I am thinking of buying a system with the A8N-E motherboard. Has anyone got
any opinions on this board God or Bad

Thanks Don

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

I'm using it, have no problems and am very satisfied. Last I checked
newegg.com has it on sale for $125.
In my opinion, this board is good for the low to intermediate gamer and,
espcially, for a computer tech like myself.
This board overclocks well and with a BIOS update it would be ready for the
dual-cores.

HTH,
john
"Don Farrow" <ve3ulf@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am thinking of buying a system with the A8N-E motherboard. Has anyone got
>any opinions on this board God or Bad
>
> Thanks Don

"Don Farrow" <ve3ulf@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>I am thinking of buying a system with the A8N-E motherboard. Has anyone got
>any opinions on this board God or Bad
>
> Thanks Don
I am very satisfied with mine. Note that I replaced the chipset cooler
(never tried it without).

Antec 3700-BQE w/Nexus 120 @12V, Seasonic S12-380, Asus A8N-E w/ ZM-NB47J
chip cooler, AMD64 3500+ .90 w/XP-120 & Nexus 120 @12V, 1GB (2 x 512)
Corsair 3200C2PT, 2 x WD 160 GB SATA, Plextor PX-716A, Leadtek 6600GT
w/Zalman VF700 AlCu @5V, Audigy2 ZS, AcoustiPack Std.

What is wrong with the chip set cooler that comes with the board.

Don

> What is wrong with the chip set cooler that comes with the board.
>
> Don

It is very noisy. Actually, the actual heat sink is minuscule (not counting
the fan) and the fan must therefore run at very high speeds which makes a
loud noise. So with the much larger Zalman passive heatsink, I still get
better cooling.

My system sits underneath my work table and is only barely audible (only in
certain situations where the ambient noise level is extremely low).

>> What is wrong with the chip set cooler that comes with the board.
>>
>> Don
>>
> It is very noisy. Actually, the actual heat sink is minuscule (not
> counting the fan) and the fan must therefore run at very high speeds which
> makes a loud noise. So with the much larger Zalman passive heatsink, I
> still get better cooling.
>
> My system sits underneath my work table and is only barely audible (only
> in certain situations where the ambient noise level is extremely low).
Here is a pic of the Zalman chipset cooler installed on the A8N-E
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=65