Netgear DG834G

I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless router and
am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to the internet. The
connection speed to the router seems fine, but when I start IE or Opera it's
just not sending or receiving any data. This happens often when I've left
the computer on standby for a while, come back and try to connect to the
internet. Only restarting the computer seems to solve it.

Any ideas?

Malke

Maxwell Hammer wrote:

> I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless
> router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to the
> internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but when I
> start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any data. This
> happens often when I've left the computer on standby for a while, come
> back and try to connect to the internet. Only restarting the computer
> seems to solve it.
>
> Any ideas?

If you have XP, go to the adapter's Properties (in Control
Panel>System>Device Manager) and look for a Power Management tab.
Uncheck the box allowing Windows to turn off the device when not in
use.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?

Bruce

"Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Maxwell Hammer wrote:
>
>> I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless
>> router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to the
>> internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but when I
>> start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any data. This
>> happens often when I've left the computer on standby for a while, come
>> back and try to connect to the internet. Only restarting the computer
>> seems to solve it.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> If you have XP, go to the adapter's Properties (in Control
> Panel>System>Device Manager) and look for a Power Management tab.
> Uncheck the box allowing Windows to turn off the device when not in
> use.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Maxwell Hammer wrote:

> Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?
>
> Bruce
>
> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Maxwell Hammer wrote:
>>
>>> I'm on Virgin.net broadband and I've just installed this wireless
>>> router and am finding that I'm intermittently unable to connect to
>>> the internet. The connection speed to the router seems fine, but
>>> when I start IE or Opera it's just not sending or receiving any
>>> data. This happens often when I've left the computer on standby for
>>> a while, come back and try to connect to the internet. Only
>>> restarting the computer seems to solve it.

Things to check:

1. Updates to firmware on the router from Netgear
2. Updates to drivers on the wireless adapter.
3. I'm not familiar with Virgin.net broadband - do they have any router
configuration how-to's on their website? Usually you don't have to do
anything special when you connect a router to your cable/dsl modem, but
it wouldn't hurt to check.
4. Is the cable/dsl modem connection good? Do you have a wired computer
connected to the router? Does it lose its connectivity also? If so,
perhaps the problem is with the modem or the router. Connect wired
directly to the modem - is connectivity good? If not, the modem should
be replaced. If the modem is fine, then if the wired connectivity to
the router is spotty, perhaps the router is bad.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

I'll check all these things. I have used Xbox live through a wired
connection and haven't noticed it losing connectivity. Mind you, I have
never lost connectivity on the wireless connection when I'm ALREADY
connected to the internet. It is only when I have put the computer into
standby mode and then started it up again that I'm unable to connect to the
internet. As I said, a full restart always solves the problem.

Perhaps I should also have pointed out that I have a USB wireless network
adapter attached to my PC. Could this be the route of the problem?

> Maxwell Hammer wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but "Power Save Mode" is set to "Disabled". Any other ideas?
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Things to check:
>
> 1. Updates to firmware on the router from Netgear
> 2. Updates to drivers on the wireless adapter.
> 3. I'm not familiar with Virgin.net broadband - do they have any router
> configuration how-to's on their website? Usually you don't have to do
> anything special when you connect a router to your cable/dsl modem, but
> it wouldn't hurt to check.
> 4. Is the cable/dsl modem connection good? Do you have a wired computer
> connected to the router? Does it lose its connectivity also? If so,
> perhaps the problem is with the modem or the router. Connect wired
> directly to the modem - is connectivity good? If not, the modem should
> be replaced. If the modem is fine, then if the wired connectivity to
> the router is spotty, perhaps the router is bad.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Malke

Maxwell Hammer wrote:

> I'll check all these things. I have used Xbox live through a wired
> connection and haven't noticed it losing connectivity. Mind you, I
> have never lost connectivity on the wireless connection when I'm
> ALREADY connected to the internet. It is only when I have put the
> computer into standby mode and then started it up again that I'm
> unable to connect to the internet. As I said, a full restart always
> solves the problem.
>
> Perhaps I should also have pointed out that I have a USB wireless
> network adapter attached to my PC. Could this be the route of the
> problem?

Quite possibly. It seems that your computer shuts off the USB connection
when going into standby. This isn't my area of expertise, so I'm not
sure why it would do that. Hopefully someone who knows the answer will
come along. Of course, you could stop the computer from going into
standby as a workaround.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to answer your question.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Sorry for bringing this up again, just hoping someone can enlighten me.

My problem seems to be whenever I leave the computer on (or in standby) for
a long time and come back to it and try to connect to the internet via my
wireless router (Netgear DG834G). It is seeing a network connection but it
is not finding the internet.

I think the problem is in trying to acquire a new IP address. I think I am
right in thinking that my computer needs to do this each time it connects to
Virgin broadband. Anyway, it is only able to do so when I restart the
computer, and sometimes only after a couple of restarts.

Is there any logical reason for this? Could there be, for example, a setting
on my router which throws it into standby if it's on the same IP address for
a long time? Or could it be that Virgin is updating the IP address after a
while, but my router/computer is unaware of this happening?

Cheers.