A8N-E Chipset Fan Problem

I ordered my first 64-bit system about 3 weeks ago from NewEgg. I got the
A8N-E and while I am happy with the performance, I have to wonder about the
nvidia chipset fan. Small and cheap.

Last week when I rebooted, the chipset fan started making an horrible sound.

I had to reboot several times before it started spinning consistently. It
seems to be fine as long as I leave the system running.

I called Asus today and they are sending me what they described as the new
model fan.

Anyone have this replacment fan and know if it is quieter? The little
8000RPM fan is extremely loud. I hear it over the 10k RPM SATA drive.

I was curious if this is a good fix or maybe I should look into a heak sink
or some sort of passive cooling system for this little cheesy fan.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks,

FF

"ff" <ff@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I ordered my first 64-bit system about 3 weeks ago from NewEgg. I got the
>A8N-E and while I am happy with the performance, I have to wonder about the
>nvidia chipset fan. Small and cheap.
>
> Last week when I rebooted, the chipset fan started making an horrible
> sound.
>
> I had to reboot several times before it started spinning consistently. It
> seems to be fine as long as I leave the system running.
>
> I called Asus today and they are sending me what they described as the new
> model fan.
>
> Anyone have this replacment fan and know if it is quieter? The little
> 8000RPM fan is extremely loud. I hear it over the 10k RPM SATA drive.
>
> I was curious if this is a good fix or maybe I should look into a heak
> sink or some sort of passive cooling system for this little cheesy fan.
>
> Any similar experiences?
>
> Thanks,
>
> FF
Before even trying the OEM HSF, I replaced mine with a Zalman ZM-NB47J. I
hooked up a 80 low speed Panaflo fan running at 5V attached to the drive
cage with zip ties (between drive cage and mb) to blow some light air on the
heat sink. Replacing the OEM chipset HSF is a common practice.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19902&start=65