Bios: Hardware Monitor Found an Error

Hi -
I'm not comfortable with changing bios settings, but
that's what I see upon booting - when it shows the bios
screen. This has been appearing for months with no real
performance problems...and no error messages appear IN
windows, either.

I did look around at the hardware section and it seems
like my CPU temp. is awfully high - could that be the
problem?

- CPU fan speed: 3534 rpm
- System fan speed: 0 rpm
- CPU temperature: 94c / 201 f

Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be.

Any suggestions?
El
5 answers Last reply
More about bios hardware monitor found error

    "LJK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    > I'm not comfortable with changing bios settings, but
    > that's what I see upon booting - when it shows the bios
    > screen. This has been appearing for months with no real
    > performance problems...and no error messages appear IN
    > windows, either.
    >
    > I did look around at the hardware section and it seems
    > like my CPU temp. is awfully high - could that be the
    > problem?
    >
    > - CPU fan speed: 3534 rpm
    > - System fan speed: 0 rpm
    > - CPU temperature: 94c / 201 f
    >
    > Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > El

    Your CPU fan/heatsink needs to be checked.

    You'll need to remove your case cover to do this.

    Look for the heatsink fins to be all clogged up
    with dust, etc. and/or the fan to not be turning at all,
    even though the monitor says that it is.

    Or less likely, one of the clips holding the heatsink
    on has come off.

    Sounds like your CPU fan has failed.

    You may be about to fry your CPU..... Turn off the PC. Open the side case.
    Turn on the PC... if the CPU fan does not move, turn off the PC IMMEDIATELY.

    Replace the fan and/or heatsink. If you are unsure how to do this, get the
    PC to a tech who can replace it for you. A new fan and heatsink will cost
    anywhere from $9 to $50 (depending on what manufacturer and CPU and how
    efficient you want it to be). It's a LOT cheaper than replacing a CPU.
    www.coribright.com

    "LJK" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi -
    > I'm not comfortable with changing bios settings, but
    > that's what I see upon booting - when it shows the bios
    > screen. This has been appearing for months with no real
    > performance problems...and no error messages appear IN
    > windows, either.
    >
    > I did look around at the hardware section and it seems
    > like my CPU temp. is awfully high - could that be the
    > problem?
    >
    > - CPU fan speed: 3534 rpm
    > - System fan speed: 0 rpm
    > - CPU temperature: 94c / 201 f
    >
    > Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > El

    That, and I'm not too sure about any processors surviving at that high
    of a temperature. I am wondering if there may be a sensor that is
    reporting incorrect values. If the fan is spinning fine and the
    heatsink looks like it is attached well, put your hand in front of the
    fan and see how hot the air is coming off it. You should be able to
    gauge how hot it is and if the heatsink and fan are doing their job.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Sounds like your CPU fan has failed.
    >
    > You may be about to fry your CPU..... Turn off the PC. Open the side case.
    > Turn on the PC... if the CPU fan does not move, turn off the PC IMMEDIATELY.
    >
    > Replace the fan and/or heatsink. If you are unsure how to do this, get the
    > PC to a tech who can replace it for you. A new fan and heatsink will cost
    > anywhere from $9 to $50 (depending on what manufacturer and CPU and how
    > efficient you want it to be). It's a LOT cheaper than replacing a CPU.

    Hi -
    Thinking that this suggestion is probably right on - since
    this HAS been going on for months...

    "I am wondering if there may be a sensor that is
    reporting incorrect values. If the fan is spinning fine
    and the heatsink looks like it is attached well, put your
    hand in front of the fan and see how hot the air is coming
    off it."
    >Nathan McNulty

    I'll call a technician to see if it's the sensor or not -
    but in a machine that's only about 9 months old, this seems
    odd!

    Thanks for your advice,
    El

    Yeah, at temps like that, any processor would most likely burn out. If
    it has been reporting temperatures this high for that long, there is no
    way your system could sustain that high of temperatures.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    LJK wrote:
    > Hi -
    > Thinking that this suggestion is probably right on - since
    > this HAS been going on for months...
    >
    > "I am wondering if there may be a sensor that is
    > reporting incorrect values. If the fan is spinning fine
    > and the heatsink looks like it is attached well, put your
    > hand in front of the fan and see how hot the air is coming
    > off it."
    >
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >

    > I'll call a technician to see if it's the sensor or not -
    > but in a machine that's only about 9 months old, this seems
    > odd!
    >
    > Thanks for your advice,
    > El

Hardware BIOS CPUs Windows XP