want to install modem type "parallel cable between two com..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between two
computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without listing
any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager. i've
tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports) and
they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so i
can't user DCC.)
thanks for your help,

gary

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

    What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If you're trying to
    connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired (laplink type) cable. If
    you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a null modem cable
    or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying to establish the
    connection? With what software or commands?
    --

    "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between
    > two
    > computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without listing
    > any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager. i've
    > tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports)
    > and
    > they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
    > parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so i
    > can't user DCC.)
    > thanks for your help,
    >
    > gary
    >
    > --
    > Gary Roach
    > ADB Services

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Get an Ethernet cross-over cable and connect the NICs or get
    a cross-over USB. In either case use the XP wizard to setup
    your connection.
    "GTS" <x> wrote in message
    | What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If
    you're trying to
    | connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired
    (laplink type) cable. If
    | you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a
    null modem cable
    | or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying
    to establish the
    | connection? With what software or commands?
    | --
    |
    | "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    | > I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type
    "parallel cable between
    | > two
    | > computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected
    ports" without listing
    | > any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the
    device manager. i've
    | > tried this on other computers as well (all of which have
    parallel ports)
    | > and
    | > they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i
    have to have the
    | > parallel connection appear as a modem for some other
    software to work so i
    | > can't user DCC.)
    | > thanks for your help,
    | >
    | > gary
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gary Roach
    | > ADB Services

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and modem
    options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i will
    select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
    computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of "selected
    ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23$e4vGXjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If you're trying to
    > connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired (laplink type) cable.
    If
    > you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a null modem
    cable
    > or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying to establish the
    > connection? With what software or commands?
    > --
    >
    > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between
    > > two
    > > computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without
    listing
    > > any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager.
    i've
    > > tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports)
    > > and
    > > they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
    > > parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so
    > > can't user DCC.)
    > > thanks for your help,
    > >
    > > gary
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary Roach
    > > ADB Services

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
    and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.

    Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of the
    Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list of
    connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
    for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
    ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
    Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of devices
    includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
    installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with null
    modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
    system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer with
    a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."

    --

    > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and modem
    > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i will
    > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
    > computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
    > "selected
    > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
    >
    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23$e4vGXjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem type
    called "parallel cable between two
    computers".

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
    > and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
    >
    > Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    > "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of the
    > Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
    of
    > connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
    > for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
    > ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
    > Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
    devices
    > includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
    > installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
    null
    > modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
    > system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
    with
    > a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and
    modem
    > > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i
    will
    > > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
    > > computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
    > > "selected
    > > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
    > >
    > > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
    56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't already
    have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
    cross-over cable.

    Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
    cable and modem $100?

    | that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to
    install a modem type
    | called "parallel cable between two
    | computers".
    |
    | "GTS" <x> wrote in message
    | > I just tried adding "parallel cable between two
    computers" on my machine,
    | > and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
    | >
    | > Are you logged in as administrator? I found this
    reference in

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

    | > "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator
    or a member of the
    | > Administrators group when you create a direct
    connection, you see a list
    | of
    | > connection devices to choose from that includes all of
    the parallel ports
    | > for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and
    enabled, and COM
    | > ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a
    member of the
    | > Administrators group and you create a direct connection,
    the list of
    | devices
    | > includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared
    ports that are
    | > installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are
    configured with
    | null
    | > modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct
    connection, ask your
    | > system administrator to configure one of the COM ports
    on your computer
    | with
    | > a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool
    in Control Panel."

    | > --
    | >
    | > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    | > > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of
    the "phone and
    | modem
    | > > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't
    detect my modem, i
    | will
    | > > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel
    cable between two
    | > > computers" from the "standard modem types". it
    presents a list of
    | > > "selected
    | > > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
    | > >
    | > > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I realize that. Don't be misled by the title. The port set up issue is
    equally applicable to what your trying.
    --

    "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    > that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem
    > type
    > called "parallel cable between two
    > computers".
    >
    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >> I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
    >> and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
    >>
    >> Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
    >>
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp
    >>
    >> "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of
    >> the
    >> Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
    > of
    >> connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
    >> for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
    >> ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
    >> Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
    > devices
    >> includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
    >> installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
    > null
    >> modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
    >> system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
    > with
    >> a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and
    > modem
    >> > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i
    > will
    >> > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
    >> > computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
    >> > "selected
    >> > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
    >> >
    >> > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for file transfer,
    couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have the parallel
    connection appear as a modem for some other software to work." Without
    knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's no basis to assume
    it would work on an Ethernet connection?

    > Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
    > 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't already
    > have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
    > cross-over cable.
    >
    > Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
    > cable and modem $100?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    That is true, but there may not be any reason why it would
    not work. If the OP would report exactly what software he
    needs to use he would get a better answer.

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message
    | If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for
    file transfer,
    | couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have
    the parallel
    | connection appear as a modem for some other software to
    work." Without
    | knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's
    no basis to assume
    | it would work on an Ethernet connection?
    | --

    in message
    | > Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
    | > 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't
    already
    | > have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
    | > cross-over cable.
    | >
    | > Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
    | > cable and modem $100?
    | >

    | > --

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    actually i'm using server 2003 - i posted here because it appears to be the
    same with xp and nobody ever responds on the "server" groups. i'm using the
    routing and remote access functionality of the OS to configure demand
    dialing. i've got it to work with a real modem but i don't really want to
    dial out to an isp. i want to connect to another machine via a direct cable
    and have it appear as a modem. i have to use a parallel connection because
    the serial ports on one of my machines don't work properly under windows
    (i'm told i need a bios upgrade) but the parallel port does work. it seems
    like the capability i want exists because of the entry "parallel cable
    between two computers" in the modem list. seems strange that no "selected
    ports" appear in the list. i've tried this on several server 2003 and xp
    machines and the result is always the same. however, when i tried it on one
    of the same machines under 98se, i got the parallel ports in the list.

    > That is true, but there may not be any reason why it would
    > not work. If the OP would report exactly what software he
    > needs to use he would get a better answer.

    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message
    > | If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for
    > file transfer,
    > | couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have
    > the parallel
    > | connection appear as a modem for some other software to
    > work." Without
    > | knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's
    > no basis to assume
    > | it would work on an Ethernet connection?
    > | --
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
    > | > 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't
    > already
    > | > have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
    > | > cross-over cable.
    > | >
    > | > Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
    > | > cable and modem $100?
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I think XP does not support the direct control of hardware
    that you want, don't know about Server 2003. You may need a
    smart modem or some third-party software.

    | actually i'm using server 2003 - i posted here because it
    appears to be the
    | same with xp and nobody ever responds on the "server"
    groups. i'm using the
    | routing and remote access functionality of the OS to
    configure demand
    | dialing. i've got it to work with a real modem but i don't
    really want to
    | dial out to an isp. i want to connect to another machine
    via a direct cable
    | and have it appear as a modem. i have to use a parallel
    connection because
    | the serial ports on one of my machines don't work properly
    under windows
    | (i'm told i need a bios upgrade) but the parallel port
    does work. it seems
    | like the capability i want exists because of the entry
    "parallel cable
    | between two computers" in the modem list. seems strange
    that no "selected
    | ports" appear in the list. i've tried this on several
    server 2003 and xp
    | machines and the result is always the same. however, when
    i tried it on one
    | of the same machines under 98se, i got the parallel ports
    in the list.

    in message
    | > That is true, but there may not be any reason why it
    would
    | > not work. If the OP would report exactly what software
    he
    | > needs to use he would get a better answer.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "GTS" <x> wrote in message
    | > | If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers
    for
    | > file transfer,
    | > | couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to
    have
    | > the parallel
    | > | connection appear as a modem for some other software
    | > work." Without
    | > | knowing the nature and purpose of that software,
    there's
    | > no basis to assume
    | > | it would work on an Ethernet connection?
    | > | --
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message
    | > already

    parallel

    overcome.

    | > |

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    yes - i am logged in as a member of the administrators group. i also get the
    com ports if i try to install "communications cable between two computers".
    i've never seen a system for which the list has any entries in it when i try
    to install a "parallel cable between two computers" modem. I've tried
    several XP systems and two server 2003 systems. I'm going to try windows
    server 2000 next.

    "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uR1pj7jjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >I realize that. Don't be misled by the title. The port set up issue is
    >equally applicable to what your trying.
    > --
    >
    > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem
    >> type
    >> called "parallel cable between two
    >> computers".
    >>
    >> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >>> I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my
    >>> machine,
    >>> and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
    >>>
    >>> Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
    >>>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp
    >>>
    >>> "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of
    >>> the
    >>> Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
    >> of
    >>> connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel
    >>> ports
    >>> for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
    >>> ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
    >>> Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
    >> devices
    >>> includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
    >>> installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
    >> null
    >>> modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
    >>> system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
    >> with
    >>> a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control
    >>> Panel."
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >> modem
    >> will

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Good luck, I don't have any more ideas on this.
    --

    > yes - i am logged in as a member of the administrators group. i also get
    > the com ports if i try to install "communications cable between two
    > computers". i've never seen a system for which the list has any entries in
    > it when i try to install a "parallel cable between two computers" modem.
    > I've tried several XP systems and two server 2003 systems. I'm going to
    > try windows server 2000 next.
    >
    > "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uR1pj7jjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >>I realize that. Don't be misled by the title. The port set up issue is
    >>equally applicable to what your trying.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
    >>> that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem
    >>> type
    >>> called "parallel cable between two
    >>> computers".

    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp