamation point will disappear.

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 02:02:27 -0400, Pete Gray <pg4@pg4.net> wrote:

>The XP driver you need is located here:
>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us and
>it's the 4th one up from the bottom of the page.
>
>I would go back to whomever built the system for you and demand the
>manual and CD!
>

>On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:19:33 +0100, "Toby" <nobody@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I recently acquired a pc based on the above.
>>P4 3.4 gig cpu, 1 gb corsair xms ddr500 pro memory, Nvidia 6800 ultra, 2 x
>>160gb Maxtor SATA drives running Raid 0, OS is windows XP.
>>Home built but not by me. No documentation or software was received when I
>>got the machine.
>>Generally it works very well but the onboard ethernet controller does not.
>>In device manager it is shown with the yellow circled question mark thingy.
>>It is enabled in BIOS.
>>I would like to connect this machine to my home network but cannot do so.
>>I've looked around the Asus site but cant find anything that will tell me
>>how to get the ethernet controller working. I have downloaded the manual
>>but this doesn't give much help either
>>Can anyone give me *explicit* instructions on what to install and, probably
>>more important, how to do so?
>>As subject, I am a newbie to this sort of thing.
>>
>>Many thanks
>>
>>Toby

The yellow symbol indicates you have the wrong drivers, or a default driver
that works to some degree, but is not the one intended. You can probably
acquire the right one from Asus.com while you are connected to the internet.
I believe you'll find there is a new driver released for this MB. I have
the same board and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. If you like,
I'll send you a copy of the original MB disk that came with my board.
Simply request it at turbotec100@hotmail.com. When all is right with this
board, you'll be extremely happy since it's the best board I've ever owned.
Actually, I run two computers with this board, and I've never had so much as
a hic-cup.