Fixed USB problems after Win XP SP2 upgrade

August 29, 2004 5:18:21 PM

It appears that many are having problems accessing USB
devices after installing SP2. I found absolutely no help
on this problem from Dell or from the Knowledge base.

The USB ports showed up OK in the device manager, but
they simply did not function. ANY device plugged into
them couldn't be accessed.

I found chipset updates on the Intel website (
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-
df/support_intel.asp ). I downloded the update for the
820 series chipset (it was not simple to determine which
set I had). To determine your chipset, you can look at
the hardware listings in the device manager, or check
with your manufacturer. Dell keeps a database of all of
the systems they sold, and their configurations. That
helped me.

The installation of the new drivers was painless and
qucik and after a reboot, everything came back on-line

Good Luck,
Mark
August 29, 2004 10:43:40 PM

Interesting... It used to be that most of the drivers for almost everything
was included with XP or at least, with the install of SP1 which provided
USB2.0 support.. Now you have to go back to searching and finding useable
drivers from manufacturers?
"Mark Dobbs" <jmdobbs88@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It appears that many are having problems accessing USB
> devices after installing SP2. I found absolutely no help
> on this problem from Dell or from the Knowledge base.
>
> The USB ports showed up OK in the device manager, but
> they simply did not function. ANY device plugged into
> them couldn't be accessed.
>
> I found chipset updates on the Intel website (
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-
> df/support_intel.asp ). I downloded the update for the
> 820 series chipset (it was not simple to determine which
> set I had). To determine your chipset, you can look at
> the hardware listings in the device manager, or check
> with your manufacturer. Dell keeps a database of all of
> the systems they sold, and their configurations. That
> helped me.
>
> The installation of the new drivers was painless and
> qucik and after a reboot, everything came back on-line
>
> Good Luck,
> Mark

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 7:34:07 PM

They generally are, but sometimes they end up almost as useful as the
ones on Windows Update.

Just a note to the original poster, Intel's INF Chipset Installers like
you downloaded are all in one file. Basically, all of the drivers for
all of Intel's different chipsets are included in the file you
downloaded. It isn't really necessary to know which chipset you have as
simply navigating to one will net you the INF Installer :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Sandman wrote:
> Interesting... It used to be that most of the drivers for almost everything
> was included with XP or at least, with the install of SP1 which provided
> USB2.0 support.. Now you have to go back to searching and finding useable
> drivers from manufacturers?
> "Mark Dobbs" <jmdobbs88@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>It appears that many are having problems accessing USB
>>devices after installing SP2. I found absolutely no help
>>on this problem from Dell or from the Knowledge base.
>>
>>The USB ports showed up OK in the device manager, but
>>they simply did not function. ANY device plugged into
>>them couldn't be accessed.
>>
>>I found chipset updates on the Intel website (
>>http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-
>>df/support_intel.asp ). I downloded the update for the
>>820 series chipset (it was not simple to determine which
>>set I had). To determine your chipset, you can look at
>>the hardware listings in the device manager, or check
>>with your manufacturer. Dell keeps a database of all of
>>the systems they sold, and their configurations. That
>>helped me.
>>
>>The installation of the new drivers was painless and
>>qucik and after a reboot, everything came back on-line
>>
>>Good Luck,
>>Mark

November 21, 2008 11:32:02 PM

:bounce:  I would like to let those fellow sufferers of USB not recognising USB conections to try the link post earlier direct to INTEL. I follwoed this link and their help is amazing, I too did not know my Chipset, but you can download a tool that will tell which one your system uses. Return to the site and the options are there!! Hey presto, after 5 days of heartache and 15 mins reading this thread and following it my system is running full steam ahead and all USB ports in good working order. TRY IT :pt1cable:
The Oracle :non:  :bounce:
!