Cannot acquire IP address on router

This question has probably been asked before but I need some advice.

We have a Dell tower that connects through a Linksys USB adapter to a
Linksys 802.11g router. I know if can see the router but when it tries to
acquire an IP address it fails. It ends up assigning a windows default
address.

Any thoughts? We did all the normal first step stuff like virus scans,
adware scans, etcs.
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot acquire address router

    Ensure that your router is set up to use DHCP and then:
    Try a release and renew of IP addresses.
    Assuming you're running XP, go to start/run type in cmd and hit enter.
    At the prompt type ipconfig /release (note space) and hit enter
    Then type ipconfig /renew (note space) and hit enter.

    then try again.

    "blkane" <blkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This question has probably been asked before but I need some advice.
    >
    > We have a Dell tower that connects through a Linksys USB adapter to a
    > Linksys 802.11g router. I know if can see the router but when it tries to
    > acquire an IP address it fails. It ends up assigning a windows default
    > address.
    >
    > Any thoughts? We did all the normal first step stuff like virus scans,
    > adware scans, etcs.

    I had this problem at first on my Linksys setup, but assigned a static IP to
    the system connecting to the router and it now works fine. The DHCP didn't
    work with my router to my wireless laptop. It worked when I used no or low
    security but that's not good enough. The renewing/releasing IP address didn't
    solve my issue, but maybe it will work on yours.

    "Alan White" wrote:

    > Ensure that your router is set up to use DHCP and then:
    > Try a release and renew of IP addresses.
    > Assuming you're running XP, go to start/run type in cmd and hit enter.
    > At the prompt type ipconfig /release (note space) and hit enter
    > Then type ipconfig /renew (note space) and hit enter.
    >
    > then try again.
    >

    > "blkane" <blkane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > This question has probably been asked before but I need some advice.
    > >
    > > We have a Dell tower that connects through a Linksys USB adapter to a
    > > Linksys 802.11g router. I know if can see the router but when it tries to
    > > acquire an IP address it fails. It ends up assigning a windows default
    > > address.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? We did all the normal first step stuff like virus scans,
    > > adware scans, etcs.

Routers IP Address Wireless Networking