setting up sata as boot drive with an ide

I am setting up a new system usnig a P4P800. I have 1 sata drive and 1
ide drive. I installed windows on the sata. When I try to boot the
system I get a message that a boot drive cannot be found. If I reboot
the system and use the F8 key to allow manual selection of the boot
device and I select the sata drive the system boots fine. Also, if I
remove the ide the system will boot directly from the sata. I did know
do any modifications to the bios regarding the sata drive. Also when I
go into the bios setup and select boot order the sata drive is not
listed.
So, 2 questions, how can I have my system boot directly from the sata
and why doesn't the bios recognize the sata drive when selecting the
boot order.

thank you for your help

John

MASSA

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

"coltrane" <tendengarci@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am setting up a new system usnig a P4P800. I have 1 sata drive and 1
> ide drive. I installed windows on the sata. When I try to boot the
> system I get a message that a boot drive cannot be found. If I reboot
> the system and use the F8 key to allow manual selection of the boot
> device and I select the sata drive the system boots fine. Also, if I
> remove the ide the system will boot directly from the sata. I did know
> do any modifications to the bios regarding the sata drive. Also when I
> go into the bios setup and select boot order the sata drive is not
> listed.
> So, 2 questions, how can I have my system boot directly from the sata
> and why doesn't the bios recognize the sata drive when selecting the
> boot order.
>
> thank you for your help
>
> John

Hi John,

You should go into BIOS. On the Boot tab go to Hard Disk Drives and select
your SATA disk to be the first disk. After that your SATA disk will be
listed in Boot Device Priority.

Mladen

Thanks!!!!
I kepting going to the Boot device priority and I never noticed the
Hard Drive tab.
I did think there would be 2 priority pages.

again thanks

john