A8N-E Update -- Fan went dead

3 weeks is the life of the Northbridge fan for my A8N-E.

I called ASUS yesterday and they will send me a new fan today.

However, I need my PC in the interim.

I grabbed a Zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink and then jerry-rigged (with twist ties)
a fan blowing at 4000rpms on the Zalman heatsink.

My question is How do I know if the chipset gets too hot? The Asus probe
doesnt monitor the chipset temp. Just the MB and CPU temps.

Thanks in advance,
FF

"ff" <ff@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>3 weeks is the life of the Northbridge fan for my A8N-E.
>
> I called ASUS yesterday and they will send me a new fan today.
>
> However, I need my PC in the interim.
>
> I grabbed a Zalman ZM-NB47J heatsink and then jerry-rigged (with twist
> ties) a fan blowing at 4000rpms on the Zalman heatsink.
>
> My question is How do I know if the chipset gets too hot? The Asus probe
> doesnt monitor the chipset temp. Just the MB and CPU temps.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> FF

You probably have much better cooling with the Zalman than before. If you
look at the old HSF and remove the fan, you can see that actual HS part is
minuscule (to avoid obstructing any really long adapter cards, I suppose).

Many people are running the Northbridge on nForce4 passively with a
ZM-NB47J. I have a low-speed (L1A) 80mm Panaflo running at 5V blowing some
air on mine, but I am sure it would work fine passively. I have seen some
people who put temp probes on their passive Zalman and the temps were in the
high 30's.

>> FF
>>
> You probably have much better cooling with the Zalman than before. If you
> look at the old HSF and remove the fan, you can see that actual HS part is
> minuscule (to avoid obstructing any really long adapter cards, I suppose).
>
> Many people are running the Northbridge on nForce4 passively with a
> ZM-NB47J. I have a low-speed (L1A) 80mm Panaflo running at 5V blowing some
> air on mine, but I am sure it would work fine passively. I have seen some
> people who put temp probes on their passive Zalman and the temps were in
> the high 30's.

Mark,

I actually do have a temp probe on my Antec case. I could put the probes in
the heatsink. Do you know what the normal acceptable temp range is for that
chipset?

>> FF
>>
> You probably have much better cooling with the Zalman than before. If you
> look at the old HSF and remove the fan, you can see that actual HS part is
> minuscule (to avoid obstructing any really long adapter cards, I suppose).
>
> Many people are running the Northbridge on nForce4 passively with a
> ZM-NB47J. I have a low-speed (L1A) 80mm Panaflo running at 5V blowing some
> air on mine, but I am sure it would work fine passively. I have seen some
> people who put temp probes on their passive Zalman and the temps were in
> the high 30's.

Mine is running consistently at 130 degrees or somewhere in the 50s in
Celsius.

I guess the question is what is too hot?

> Mine is running consistently at 130 degrees or somewhere in the 50s in
> Celsius.
>
> I guess the question is what is too hot?
>
> FF

I would contact Asus support to be certain. But I suspect that 130 F is
acceptable. It is certainly acceptable for CPU's (although most A64's run
cooler than that with a good HSF).

There are a bunch of people who replaced their nForce4 Northbridge with
passive HS's on http://forums.silentpcreview.com forums, and I have not
heard of anyone having a system problem because of high temps.

> I would contact Asus support to be certain. But I suspect that 130 F is
> acceptable. It is certainly acceptable for CPU's (although most A64's run
> cooler than that with a good HSF).
>
> There are a bunch of people who replaced their nForce4 Northbridge with
> passive HS's on http://forums.silentpcreview.com forums, and I have not
> heard of anyone having a system problem because of high temps.

I guess I am only concerned if it becomes a fire risk. I believe if it
consistently runs above 160F then this could be a feesable problem
especially if a cable or wire was touching the heatsink.

I just wish I knew what temp the chipset was running at with the defective
Asus fan.

Thanks,
FF

TRENDING THREADS