A8V

Hi,

I am thinking of moving to S939 in the not too distant future. Asus' A8V
is the only mobo I can find that'd take all my hard disks (without
additional hardware) and my AGP graphics card. If I dont get a boxed cpu
then a Zalman hsf will probably go on it.

Now the question is what CPU's can go into it. Chances are because im
poor, the first cpu for it will be a 3200+ or there abouts but what about
the future. Other S939 mobos need bios updates for certain S939 cpus. Are
there any issues like this to be aware of. Are there differnt revisions of
A8V to avoid?

Thanks ^_^

My A8V with the original bios recognized the 3500+ so you will have no
problem.

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of moving to S939 in the not too distant future. Asus' A8V
> is the only mobo I can find that'd take all my hard disks (without
> additional hardware) and my AGP graphics card. If I dont get a boxed cpu
> then a Zalman hsf will probably go on it.
>
> Now the question is what CPU's can go into it. Chances are because im
> poor, the first cpu for it will be a 3200+ or there abouts but what about
> the future. Other S939 mobos need bios updates for certain S939 cpus.
> Are
> there any issues like this to be aware of. Are there differnt revisions
> of
> A8V to avoid?
>
> Thanks ^_^

Asus lists BIOS revisions for various CPUs at their support site. (I'd offer
a link, but it appears to be down at the moment.)

Any BIOS will work with most of the Newcastle (130 nm) chips. I believe that
1007 is needed for most of the Winchesters (90 nm), although some may
require 1009.

The latest 90 nm Venice CPUs (E suffix) require 1011 or newer, if memory
serves.

It may be possible get started up with one of the newer CPUs by booting with
a single DIMM in slot B1, even if the BIOS is older than needed to provide
full support. I have not tried it.

The Rev. 2 versions of the board are desirable, but perhaps mainly to
overclockers. The AGP/PCI frequency locks supposedly did not work on the Rev
1.x boards, although I have read suggestions that newer BIOSes fixed that.
The locks seem to work fine on my Rev. 2 board.

My A8V Deluxe has been pretty robust, and I've had good luck with a pair of
unmatched generic 512 MB DIMMs (Samsung chips).

HTH.

"Kokoro" <kokoro@kokorolibrary.something.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of moving to S939 in the not too distant future. Asus' A8V
> is the only mobo I can find that'd take all my hard disks (without
> additional hardware) and my AGP graphics card. If I dont get a boxed cpu
> then a Zalman hsf will probably go on it.
>
> Now the question is what CPU's can go into it. Chances are because im
> poor, the first cpu for it will be a 3200+ or there abouts but what about
> the future. Other S939 mobos need bios updates for certain S939 cpus.
> Are
> there any issues like this to be aware of. Are there differnt revisions
> of
> A8V to avoid?
>
> Thanks ^_^

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus, Bob Knowlden ordered an army of
hamsters to type:

> Asus lists BIOS revisions for various CPUs at their support site. (I'd
> offer a link, but it appears to be down at the moment.)
>
> Any BIOS will work with most of the Newcastle (130 nm) chips. I
> believe that 1007 is needed for most of the Winchesters (90 nm),
> although some may require 1009.
>
> The latest 90 nm Venice CPUs (E suffix) require 1011 or newer, if
> memory serves.
>
> It may be possible get started up with one of the newer CPUs by
> booting with a single DIMM in slot B1, even if the BIOS is older than
> needed to provide full support. I have not tried it.
>
> The Rev. 2 versions of the board are desirable, but perhaps mainly to
> overclockers. The AGP/PCI frequency locks supposedly did not work on
> the Rev 1.x boards, although I have read suggestions that newer BIOSes
> fixed that. The locks seem to work fine on my Rev. 2 board.
>
> My A8V Deluxe has been pretty robust, and I've had good luck with a
> pair of unmatched generic 512 MB DIMMs (Samsung chips).
>
> HTH.
>
> Address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

Thanks for the replies!

I just hope that if I go ahead with it i wont get into the situation where
the board cant be booted up because of bios-cpu incompatibility.