want to install modem type "parallel cable between two com..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between two
computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without listing
any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager. i've
tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports) and
they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so i
can't user DCC.)
thanks for your help,

gary

--
Gary Roach
ADB Services

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If you're trying to
connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired (laplink type) cable. If
you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a null modem cable
or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying to establish the
connection? With what software or commands?
--

"Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between
> two
> computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without listing
> any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager. i've
> tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports)
> and
> they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
> parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so i
> can't user DCC.)
> thanks for your help,
>
> gary
>
> --
> Gary Roach
> ADB Services

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Get an Ethernet cross-over cable and connect the NICs or get
a cross-over USB. In either case use the XP wizard to setup
your connection.
"GTS" <x> wrote in message
| What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If
you're trying to
| connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired
(laplink type) cable. If
| you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a
null modem cable
| or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying
to establish the
| connection? With what software or commands?
| --
|
| "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
| > I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type
"parallel cable between
| > two
| > computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected
ports" without listing
| > any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the
device manager. i've
| > tried this on other computers as well (all of which have
parallel ports)
| > and
| > they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i
have to have the
| > parallel connection appear as a modem for some other
software to work so i
| > can't user DCC.)
| > thanks for your help,
| >
| > gary
| >
| > --
| > Gary Roach
| > ADB Services

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and modem
options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i will
select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of "selected
ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23$e4vGXjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean by a "modem type parallel cable." If you're trying to
> connect 2 parallel ports you need a properly wired (laplink type) cable.
If
> you're trying to connect 2 serial ports, you need to use a null modem
cable
> or adaptor. If you're not using DCC, how are you trying to establish the
> connection? With what software or commands?
> --
>
> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > I'm running XP pro. I want to install modem type "parallel cable between
> > two
> > computers", but it keeps prompting me for "selected ports" without
listing
> > any. i've got a parallel port. it even says so in the device manager.
i've
> > tried this on other computers as well (all of which have parallel ports)
> > and
> > they all do the same thing. how do i make this work? (i have to have the
> > parallel connection appear as a modem for some other software to work so
> > can't user DCC.)
> > thanks for your help,
> >
> > gary
> >
> > --
> > Gary Roach
> > ADB Services

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.

Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

"If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of the
Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list of
connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of devices
includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with null
modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer with
a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."

--

> I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and modem
> options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i will
> select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
> computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
> "selected
> ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:%23$e4vGXjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem type
called "parallel cable between two
computers".

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
> and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
>
> Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

> "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of the
> Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
of
> connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
> for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
> ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
> Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
devices
> includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
> installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
null
> modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
> system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
with
> a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."
>
> --
>
> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and
modem
> > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i
will
> > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
> > computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
> > "selected
> > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
> >
> > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't already
have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
cross-over cable.

Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
cable and modem $100?

| that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to
install a modem type
| called "parallel cable between two
| computers".
|
| "GTS" <x> wrote in message
| > I just tried adding "parallel cable between two
computers" on my machine,
| > and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
| >
| > Are you logged in as administrator? I found this
reference in

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp

| > "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator
or a member of the
| > Administrators group when you create a direct
connection, you see a list
| of
| > connection devices to choose from that includes all of
the parallel ports
| > for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and
enabled, and COM
| > ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a
member of the
| > Administrators group and you create a direct connection,
the list of
| devices
| > includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared
ports that are
| > installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are
configured with
| null
| > modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct
connection, ask your
| > system administrator to configure one of the COM ports
on your computer
| with
| > a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool
in Control Panel."

| > --
| >
| > "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
| > > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of
the "phone and
| modem
| > > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't
detect my modem, i
| will
| > > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel
cable between two
| > > computers" from the "standard modem types". it
presents a list of
| > > "selected
| > > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
| > >
| > > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I realize that. Don't be misled by the title. The port set up issue is
equally applicable to what your trying.
--

"Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem
> type
> called "parallel cable between two
> computers".
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my machine,
>> and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
>>
>> Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
>>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp
>>
>> "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of
>> the
>> Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
> of
>> connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel ports
>> for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
>> ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
>> Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
> devices
>> includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
>> installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
> null
>> modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
>> system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
> with
>> a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control Panel."
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> > I'm using the "Add" button from the " modems" tab of the "phone and
> modem
>> > options" applet in control panel. i select "don't detect my modem, i
> will
>> > select it from a list", and then i choose "parallel cable between two
>> > computers" from the "standard modem types". it presents a list of
>> > "selected
>> > ports" but it's empty. i can't go any further.
>> >
>> > "GTS" <x> wrote in message

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for file transfer,
couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have the parallel
connection appear as a modem for some other software to work." Without
knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's no basis to assume
it would work on an Ethernet connection?

> Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
> 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't already
> have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
> cross-over cable.
>
> Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
> cable and modem $100?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

That is true, but there may not be any reason why it would
not work. If the OP would report exactly what software he
needs to use he would get a better answer.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message
| If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for
file transfer,
| couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have
the parallel
| connection appear as a modem for some other software to
work." Without
| knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's
no basis to assume
| it would work on an Ethernet connection?
| --

in message
| > Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
| > 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't
already
| > have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
| > cross-over cable.
| >
| > Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
| > cable and modem $100?
| >

| > --

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

actually i'm using server 2003 - i posted here because it appears to be the
same with xp and nobody ever responds on the "server" groups. i'm using the
routing and remote access functionality of the OS to configure demand
dialing. i've got it to work with a real modem but i don't really want to
dial out to an isp. i want to connect to another machine via a direct cable
and have it appear as a modem. i have to use a parallel connection because
the serial ports on one of my machines don't work properly under windows
(i'm told i need a bios upgrade) but the parallel port does work. it seems
like the capability i want exists because of the entry "parallel cable
between two computers" in the modem list. seems strange that no "selected
ports" appear in the list. i've tried this on several server 2003 and xp
machines and the result is always the same. however, when i tried it on one
of the same machines under 98se, i got the parallel ports in the list.

> That is true, but there may not be any reason why it would
> not work. If the OP would report exactly what software he
> needs to use he would get a better answer.

> "GTS" <x> wrote in message
> | If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers for
> file transfer,
> | couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to have
> the parallel
> | connection appear as a modem for some other software to
> work." Without
> | knowing the nature and purpose of that software, there's
> no basis to assume
> | it would work on an Ethernet connection?
> | --
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > Your connection speed will be very slow, not more than
> | > 56,000 bits per second, if you install (if you don't
> already
> | > have) two 10/100 NICS you'll have up to 100 MB/sec on a
> | > cross-over cable.
> | >
> | > Cost of two NICs and a cable, $25-30. Cost of parallel
> | > cable and modem $100?
> | >

> | > --
> | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I think XP does not support the direct control of hardware
that you want, don't know about Server 2003. You may need a
smart modem or some third-party software.

| actually i'm using server 2003 - i posted here because it
appears to be the
| same with xp and nobody ever responds on the "server"
groups. i'm using the
| routing and remote access functionality of the OS to
configure demand
| dialing. i've got it to work with a real modem but i don't
really want to
| dial out to an isp. i want to connect to another machine
via a direct cable
| and have it appear as a modem. i have to use a parallel
connection because
| the serial ports on one of my machines don't work properly
under windows
| (i'm told i need a bios upgrade) but the parallel port
does work. it seems
| like the capability i want exists because of the entry
"parallel cable
| between two computers" in the modem list. seems strange
that no "selected
| ports" appear in the list. i've tried this on several
server 2003 and xp
| machines and the result is always the same. however, when
i tried it on one
| of the same machines under 98se, i got the parallel ports
in the list.

in message
| > That is true, but there may not be any reason why it
would
| > not work. If the OP would report exactly what software
he
| > needs to use he would get a better answer.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "GTS" <x> wrote in message
| > | If the issue were simply connecting the 2 computers
for
| > file transfer,
| > | couldn't agree more. However, the OP said "i have to
have
| > the parallel
| > | connection appear as a modem for some other software
| > work." Without
| > | knowing the nature and purpose of that software,
there's
| > no basis to assume
| > | it would work on an Ethernet connection?
| > | --
| > |
| > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| > in message
than
| > already
on a

parallel

rights;
overcome.

| > |

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

yes - i am logged in as a member of the administrators group. i also get the
com ports if i try to install "communications cable between two computers".
i've never seen a system for which the list has any entries in it when i try
to install a "parallel cable between two computers" modem. I've tried
several XP systems and two server 2003 systems. I'm going to try windows
server 2000 next.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uR1pj7jjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>I realize that. Don't be misled by the title. The port set up issue is
>equally applicable to what your trying.
> --
>
> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> that's for establishing a DCC connection. i'm trying to install a modem
>> type
>> called "parallel cable between two
>> computers".
>>
>> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:uZU2AufjEHA.396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> I just tried adding "parallel cable between two computers" on my
>>> machine,
>>> and I get the option to choose COM1 or COM2.
>>>
>>> Are you logged in as administrator? I found this reference in
>>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305621&Product=winxp
>>>
>>> "If you are logged on to your computer as Administrator or a member of
>>> the
>>> Administrators group when you create a direct connection, you see a list
>> of
>>> connection devices to choose from that includes all of the parallel
>>> ports
>>> for the computer, infrared ports that are installed and enabled, and COM
>>> ports. If you are logged on as a user who is not a member of the
>>> Administrators group and you create a direct connection, the list of
>> devices
>>> includes the parallel ports for the computer, infrared ports that are
>>> installed and enabled, and only the COM ports that are configured with
>> null
>>> modems. If you need to use a COM port for a direct connection, ask your
>>> system administrator to configure one of the COM ports on your computer
>> with
>>> a null modem by using the Phone and Modem Options tool in Control
>>> Panel."
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "Gary Roach" <jgroach@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> modem
>> will

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Good luck, I don't have any more ideas on this.