P5GPL, Windows XP sluggish

Not sure if it mobo related, but when I open any app, there is a delay
before anything happens. I've removed all the unnecessary startup apps from
the registry HKLM......run (lots of extra audio tools I don't need) and
removed stuff from startup that isn't necessary. I disabled the LAN to see
if that helps. After all of this, it is still sluggish. performance seems
fine one the application is open. I just built it and it hasn't been on the
Web, just Windows updates, so no spyware yet.

It has Windows XP sp2 with latest updates, 3.4GB P4, 2 GB mem. SATA 120GB
HDD.
Any ideas as to what I should investigate next? I need to get this box into
production by Monday!

Thanks, -S

SimonLW schrieb:

> Not sure if it mobo related, but when I open any app, there is a delay
> before anything happens. I've removed all the unnecessary startup apps from
> the registry HKLM......run (lots of extra audio tools I don't need) and
> removed stuff from startup that isn't necessary. I disabled the LAN to see
> if that helps. After all of this, it is still sluggish. performance seems
> fine one the application is open. I just built it and it hasn't been on the
> Web, just Windows updates, so no spyware yet.
>
> It has Windows XP sp2 with latest updates, 3.4GB P4, 2 GB mem. SATA 120GB
> HDD.
> Any ideas as to what I should investigate next?

Could be hard drive related. Run some brunch...err, benchmarks to verify
that burst data rate and STR are normal (HDTach should be fine). Make
sure the cable is seated properly, SATA connectors can be a bit SATAnic
in that regard ;). (Seriously, the fit can apparently vary from
perfectly fine to rather loose. You may not even see the problem, with
high error rates appearing nonetheless.)

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

TRENDING THREADS