P5AD2-E Premium waits LONG time at IT8212 BIOS screen.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a
very long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A
dvd-rw connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a
Sony dw-d26a connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives).
System waits about 20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way
to speed this up? Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
Thank you.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a very
>long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A dvd-rw
>connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a Sony dw-d26a
>connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives). System waits about
>20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way to speed this up?
>Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
> Thank you.

Curiously, I originally had this problem too. I had my hard drives connected
to the primary IDE controller (the blue one) and my Philips DVDRW824 to the
ITE8212 (red connector), and it took about this time to "scan" the bus.
However, it then (after scanning the SIL3114 bus (empty, in my case))
reported "Third master: ATAPI Incompatible" and wouldn't budge until I'd
pressed F1. I had some minor problems with the DVD, so switched them around
(I now have the Philips on the Primary, and the two hard drives on the
ITE8212 (red connector)). It now takes approx 1 second to scan the bus.
However, it STILL reports ATAPI Incompatible on third master, and I still
have to press F1 to continue. I've Googled for this, but can't find any
hits. Any ideas, anyone?

P4 550 (3.4 Ghz), 2x1 Gig Kingston Valueram, 6600GT, Arctic Cooling Freezer
7 - This is a great cooler, by the way.

Steve.

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:44:45 -0400, user@domain.invalid wrote:

>I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a
>very long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A
>dvd-rw connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a
>Sony dw-d26a connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives).
>System waits about 20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way
>to speed this up? Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
>Thank you.

Boot to BIOS, then select:
Advanced --> Onboard Devices Configuration --> Detecting Device Time
--> Quick Mode

Save and reboot.

Stevem

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2004

"stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message

> <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a
>>very long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A dvd-rw
>>connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a Sony dw-d26a
>>connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives). System waits about
>>20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way to speed this up?
>>Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
>> Thank you.
>
> Curiously, I originally had this problem too. I had my hard drives
> connected to the primary IDE controller (the blue one) and my Philips
> DVDRW824 to the ITE8212 (red connector), and it took about this time to
> "scan" the bus. However, it then (after scanning the SIL3114 bus (empty,
> in my case)) reported "Third master: ATAPI Incompatible" and wouldn't
> budge until I'd pressed F1. I had some minor problems with the DVD, so
> switched them around (I now have the Philips on the Primary, and the two
> hard drives on the ITE8212 (red connector)). It now takes approx 1 second
> to scan the bus. However, it STILL reports ATAPI Incompatible on third
> master, and I still have to press F1 to continue. I've Googled for this,
> but can't find any hits. Any ideas, anyone?
>
> P4 550 (3.4 Ghz), 2x1 Gig Kingston Valueram, 6600GT, Arctic Cooling
> Freezer 7 - This is a great cooler, by the way.
>
> Steve.

Umm - I feel a bit silly on this - but I'm claiming lack of familiarity with
the AMI BIOS! (I've been dealing with PCs for over twenty years, both
professionally and at home, and this is the first AMI BIOS I've ever had to
deal with - not deliberate, just pure chance). Anyway, went back into the
BIOS, and discovered the third master was set to CDROM. I presume I set it
that way when I had the Philips on it - the manual does actually say you
should do this if you are configuring a CDROM, but perhaps a DVDRW is not
'seen' the same way? Anyway, set it to Auto, and my 'ATAPI Incompatible'
problem has now gone.
As far as the delay is concerned, while I agree with Norman that Onboard
Devices Configuration > ITE8212F Controller > Detecting Device Time should
be set to Quick Mode, this is in any event the default; given my original
experience, could it be that this delay will happen if there's only an ATAPI
device there? My delay vanished when I put my hard drives on it.

Steve.

karl

Thanks for the replies. I did confirm that Onboard Dev Config > IT8212F
Contr> Detecting Device Time> =[Quick Mode] but it did not help.
Apparently this ITE Controller only likes harddrives. I do notice that
on first boot screen, I have Primary, Third, & Fourth listed but no
Secondary. Whats up with that? I plan to move the NEC dvd onto the
primary blue IDE cable as "slave" altho I'll have to get a long cable as
optical drives are mounted side-by-side (in htpc case).

Steve, I have the AC Freezer 7 too, & Yes its a great cooler! quiet too.
3.4GHz chip idles around 38 deg C.
Karl

stevem wrote:
> "stevem" <nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>
>><user@domain.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a
>>>very long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A dvd-rw
>>>connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a Sony dw-d26a
>>>connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives). System waits about
>>>20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way to speed this up?
>>>Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
>>>Thank you.
>>
>>Curiously, I originally had this problem too. I had my hard drives
>>connected to the primary IDE controller (the blue one) and my Philips
>>DVDRW824 to the ITE8212 (red connector), and it took about this time to
>>"scan" the bus. However, it then (after scanning the SIL3114 bus (empty,
>>in my case)) reported "Third master: ATAPI Incompatible" and wouldn't
>>budge until I'd pressed F1. I had some minor problems with the DVD, so
>>switched them around (I now have the Philips on the Primary, and the two
>>hard drives on the ITE8212 (red connector)). It now takes approx 1 second
>>to scan the bus. However, it STILL reports ATAPI Incompatible on third
>>master, and I still have to press F1 to continue. I've Googled for this,
>>but can't find any hits. Any ideas, anyone?
>>
>>P4 550 (3.4 Ghz), 2x1 Gig Kingston Valueram, 6600GT, Arctic Cooling
>>Freezer 7 - This is a great cooler, by the way.
>>
>>Steve.
>>

> Umm - I feel a bit silly on this - but I'm claiming lack of familiarity with
> the AMI BIOS! (I've been dealing with PCs for over twenty years, both
> professionally and at home, and this is the first AMI BIOS I've ever had to
> deal with - not deliberate, just pure chance). Anyway, went back into the
> BIOS, and discovered the third master was set to CDROM. I presume I set it
> that way when I had the Philips on it - the manual does actually say you
> should do this if you are configuring a CDROM, but perhaps a DVDRW is not
> 'seen' the same way? Anyway, set it to Auto, and my 'ATAPI Incompatible'
> problem has now gone.
> As far as the delay is concerned, while I agree with Norman that Onboard
> Devices Configuration > ITE8212F Controller > Detecting Device Time should
> be set to Quick Mode, this is in any event the default; given my original
> experience, could it be that this delay will happen if there's only an ATAPI
> device there? My delay vanished when I put my hard drives on it.
>
> Steve.

>I set-up this board with latest BIOS v1005. At boot-up, system waits a
>very long time at the IT8212 BIOS screen. It sees the NEC ND-3520A
>dvd-rw connected to the red primary connector as "master." I have a
>Sony dw-d26a connected to blue IDE controller (+ 2 SATA harddrives).
>System waits about 20 seconds at this detect screen. Is there any way
>to speed this up? Changing the IDE time in BIOS has been no help.
>Thank you.

sorry for digging up this thread from the stone ages (May) but I have
the same problem and it's very annoying. for me it even happens when i
disconnect all drives from the ITE ports and it takes over a minute!

did anyone find a solution for this? because if there is no solution
i'm thinking about getting rid of this board and getting the gigabyte
955 royal board.

Sarcastic

I run my Plextor CDRW off the IT controller with no problems. It has to do with jumper settings. If you only have one device plugged into the IDE chanel simply remove the Jumper on the back of the device. If you are running 2 make sure you have them set master and slave not CS (Cable Select) That will elimanate your hangs at that screen.