Memory problem on K8V SE Deluxe

Hello,
I've two Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard (with Athlon 64/3000 socket 754).

I bough two 1 GB PC3200 memory module.

One the two motherboard :
- when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 2, the computer hang
(after 2 or 10 hours) when running Windows
- when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 3, it seem there is no
problem.

running memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) detect no problem

And a last point, when I use two or three 512 MB memory module, I've never
problem.
I just noticied with three module :
- with bios 1005 , the memory speed is 133 Mhz
- with bios 1006 or beta 1007.2 , the memory speed is 166 Mhz (as expected)

I downloaded bios at
ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_754/VIA_Chipset/K8T800/K8V_Deluxe/

> I've two Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard (with Athlon 64/3000 socket 754).
> I bough two 1 GB PC3200 memory module.
> One the two motherboard :
> - when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 2, the computer hang
> (after 2 or 10 hours) when running Windows
> - when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 3, it seem there is
> no problem.> running memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) detect no problem
> And a last point, when I use two or three 512 MB memory module, I've never
> problem.
> I just noticied with three module :
> - with bios 1005 , the memory speed is 133 Mhz
> - with bios 1006 or beta 1007.2 , the memory speed is 166 Mhz (as
> expected)

That board can be picky about memory modules, especially 1GB ones.
What make and model are they?

--

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)

"KC Computers" <kc@kc-computers.com> wrote in message
>> I've two Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard (with Athlon 64/3000 socket 754).
>> I bough two 1 GB PC3200 memory module.
>> One the two motherboard :
>> - when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 2, the computer
>> hang (after 2 or 10 hours) when running Windows
>> - when I use the two memory SIMM on memory slot 1 and 3, it seem there is
>> no problem.> running memtest ( http://www.memtest.org/ ) detect no
>> problem
>> And a last point, when I use two or three 512 MB memory module, I've
>> never problem.
>> I just noticied with three module :
>> - with bios 1005 , the memory speed is 133 Mhz
>> - with bios 1006 or beta 1007.2 , the memory speed is 166 Mhz (as
>> expected)
>
> That board can be picky about memory modules, especially 1GB ones.
> What make and model are they?
>
> --
>
> ---
> Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
> E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
> Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

With two sticks, they should be in slots 1 and 3, and the speed should be
200, not 166.
You will get 133 if all three slots are populated.

Your sticks are apparently not a matched set, therefore the SPD timings
differ between the two, causing the speed to default to a lower 166
(although I never heard of this setting for that board) in order to keep
timing errors to a minimum. The only way to alleviate this situation adnd
get the full rated speed is to purchase a matched set of RAM.

Bobby