ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe with XP-120 and VM-101 Heatpipe Coolers

I recently decided to change my cooling to heatpipes on an ASUS
P4P800-E Deluxe. I used the stock heatsink/fan for a while, which is
nice with the copper core, but at high cpu usage/temp the fan would
spin up to over 5000rpm. At least it was quiet at lower temps because
of the Q-Fan ability of these boards.

Next I tried one of the Kingwin AWC-1 water cooled setups that fits all
inside the case, using a 5.25" bay and a second radiator at the back of
the case. This cooled both the cpu and the video card well, but I
could only get it a few degrees below what the stock hsf provided. The
thin fan in the bay made some noise when it was turned up to the higher
speed setting, and the room it was in smelled like a radiator.

I changed to heatpipes after deciding that I didn't want water in my
computer for only a slight increase in performance. After reading
several reveiws I went with the Thermalright XP-120 and the Aerocool
VM-101, along with some RAM sinks for the video card. So far I am
satisfied with this cooling solution and was suprised that they both
fit on this ASUS board and in my Raidmax Scorpio case. The 120mm fan
on the hsf is quiet and moves a lot of air, and for the video card
there is a side case fan that pulls air to one side of the fins on the
VM-101, then one of the rear case fans is at the other end, making for
nice air flow. The front of the case has a couple quiet 80mm fans that
push air over a Raptor drive and a secondary IDE drive.

The CPU is a P4 2.8E Prescott, which I can OC to 3.6GHz and remain
stable. The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, so I cannot directly
measure the temp like you can on an XT card.

If anyone else out there is using the XP-120 can you let me know if it
was in a "new" condition when you received it? Mine was obviously used
before, but the place I got it told me that they have other "new"
XP-120s in the same condition. I don't care if it was used, but it was
sold to me as new, and had small nicks, slight scorch marks, finger
prints, and thermal paste residue in the shape of a processor around
the bottom of it. I was expecting the bottom to be nice and clean, and
maybe even have a thin protective film on it.

I have pics of it if anyone wants to see, and pics of how the XP-120
and VM-101 both fit onto this ASUS board.

--Bratch

On 13 May 2005 20:54:05 -0700, "Bratch" <bratch@gmail.com> wrote:

>I recently decided to change my cooling to heatpipes on an ASUS
>P4P800-E Deluxe. I used the stock heatsink/fan for a while, which is
>nice with the copper core, but at high cpu usage/temp the fan would
>spin up to over 5000rpm. At least it was quiet at lower temps because
>of the Q-Fan ability of these boards.
>
>Next I tried one of the Kingwin AWC-1 water cooled setups that fits all
>inside the case, using a 5.25" bay and a second radiator at the back of
>the case. This cooled both the cpu and the video card well, but I
>could only get it a few degrees below what the stock hsf provided. The
>thin fan in the bay made some noise when it was turned up to the higher
>speed setting, and the room it was in smelled like a radiator.
>
>I changed to heatpipes after deciding that I didn't want water in my
>computer for only a slight increase in performance. After reading
>several reveiws I went with the Thermalright XP-120 and the Aerocool
>VM-101, along with some RAM sinks for the video card. So far I am
>satisfied with this cooling solution and was suprised that they both
>fit on this ASUS board and in my Raidmax Scorpio case. The 120mm fan
>on the hsf is quiet and moves a lot of air, and for the video card
>there is a side case fan that pulls air to one side of the fins on the
>VM-101, then one of the rear case fans is at the other end, making for
>nice air flow. The front of the case has a couple quiet 80mm fans that
>push air over a Raptor drive and a secondary IDE drive.
>
>The CPU is a P4 2.8E Prescott, which I can OC to 3.6GHz and remain
>stable. The video card is a Radeon 9800 Pro, so I cannot directly
>measure the temp like you can on an XT card.
>
>If anyone else out there is using the XP-120 can you let me know if it
>was in a "new" condition when you received it? Mine was obviously used
>before, but the place I got it told me that they have other "new"
>XP-120s in the same condition. I don't care if it was used, but it was
>sold to me as new, and had small nicks, slight scorch marks, finger
>prints, and thermal paste residue in the shape of a processor around
>the bottom of it. I was expecting the bottom to be nice and clean, and
>maybe even have a thin protective film on it.
>
>I have pics of it if anyone wants to see, and pics of how the XP-120
>and VM-101 both fit onto this ASUS board.
>
>--Bratch

I use an XP-120 cooler on my Asus P4C-800E Deluxe MB. Bought it from
CoolerGuys, and it was brand new.

It cools far better than the stock cooler that came with my Prescott
3.2 GHz. No overclocking.

--
Ted

Yeah, the XP-120 I received was obviously used. Case-mod.com said that
they had others in stock that were similar to mine. I'm not sure if
that means that they didn't re-package it after being returned, or if
they are saying that they received it like that. I doubt that
Thermalright would ship an item in the condition I received it. It was
easy to clean off the surface, which made me wonder more about it.

I've pushed it and got it to go up to 55C but it normally stays in the
low or mid 40s. I have it blowing down onto the cpu so the mobo is in
the mid or high 30s most of the time. I might try reversing it or
replacing it with a better 120mm fan, since the one I am using was
salvaged from an older Gateway AMD 700 case.

Bratch