XP Pro wont "repair" after installing new hardware

Robert

I have upgraded my PC by changing the mobo, processor,
memory and graphics card. I have used my old HD which has
a copy of XP Pro loaded. It said I needed to repair XP
and now it keeps getting to the installing devices screen
gets about 75% through then reboots, restarts setup and
starts from the installing new devices screeen again.....
This loops continually without making any further
progress, any ideas?

The new hardware is:

Intel 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
Asus P4P800 SE MOBO
512K of Dual channel DDR
GeForce FX5700LE 256Mb TD Graphics Card
..

What was your old hardware configuratio?
Are you using Prescott CPU and is your motherboard running the latest BIOS?

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my PC by changing the mobo, processor,
> memory and graphics card. I have used my old HD which has
> a copy of XP Pro loaded. It said I needed to repair XP
> and now it keeps getting to the installing devices screen
> gets about 75% through then reboots, restarts setup and
> starts from the installing new devices screeen again.....
> This loops continually without making any further
> progress, any ideas?
>
> The new hardware is:
>
> Intel 3.0Ghz 800 FSB
> Asus P4P800 SE MOBO
> 512K of Dual channel DDR
> GeForce FX5700LE 256Mb TD Graphics Card
> .

Robert

Old Hardware was a MSI 645 E Max mobo with a 2Ghz P4 a
Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 sx graphics card a DLink PCI
network card (not needed on new mobo and a Creative labs
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card which will be used on
new computer (I have tried removing this and repair still
fails). I do not know what my cpu is just says Intel P4
3Ghz with 800 Mhz FSB (old one was only 266 Mhz FSB I
think)

Thanks for your interest in helping...

I would check Asus website and see if they have anything on your
motherboard. Service Pack 2 seems to have problem with Prescott CPUs on
certain boards if the BIOS is not updated. Looking at your old hardware,
repair should be possible. There is an Intel utility that you can download
to see if your CPU is being read correctly by the BIOS. Maybe one of the
others in this group can provide you the link.

> Old Hardware was a MSI 645 E Max mobo with a 2Ghz P4 a
> Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 sx graphics card a DLink PCI
> network card (not needed on new mobo and a Creative labs
> Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card which will be used on
> new computer (I have tried removing this and repair still
> fails). I do not know what my cpu is just says Intel P4
> 3Ghz with 800 Mhz FSB (old one was only 266 Mhz FSB I
> think)
>
> Thanks for your interest in helping...

Try running a memory diagnostic. Download "Memtest86+"
from http://www.memtest.org) and run it for a few cycles.
You should get zero errors.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

"Robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Old Hardware was a MSI 645 E Max mobo with a 2Ghz P4 a
> Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 sx graphics card a DLink PCI
> network card (not needed on new mobo and a Creative labs
> Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card which will be used on
> new computer (I have tried removing this and repair still
> fails). I do not know what my cpu is just says Intel P4
> 3Ghz with 800 Mhz FSB (old one was only 266 Mhz FSB I
> think)

What's the complete PROD CODE on the box your CPU
came in? It's about 20 characters and probably begins with
BX. We can use that code to see whether your processor
is a Prescott or not.

-- Bob Day