Motherboard ID?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 6:27:54 PM

I am trying to diagnose the problems with a computer that has no video, just
one long beep at startup. Where on the motherboard is the model number
located? Try as I may, I can't find out which motherboard this is.

--
Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
Remove X's to reply

More about : motherboard

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2005 11:53:03 PM

"Michael Hobbs" <mdhobbs@qwest.net> wrote in message
news:p c7he.29$V51.1343@news.uswest.net...
>I am trying to diagnose the problems with a computer that has no video,
>just one long beep at startup. Where on the motherboard is the model number
>located? Try as I may, I can't find out which motherboard this is.
>

> --
> Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
> Remove X's to reply
> Michael Hobbs
> Minneapolis, Minnesota

A Single long beep, repeating at about a 1 second interval, usually
indicates an improperly seated RAM module.

Bobby

a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2005 12:03:57 AM

One long beep may indicate a short / incorrectly seated card

"Michael Hobbs" <mdhobbs@qwest.net> wrote in message
news:p c7he.29$V51.1343@news.uswest.net...
> I am trying to diagnose the problems with a computer that has no video,
just
> one long beep at startup. Where on the motherboard is the model number
> located? Try as I may, I can't find out which motherboard this is.
>

> --
> Xmdhobbs@qwest.net
> Remove X's to reply
> Michael Hobbs
> Minneapolis, Minnesota

May 14, 2005 3:50:14 AM

In article <Pc7he.29$V51.1343@news.uswest.net>, "Michael Hobbs"
<mdhobbs@qwest.net> wrote:

> I am trying to diagnose the problems with a computer that has no video, just
> one long beep at startup. Where on the motherboard is the model number
> located? Try as I may, I can't find out which motherboard this is.

On Asus motherboards, you'll see the model number in
white text (i.e. it is silk screened onto the board).

There are some brands of motherboards, where there are
in fact, no identifying marks whatsoever. That led to
this web site - the "PCchips lottery" site. Lottery,
as in "good luck figuring out what you've got".

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142/pcchips/

Somewhere in the BIOS code, there is an identification string.
If you cannot get the board to run, it'll be pretty difficult
to get at that info.

Some people advocate the use of the FCC ID string, but when
I went looking for that on a previous occasions, I could not
find an example.

Paul
!