A8N-E - Can't use double-sided DDR400?

I'm a newbie at building up systems.... Have an Asus A8N-E board. The
manual says due to CPU limitation the board doesn't support
"double-sided x 16" DIMM modules. Does the "16" refer to the number of
chips on the module? I bought a couple of sticks of Mushkin basic green
and it's double-sided with 16 chips on it. Do I have to go out and buy a
different brand? I haven't been able to find any DDR400 that isn't DS
with 16 chips on it.
4 answers Last reply
More about double sided ddr400

    "bosco335" <bosco335@att.net> wrote in message
    > I'm a newbie at building up systems.... Have an Asus A8N-E board. The
    > manual says due to CPU limitation the board doesn't support
    > "double-sided x 16" DIMM modules. Does the "16" refer to the number of
    > chips on the module? I bought a couple of sticks of Mushkin basic green
    > and it's double-sided with 16 chips on it. Do I have to go out and buy a
    > different brand? I haven't been able to find any DDR400 that isn't DS
    > with 16 chips on it.

    I don't know the particulars, but dbl sided RAM is a problem. I'm using
    Mushkin HP PC3200 blue (1T 2,2,3,5) and it works just fine. It was about
    $240 for 1GB (2x512).
    Call Mushkin, their reps are really helpful and knowledgeable.

    Hope this helps.
    john

    In article <g3Sge.749755$w62.333443@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
    bosco335 <bosco335@att.net> wrote:

    > I'm a newbie at building up systems.... Have an Asus A8N-E board. The
    > manual says due to CPU limitation the board doesn't support
    > "double-sided x 16" DIMM modules. Does the "16" refer to the number of
    > chips on the module? I bought a couple of sticks of Mushkin basic green
    > and it's double-sided with 16 chips on it. Do I have to go out and buy a
    > different brand? I haven't been able to find any DDR400 that isn't DS
    > with 16 chips on it.

    The "x16" part refers to the width of the data bus interface
    on each memory chip. A "side" or "rank" of memory is 64 bits wide
    in total. If you have memory chips with 16 bit data busses
    on them, it takes four of those chips to make a "side" of RAM.
    So, Asus is saying, if the DIMM has four chips on one side,
    and four chips on the other side, it is not supported. (This
    is something I cannot verify in AMD's documentation, so I
    cannot tell you if it is related to a particular stepping of
    S939 processor or not.)

    You can use double sided memory. Most commodity 512MB DIMMs
    have a total of 16 chips, 8 per side. Each chip would be
    32Mx8 bits of memory.

    It is also possible to build 512MB DIMMs single sided, in
    which case 8 chips of size 64Mx8 bits each would be used.

    I'm not aware of any 512MB DIMMs fitting Asus description
    above, so you should be able to safely buy 512MB DIMMs
    without worrying about that "x16" statement.

    The illegal ones that come to mind based on the Asus rule:
    128megabit memory chip = 8Mx16 or 16Mx8 type chips
    (16) 16Mx8 would make a double sided 256MB DIMM
    (8) 16Mx8 would make a single sided 128MB DIMM
    (8) 8Mx16 would make a double sided 128MB DIMM

    You can make a single sided 256MB DIMM with (8) 32Mx8 chips.
    Basically just a half populated 512MB DIMM. That would be
    OK with respect to the Asus rule.

    So, let's see what the OK list would look like:

    A 256MB single sided (8) 32MX8 would be OK.
    A 512MB single sided (8) 64Mx8 would be OK (and expensive)
    A 512MB double sided (16) 32Mx8 would be OK (and cheap)
    A 1GB double sided (16) 64Mx8 would be OK.

    You don't have too much to worry about. If you want to
    buy 1GB modules, they require extra care when you buy them,
    due to the prevalence of "stacked" RAM in the generic
    market. If buying 1GB modules, buy them from a reputable
    supplier like Crucial, Kingston, Corsair Micro and so on.
    Many of the products listed on Pricewatch will be the
    bad stuff (a low price is a dead giveaway for 1GB stacked
    RAM). This is not a motherboard issue, but a RAM issue.
    Stacked RAM are not JEDEC approved, and there is no good
    reason for these to exist in the market. (Stacked RAM
    are fine on registered memory modules, the kind used on
    servers. Unbuffered stacked RAM is a no-no.)

    Buying 2x512MB would be a worry free purchase.

    If you are planning on buying four DIMMs, to fill the
    board up, be aware that there have been reports on other
    motherboards, of half the RAM not being recognized, if all
    the RAM are not exactly the same DIMMs. If you had two CAS2
    DIMMs and two CAS3 DIMMs, there is a chance that one of
    the pairs of DIMMs would be ignored. This is a BIOS bug,
    so should eventually get fixed. It is a matter of the
    BIOS figuring out which DIMM is the slowest, and using
    the info from that DIMM when setting up the memory
    controller.

    Paul

    Thanks for the info!

Asus Motherboards