Cannot acquire IP address on router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2005 6:15:01 PM

This question has probably been asked before but I need some advice.

We have a Dell tower that connects through a Linksys USB adapter to a
Linksys 802.11g router. I know if can see the router but when it tries to
acquire an IP address it fails. It ends up assigning a windows default
address.

Any thoughts? We did all the normal first step stuff like virus scans,
adware scans, etcs.

More about : acquire address router

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 3:05:37 PM

Ensure that your router is set up to use DHCP and then:
Try a release and renew of IP addresses.
Assuming you're running XP, go to start/run type in cmd and hit enter.
At the prompt type ipconfig /release (note space) and hit enter
Then type ipconfig /renew (note space) and hit enter.

then try again.

"blkane" <blkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This question has probably been asked before but I need some advice.
>
> We have a Dell tower that connects through a Linksys USB adapter to a
> Linksys 802.11g router. I know if can see the router but when it tries to
> acquire an IP address it fails. It ends up assigning a windows default
> address.
>
> Any thoughts? We did all the normal first step stuff like virus scans,
> adware scans, etcs.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:39:02 AM

I had this problem at first on my Linksys setup, but assigned a static IP to
the system connecting to the router and it now works fine. The DHCP didn't
work with my router to my wireless laptop. It worked when I used no or low
security but that's not good enough. The renewing/releasing IP address didn't
solve my issue, but maybe it will work on yours.

!